Notices

Old 15 Feb 11, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
phil hay
Excited about Disney

Tbh i went to cali two years ago had a great time but no where close to florida the people in cali are very rude and have no time for you unlike fl i did ask a freind of mine who lived there why people never spoke to us or looked at us she said"we dont like to talk to strangers just incase they want to mug us or even worse shot us" and i must say its the only time i have been to the usa and was affraid to leave the i roads,we did go to san diego that was great alot better than LA more relaxed and less stressfull,also went to palm springs out in the desert good place to shop if you like outlets,
phil hay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 11, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by phil hay View Post
Tbh i went to cali two years ago had a great time but no where close to florida the people in cali are very rude and have no time for you unlike fl i did ask a freind of mine who lived there why people never spoke to us or looked at us she said"we dont like to talk to strangers just incase they want to mug us or even worse shot us" and i must say its the only time i have been to the usa and was affraid to leave the i roads,we did go to san diego that was great alot better than LA more relaxed and less stressfull,also went to palm springs out in the desert good place to shop if you like outlets,
The only place in CA I have ever found odd people is Los Angeles. They are a race on their own. Totally stand offish and very false - sorry if anybody comes from there. And we found Hollywood a huge disappointment. If it's "Tinsel town" then it has tarnished. That said the remainder of CA is a blast. I can't wait until we meet up with Amy (Aims) and her husband in San Diego. She has been one massive help with her advice whilst we were putting together this trip and I just know our evening with them is going to be the best. San Franciscans will talk to anybody and we have met some characters along the way - the scenery, especially the coastal drive is breath taking and Napa Valley and its vineyards are a must see. I wouldn't compare Florida to California - it's apples and oranges and both have their good and bad points.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 11, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post

And at last... we are packed:

Old 16 Feb 11, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
The only place in CA I have ever found odd people is Los Angeles. They are a race on their own. Totally stand offish and very false - sorry if anybody comes from there.
I completely agree with you, Geoff. I'm not from LA, but have lived so close to there all my life and spent more than enough time going there to agree with your opinion. It's not a "warm" city, in the way of friendliness. I agree too on Hollywood- not what anyone expects from watching the movies, is it! I know a lot of visitors really want to see it at least once though.

Really looking forward to meeting up with you and your OH, too! Not long now. I just made our dinner reservations at the Boathouse.

P.S. I spy an Unofficial guide to Disneyland there in your suitcase...I prefer those over Birnbaum's too.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941

Edited at 04:17 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 11, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow you will have an amazing time. We LOVE Disneyland and think its a better park than MK but others will disagree. Make sure you do Pirates, Space Mountain and Indy as those 3 alone are better than anything Disneyworld has to offer.

We prefer the Disnyland hotel althogh had a look round the GC. We are not the biggest fans of the Aninal Kingdom Lodge and the GC is very similar...its the same architect I believe who also did WL. Still a gorgeous hotel though!

We also love San Fran so am extremely jealous. Have a wonderful time!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 11, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
PS...the staff at DL were wonderful and both my wife and I agreed were more "magical" than their Floridian counterparts
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 11, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post

We've stayed at Grand Californian before and loved it. I'm into the "Arts & Crafts" movement so love the furniture and the lamps. In fact we bought a lamp in the shop at GC and had to pay $75 to get it back home!

I love the way though that they nicked the rose of Charles Rennie Mackintosh for the Napa Rose restaurant. What has that got to do with Frank Lloyd Wright ? (OK - off my soapbox).
One thing about the hotel though - those huge wooden beams aren't ! On the fourth floor you can reach over the balcony and touch them. They are massive steel girders with mouldings to make them look like wood. Sorry to spoil the illusion. We like the private entrance into DCA. if you use that and walk straight through Condor Flats area and then exit - you are right opposite the entrance for Disneyland. If we have one little regret - we were hoping a friend could get us in at Club 33 (the private restaurant in New Orleans Square). Alas it didn't happen. Well, you can't have everything.

Edited at 03:22 PM.
Old 19 Feb 11, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Well, we are really looking forward to your reports/pics, etc. The drive up Hwy 1 is gorgeous. Might be fun to stop at Hearst Castle if you haven't already seen it.

As a native San Diegan (now transported to the Pacific NW) I'm very interested in your take on "my" home town.

Have a great time, you two, and save some of your heart to leave in our neck of the woods some day.
Old 19 Feb 11, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Have a fabulous time! Very envious - we went to California last year and I can't wait to go back again.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 11, 02:35 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Have a fabulous time! Very envious - we went to California last year and I can't wait to go back again.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List