Notices

Old 29 May 16, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Now I know that some of the places on our list are not top of everyones list for holiday hotspots, but we love urban landscapes, street art and history. For the States this area has bags of all of them.
Well even if they're not, it's always interesting to read about somewhere different and of course, not everyone likes the same sort of holiday. I'm sure you'll have fun and I look forward to reading along with your plans
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Rossalino View Post
Well even if they're not, it's always interesting to read about somewhere different and of course, not everyone likes the same sort of holiday. I'm sure you'll have fun and I look forward to reading along with your plans
One of my colleagues who grew up in Cleveland, thought we're mad But as I have pointed out to her - I would think she was mad too is she wanted to go Leicester on holiday. She then pointed out things she loved about Leicester - we called it a draw at this point

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 16, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really like the fact that you are visiting some very different places in the US to most holidaymakers. Look forward to reading all about it
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 16, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Sounds like a great plan! I think it's brilliant to go off the beaten track and not the usual tourist spots every now and then!
Old 5 Jun 16, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Planning Day One - The Flight to Toronto

Thank you for all your kind comments, its great to read them Now on the details, starting with travel day.

We are dropping the small furry members of the household off for their holidays on the day before we fly, which will give just a full day to tidy and pack without their help. Here they are preparing for their holiday last year (eatting off the Disney Halloween Mats we gave them as a welcome home present the year before - Spoilt? Much?)

Once packed we will probably go out for something nice to eat in the evening, not too heavy but filling. I suffer from very bad travel sickness so don't eat on planes. I need to eat well the day before (!)

We love travelling from Bristol Airport, its about 40 minutes away from where we live so there is no need for an overnight stay. Also if you are not familiar with the airport, its a tiny, single terminal building with most of the parking on site.

We have a 3hr flight to Iceland, a 80 min stopover and then a 5hr flight to Pearson in Toronto. I am looking forward to this as its a nice break in the journey. I have booked XXL leg rooms seats for the all the legs so we will have room to stretch out.

We are booked into a small Guest House (King size bed and en-suite) in the Cabbage Town district. This is costing us Can$80 per night and they will also arrange transport from the airport for Can$60. As we are not picking the car up for a couple of days, we have also booked this.

We are going to just have a quiet drink as we won't get to the guest house until 7pm (ish). There are lots of great little pubs in the area which we are having problems choosing one for our first night.

We are looking at House on Parliament, a tradional Cask Ale pub which serves a range of beers (including London Pride) and does a standard pub fare menu and some nice desserts :-)

Or a new Gastropub on the block called the Irv, which does an even more amazing range of beers, the menu (especially the cheese toasties) looks fab but no desserts.

If anyone has been to either of these, let me know.

First Day Essentials
Cattery - Booked
Parking at Bristol - To do
Flights - Booked
Holiday Ribbon From StationeryGuru - Received
ETA - Completed
Transport to Hotel - Booked
Hotels - Booked
Entertainment for Plane - To Do

Thanks for Reading - on to planning day 2

Trip Reports
Old 11 Jun 16, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Planning Day Two - Walking Around Toronto

Update on planning. I have booked the car parking for Bristol Airport and we have got tickets for the World Cup of Hockey for our Day Three.

Anyway, back to day two. We are stopping in the "Comfy Guest House" in Cabbagetown and our aim for two is to soak up as much of the urban life of Toronto as possible. But first breakfast, I have opted for a local diner called Chew Chew, which has good write ups. Its about 5 minutes from where we are stopping.

We are then walking on another 10 minutes to College Metro station to pick up day travel passes. I am expecting most of the day will be walking but good to have in the back pocket just in case.

We will then be walking around some of the great sites of the Northern side of Toronto (we are doing the shoreline tomorrow) these include - the Royal Ontario Museum, Kensington Market, Queen Street West, The Town Halls, The Art Gallery and Art College, Eatons, PATH system and finishing up at the Dundas-Yonge Square for supper (which is only 15 minutes from the Guest House).

We haven't decided (what do I mean we?) I haven't decided where we want to eat in the evening but The Three Brewers is currently leading.

There are so many amazing things to see, I have had problems getting it down to a reasonable list. But it should be a great day and I am really looking forward to it.

Day Two Essentials

Can$$
Day Travel Passes (bought on the day)
This is a really easy day cost wise

Next Post... On the Boardwalk... Down by the (Lake)

Trip Reports

Edited at 08:41 PM.
Old 11 Jun 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

I can't wait to read more!

We went to Toronto and surrounding areas in September last year and have just come back from a road trip from Houston to Toronto. Also stopping in Cleveland Ohio for 1 night.

Our last night was spent in the Yonge street area and we had drinks in the 3 Brewers. It's an amazing bar and the food sounded amazing. Amsterdam Brewhouse is good too and by the shore.

If you need any help with anything send me a message! You will have an amazing trip.
Old 19 Jun 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Planning Day Three - CN Tower and Hockey

After all the walking we have planned for the day before we have a slighly slower day scheduled for today. First off we have breakfast, I am not sure where but it will be in and around the CN Tower as this what we have planned for the morning.

I don't do heights but Mr W is really looking forward to this, he has decided against doing the skywalk, thankfully. However I am planning at least coffee at some point whilst he does the glass floor segment.

Afterwards we have tickets for the World Cup of Hockey. I have got these from Stubhub. I was a little wary of doing this as you hear all sorts of horror stories. But there seems to be a more positive approach nower days - so I am willing to give it a go.

Once the match is over, we are going to walk down to the Harbourside and take a walk along the seafront before finishing off at the Amsterdam Brewhouse. I love the look of the menu here and Mr W loves the look at the beer list - a win win situation.

We are then going to head back up to the guest house to get some pictures of Yonge Street in the dark once its lit up.

Tomorrow we pick up the car and get moving

Trip Reports
Old 19 Jun 16, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Wow great trip! I'm coming up with options for next year as we are on a bit more of a budget next year than previous years but the USA is still pulling me back. Doing something with Toronto is one of my options so reading with interest!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 16, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

We are going to Toronto in 5 weeks, like you we saw cheap flights with a different airline and snapped them up on a whim! I'm feeling very underplayed though compared to you, we have our hotels etc booked and an idea of some things to do but that's it! Will play it by ear in terms of places to eat etc!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List