Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 May 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzny Momma
Excited about Disney

Wild Africa Trek

Has anyone done this ? Apparently my daughter has booked this but I am terrified about the rope bridge walkway, I cannot even walk up an open staircase or more than 4 rungs on a ladder, so the question I would like answering is there another route to avoid that part of the trek.
Margaret
Dizzny Momma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mortie
Getting Excited

I don’t think so. I did this a few years back and the bridge did have a few planks missing (if I recall with netting there) to give it jeopardy, remember though this is Disney and it is safe, you are harnessed. I would ring Disney to chat about your concerns so they can reassure you. My worst part was when they weigh you at the beginning! Luckily they don’t do it in public. I really enjoyed the tour and would do it again. Hope this has helped and not put you off further
Mortie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

Like you I'm petrified of heights (I had to be rescued at school from the second rung up on the monkey bars because I had frozen in fear!) but I was able to do Wild Africa Trek OK by not looking down between the planks of the bridge. You are always attached to a safety line so I felt very safe. And it was a relatively short part of the overall experience which I loved! As said above, a chat to Disney might help reassure you.
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzny Momma
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the info. My problem is that I know it's all going to be safe etc but my head and body tells me it's a problem I just can't deal with heights, if it was a 'non see through' walkway I would be ok. I will contact Disney to confirm my fears
Margaret
Dizzny Momma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mortie
Getting Excited

Hi Margaret was just browsing the Disney Blog and there is some blurb there and a small video that briefly shows the bridge, it is from May 16 and is about 12 secs in
Mortie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
OP, I was like you and I managed fine, by looking ahead of me, not down. I felt safe because of the harness. It was a great excusrion, not to be missed.
Old 22 May 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

There’s actually two bridges, you walk across the first to the change point then across the second.

Both are short and you don’t need to stop (although some people do to take photos etc and the cast members also take your photo whilst you cross).

The missing planks is total theatre there’s no danger at all, the underneath has netting if you were to misplace a step and you’re also wearing a harness.

Also remember the US is a very litigious country so they’ll make sure customers are as safe as possible.

Great experience and I would love to do it again, but I don’t think there’s a ‘chicken exit’ like on some of the rides so you would need to go across if talking part (unless it’s changed in last 2 years).

Have a fab time 👍🏻
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I did it with a nervous person in the tour group (I didn't know them).

The staff were very good with them, and I'm sure that there is an alternative route if needed.
Old 22 May 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

There isn't an alternative route unfortunately, WDW do advise doing a different (their words are less strenuous) program if you're unable to do the trek.

As has been said though, it's pure theatre. I'm not the best with heights and this didn't phase me at all.

From WDW...
You must have physical stamina, comfort with heights, and the surefootedness to negotiate small hills, foliage and unsteady rope bridges on this tour. Guests seeking a less strenuous or wheelchair-accessible trek should contact Wild Africa Trek operations at (407) WDW-TOUR or (407) 939-8687 for alternative programs.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dondy1985
I want to go now!

Mobile

I am terrified of heights (can’t walk up open stairways or stand at the edge of high places) and managed to do this.

The cast member was brilliant, I told her I was nervous and she let me go last when the bridge was clear so there was no swinging. She also let me take my time.

It really was worth it!
Dondy1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List