Notices

Old 6 Aug 12, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post

私たちは、東京ディズニーリゾートに行きます Geoffa & partner

It means we are going to Tokyo Disney Resort!

Having promised we would go this year and then promptly booked for California we have now set dates (29/8 to 6/9)to visit Tokyo Disney Resort in 2013. The trip will only be for a week because of my partner's work commitments but it's somewhere I have longed to visit for a number of years. Whilst it is Disney in ethos it is very different to the parks we know in USA. There is no train running around the Disneyland perimeter - their train runs through Adventureland. They have Tokyo Disneysea which has an erupting volcano (man made) and a ride that is a journey to the centre of the earth! There is a monorail that surrounds both parks and you have to pay to use it!
We'll be using DVC points for this trip and when I tell you that one night in a Disney hotel here averages £400 you can see it isn't
cheap. We have decided to stay at the Mira Costa hotel which is built to look like the buildings and canals of Venice. There are cheaper alternatives - Disney partner hotels surround both parks.
As it is usually an overnight flight to Japan we'll be taking Business Class on the way out (probably BA) and PE on the return journey. At least I'll be able to sleep on a flat bed on the way there. Arrival is around 7a.m.
Reading up on customs etc is interesting. You never hand anything over with one hand. You do it with both - even a credit card. This should be placed in the little dish by the till. It will be returned (with two hands) to the dish with the receipt wrapped around it. In restaurants you may be given a menu with pictures of meals as well as a description. Makes for easier ordering. Bowing is a whole minefield. A CM will bow deeply to a guest but the guest should make a shallower bow in return as they are seen as superior! It should all make for good fun.
Two other Dibbers, James & Emma, are making plans to go in January '13 and we have been PM-ing each other on tips and tricks.
I currently have two books on the go - Tokyo Disney Made Easy and Tokyo Disney Resort - both of which I'm reading avidly.
One recommendation is not use a rental car as all road signs are in Japanese.
We plan to visit Tokyo itself one day of the holiday and the advice here is hire an English speaking guide. You can get hopelessly lost and if you don't speak the language...
Another day will be a trip to see Mount Fuji and its surrounding area. This will involve a trip on the famous Bullet Train.
So - loads to plan.
In the meantime... Sayonara!

Edited at 06:50 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 12, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

That sounds like an amazing trip, I will be keeping an eye out for updates on your plans.
Old 6 Aug 12, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

You will love it! i DID! Although the background story for ToT is very weird! xxx
Old 6 Aug 12, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Disney_Dolly View Post
You will love it! i DID! Although the background story for ToT is very weird! xxx
Did you realise the portrait of Mr Hightower is actually Joe Rhode - one of Disney's Imagineers (who gave us expedition Everest). The reason for the odd background story at ToT is because the Japanese never had Twilight Zone on their TV.
Old 6 Aug 12, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It sounds amazing Geoff...

Happy planning...and i look forward to the trippie.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 12, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
That should be an amazing trip

Will look forward to the first hand report all about it
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 12, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Great stuff - a place I too long to visit - with or without a slice of Disney.

It must be like going to WDW for the first time all over again.

Enjoy!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 12, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Did you realise the portrait of Mr Hightower is actually Joe Rhode - one of Disney's Imagineers (who gave us expedition Everest). The reason for the odd background story at ToT is because the Japanese never had Twilight Zone on their TV.

I didnt know about the imagineer, thats very interesting! My friend did tell me about the no Twilight Zone thing but I still found it very odd. Not sure I liked it tbh. Maybe because I am so used to the usual story?

You always know so many good Disney facts Geoffa!

xxx
Old 6 Aug 12, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Geoffa...really enjoyed your trip report last time at Grand Californian Villas..so looking forward to this trip even more...something that we wouldn't even attempt...but really pleased you are making the effort to share with us..
Old 6 Aug 12, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
How exciting for you ! Can't wait to read your take on it all

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List