Old 30 Oct 14, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
The Seniors quick trip to NYC May 2015

So with just under 7 months to go before we make our next trip across the pond I thought I would start my pre-trippie

Who we are
We are The Seniors (well 3 of us are anyway) and my OH will be coming too.

Helen (me) currently 30 but will be 31 when we go away

My OH Andy 34

My Mum and Dad (they have names too, but I don't call them by their first names ) my Dad will be 60 and my Mum is younger than him

We normally go to Orlando for our holidays (and the 3 of us will be in November) but it is my Dad's 60th birthday next year so we thought we would do something a bit different. We had been trying to decide for ages what we should do for his birthday so when he emailed to say that he would pay for all our flights to New York next May I don't even think I'd read all the email before I had replied to say that we'd be going. My sister and her fiancé were also invited but as they will be on their honeymoon when we go they won't be joining us, and they'll be going away somewhere with my parents at a later date instead).

My parents have been to NYC three times in the past, once with me when I was 18 and then twice since then. I've been once and Andy has never been (he's only ever been to Orlando in America) and it's somewhere I've always wanted to go again as an adult.

When and where

It’s my Dad’s 60th in May next year and it’s also my sister’s wedding, so we are going on 28th May 2015. We will be staying for three nights, which we know is not very long but we feel we can get enough done/seen in three nights and it keeps the cost down quite a bit (we did price up an extra night but it didn’t seem cost efficient to do it).
I started to look up price deals for flights and hotels and came across the BA sale. I think I’ve flown BA in the past to another part of America, but can’t remember where. The main reason why we don’t really use them is because we live in Leeds so it is much easier to fly out of Manchester than one of the London airports. We priced up BA anyway and it was coming out much cheaper than any of the direct flights out of Manchester. We then had an idea to price up how much a connecting flight would be from Leeds/Bradford airport (an airport that is about 15 minute drive from our house). It was the same price as just the flight from Heathrow to JFK. The flights were coming out at about £445 each for a return flight.

We will be leaving Leeds/Bradford at 9.35am and then boarding the plane from Heathrow at 1.10pm and that gets us into JFK at 3.50pm local time. That should give us enough time to enjoy having a general wander round and something to eat that evening. Normally when we go to Orlando we can stay awake until 10 or 11 on that first night and we usually have a much earlier start too so hopefully we can stay awake for something similar in NYC.

Our flight home leaves JFK at 9.50pm on Sunday 31st May so that will give us the morning to do any last minute sightseeing and we land at Heathrow at 9.55am the next morning. We should be back in Leeds for about half 1 in the afternoon.

We then had to decide where to stay, so we started to price up hotels on various websites. We then looked on the BA website for flight plus hotel and found Sheraton Times Square for a total price of £674 each going for three nights (that includes the flight).

The price seems too good to be true so we snapped it up and then decided to get really excited because we were going to New York!
My parents have stayed at the Sheraton Times Square previously and said that it was a nice hotel. I’m just really looking forward to being in the centre of everything.

Coming soon - the plan (that is currently lacking somewhat)
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DapperDisNY
Serious Dibber

DapperDisNY's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds like a great trip plan so far.

Look forward to reading more!

Thanks for Sharing
DapperDisNY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
That was a decent price, hotel looks good.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 14, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Originally Posted by DapperDisNY View Post
Sounds like a great trip plan so far.

Look forward to reading more!

Thanks for Sharing
Thanks for reading, once I get my head around making a plan I'll be able to post an update

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
That was a decent price, hotel looks good.
Thanks for reading, it's a good price isn't it?
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello, I enjoyed reading your Florida trip reports, thanks for sharing. Not sure if you are planning on going to the Statue of Liberty on your upcoming NY trip, if you are tickets for access to the crown are on sale for May, now. They are $23 each, which includes the boat over and entrance to the pedastal, museum and the climb up to the crown.

We are nearer your Dad's age than yours but really enjoyed the SoL, although it could be argued that there are much better views than those from the crown, we do get that "we've been up there" feeling every time we see the Lady on tv.

Tickets do sell out pretty quickly, the best place to book is in the link below. Sorry to have wasted your time if you weren't thinking of going to the SOL. We loved our trip to NY and am sure you will too. Happy planning.

statuecruises/
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I love reading New York trippies, so looking forward to this.

How handy to have a connecting flight from your local airport too.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Can't wait to read more.

We are also doing New York (for the first time) next August before we go down to Orlando (been lots of times)

Theres me (49) My New York obsessed daughter (14) who doesn't know about the New York bit and my Mum (75)

Mum actually went to New York last May for the grand total of 12 hrs! She sailed from the UK to New York and back again on the Queen Mary 2 so it was a whistle stop tour for her.

Looking forward to reading your plans
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 14, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracykph
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Yorkie Girl View Post
So with just under 7 months to go before we make our next trip across the pond I thought I would start my pre-trippie

Who we are
We are The Seniors (well 3 of us are anyway) and my OH will be coming too.

Helen (me) currently 30 but will be 31 when we go away

My OH Andy 34

My Mum and Dad (they have names too, but I don't call them by their first names ) my Dad will be 60 and my Mum is younger than him

We normally go to Orlando for our holidays (and the 3 of us will be in November) but it is my Dad's 60th birthday next year so we thought we would do something a bit different. We had been trying to decide for ages what we should do for his birthday so when he emailed to say that he would pay for all our flights to New York next May I don't even think I'd read all the email before I had replied to say that we'd be going. My sister and her fiancé were also invited but as they will be on their honeymoon when we go they won't be joining us, and they'll be going away somewhere with my parents at a later date instead).

My parents have been to NYC three times in the past, once with me when I was 18 and then twice since then. I've been once and Andy has never been (he's only ever been to Orlando in America) and it's somewhere I've always wanted to go again as an adult.

When and where

It’s my Dad’s 60th in May next year and it’s also my sister’s wedding, so we are going on 28th May 2015. We will be staying for three nights, which we know is not very long but we feel we can get enough done/seen in three nights and it keeps the cost down quite a bit (we did price up an extra night but it didn’t seem cost efficient to do it).
I started to look up price deals for flights and hotels and came across the BA sale. I think I’ve flown BA in the past to another part of America, but can’t remember where. The main reason why we don’t really use them is because we live in Leeds so it is much easier to fly out of Manchester than one of the London airports. We priced up BA anyway and it was coming out much cheaper than any of the direct flights out of Manchester. We then had an idea to price up how much a connecting flight would be from Leeds/Bradford airport (an airport that is about 15 minute drive from our house). It was the same price as just the flight from Heathrow to JFK. The flights were coming out at about £445 each for a return flight.

We will be leaving Leeds/Bradford at 9.35am and then boarding the plane from Heathrow at 1.10pm and that gets us into JFK at 3.50pm local time. That should give us enough time to enjoy having a general wander round and something to eat that evening. Normally when we go to Orlando we can stay awake until 10 or 11 on that first night and we usually have a much earlier start too so hopefully we can stay awake for something similar in NYC.

Our flight home leaves JFK at 9.50pm on Sunday 31st May so that will give us the morning to do any last minute sightseeing and we land at Heathrow at 9.55am the next morning. We should be back in Leeds for about half 1 in the afternoon.

We then had to decide where to stay, so we started to price up hotels on various websites. We then looked on the BA website for flight plus hotel and found Sheraton Times Square for a total price of £674 each going for three nights (that includes the flight).

The price seems too good to be true so we snapped it up and then decided to get really excited because we were going to New York!
My parents have stayed at the Sheraton Times Square previously and said that it was a nice hotel. I’m just really looking forward to being in the centre of everything.

Coming soon - the plan (that is currently lacking somewhat)
Hi

We are flying into JfK and going to Times Square, in June 2015, me and husband first timers, can you advise or recommend the best transport to use from airport to times square? Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Tracy
Tracykph is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 14, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink 45
VIP Dibber

Sounds brilliant, we decided to go to NYC in Nov/Dec 14, it was going to be a short trip too but we priced internal flights from NYC to Orlando! It was too good a price to pass up on! maybe worth a look if you have the holidays! Enjoy! X
Tink 45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 14, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracykph View Post
Hi

We are flying into JfK and going to Times Square, in June 2015, me and husband first timers, can you advise or recommend the best transport to use from airport to times square? Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Tracy
I would recommend the subway, currently $7.50 each way, takes a good hour but should be a direct subway to TS. You have to use the Air train to connect with the subway but we found it very easy to navigate.

A great journey planner on the MTA website below, you should be able to find your hotel on the destination finder and it will show the best route to the nearest station.

mta.info/
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List