Notices

Old 14 Nov 14, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

2015 US Southern Road Trip

Hi,

First ever pre trip report so not too sure how to do all the links and everything hopefully I will figure it out as I go along. We are a family of four from Southern Ireland Dad, Mom and two teenager daughters who will be 16 and 14 when we travel. We enjoy theme parks, sight seeing and lots of shopping.

30th May - Flights with US Airways direct from Dublin to Charlotte NC where we plan to collect car and drive to Gatlinburg TN. Here we have prebooked the River Terrace Resort for 5 nights. We did look at cabins but prefer to be in walking distance to shops and restaurants. The plan is to visit Dollywood and Waterpark, Cades Cove, Roaring Forks Motor Trail and maybe Clingman's Dome.

3rd June - Drive to Chatanooga and stay in the Choo Choo Hotel for one night. Here we will visit Lookout Mountain.

4th June - Drive to Atlanta and stay in the Hilton Garden Inn next to the World of Coke. Have yet to finalise what else we will visit here but I am considering CNN tour, Margaret Mitchel House or possibly Gone with the Wind Tour or the King Centre. I will do one of these with the World of Coke.

5th June - Drive to Savannah and stay in the Inn at Elis Island for 2 nights. Plan to meander along River Street, book a tour and maybe visit the graveyard.

7th June - On to Charleston I have booked the Hampton Inn in the Historic District for 2 nights. Again maybe a hop on hop off type of tour and I want to visit Boone Plantation.

9th June - Myrtle Beach for four days relaxation on the beach in the Breakers Resort. Plan here is shop till we drop and a little beach time.

13th June - Drive to Charlotte and fly home

Any suggestions, tips or recommendations on must sees that I may have overlooked.

Thanks for reading,
Old 14 Nov 14, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That sounds lovely, a few things there I never heard of so will be looking forward to your trip report.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 14, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
That sounds lovely, a few things there I never heard of so will be looking forward to your trip report.
Thanks I am so looking forward to this trip but I have a long time to wait! Enjoy your trip I noticed from your countdown that you are heading shortly. We are neighbours I'm from County Waterford.
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Glad you posted as I am in the process (well very early days) of planning a 5 week road trip and visiting some of the places you have listed.

We will be going Sept/Oct 2015 so look forward to reading your updates.

My birthday is in September so am hoping to book a show and pre show tour of the Grand Ole Opry on the night.
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
Glad you posted as I am in the process (well very early days) of planning a 5 week road trip and visiting some of the places you have listed.

My birthday is in September so am hoping to book a show and pre show tour of the Grand Ole Opry on the night.
Grand Ole Opry was great... Absolutely loved Nashville!
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

Hi Heather I would love a 5 week road trip and hope you enjoy yours. It takes so much planning originally we were going to focus the majority of our holiday in the Smokie Mountains and include Nashville and Memphis but because of the teenagers looked at the alternatives. I really wanted to stay in the Grand Old Opry Hotel it looks amazing and also to visit Graceland but in the end went for a looped trip with more activities to keep the girls happy. Good plan for your birthday.
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Irelandmaryd View Post
Hi Heather I would love a 5 week road trip and hope you enjoy yours. It takes so much planning originally we were going to focus the majority of our holiday in the Smokie Mountains and include Nashville and Memphis but because of the teenagers looked at the alternatives. I really wanted to stay in the Grand Old Opry Hotel it looks amazing and also to visit Graceland but in the end went for a looped trip with more activities to keep the girls happy. Good plan for your birthday.
Your trip sounds amazing btw, but if you can fit in Nashville or Memphis or both I would highly recommend it.

Opryland was fantastic... Had a walk round and some lunch!
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Grand Ole Opry was great... Absolutely loved Nashville!
I'm a big Country fan so it just had to be done, it'll be a bit of a dream come true.

Originally Posted by Irelandmaryd View Post
I can imagine how much planning it must have taken especially trying to keep everyone happy.

I think you have done really well and I will certainly be looking at some of your options.

I have to admit Myrtle Beach is tempting depending on weather, I gather it is very popular with golfers - not that either myself or my friend play.
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Your trip sounds amazing btw, but if you can fit in Nashville or Memphis or both I would highly recommend it.

Opryland was fantastic... Had a walk round and some lunch!
Thanks Mike I am looking forward to it. I would have loved to stay in the opryland it was going to be my splurge hotel for the holiday but alas plans are made to be tweaked. Maybe next time.
Old 14 Nov 14, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

I'm a big Country fan so it just had to be done, it'll be a bit of a dream come true.

I can imagine how much planning it must have taken especially trying to keep everyone happy.

I think you have done really well and I will certainly be looking at some of your options.

I have to admit Myrtle Beach is tempting depending on weather, I gather it is very popular with golfers - not that either myself or my friend play.
Non golfers here also but we do play a mean game of mini golf! Looking forward to your report Heather it should be amazing. Best part of holiday is researching and looking forward to it.