Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Jun 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney troops
Earning More Ears

Parks and family

Hi.

We leave for Orlando next Friday... had the chat there will be grumpy times, tantrums, amazing times and out of the world times... which was explained to the... hubby lol. We are travelling with two young children... nearly 3 and 6 no doubt it will be crazy, amazing, out of the world experiences along with the heat and the usual general brats if they see a toy shop every day. We are taking two prams... How do you all cope and keep calm than drink alcohol lol. We are staying in a villa. In my head thinking park in morning, chill out in afternoon and then park at night... any other suggestions?

Edited at 09:47 PM.
disney troops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Firstly it's never as bad as you think it will be.
My only advice is accept you can't cram everything in. I think as adults we build up the expectations so high and plan to do so much when in reality the kids are just as happy splashing around in the pool
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We don’t go out in the evenings with young ones. We head out early and make the most of the cooler temperatures and quieter parks. We don’t rush around, taking lots of brakes with a iced water whilst sitting in the shade.
We generally have early ish dinner (4-5pm) then head back to villa to chill out, play in the pool then have an early night.
Mine have never bothered with wanting anything from the shops but they have enjoyed collecting the presses pennies.
My main advice is to take is easy, nothing worse than a tired, cranky child (or husband &#128521
3&6 are such magical ages! You will have an amazing time!
Drink loads, plenty sun cream, hats, get as much shade as possible, relax and most of all ENJOY 😊
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
disney troops
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We don’t go out in the evenings with young ones. We head out early and make the most of the cooler temperatures and quieter parks. We don’t rush around, taking lots of brakes with a iced water whilst sitting in the shade.
We generally have early ish dinner (4-5pm) then head back to villa to chill out, play in the pool then have an early night.
Mine have never bothered with wanting anything from the shops but they have enjoyed collecting the presses pennies.
My main advice is to take is easy, nothing worse than a tired, cranky child (or husband &#128521
3&6 are such magical ages! You will have an amazing time!
Drink loads, plenty sun cream, hats, get as much shade as possible, relax and most of all ENJOY 😊
Drink loads of what? Alcohol lol... on a serious note though my youngest is quite a character... doesn't shut up, like to do runners and demand something out of every shop. I just want to go at their pace and get the hubby to take note what he has been told haha
disney troops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If the villa doesn’t have a cool box invest in a polystyrene one fill with ice and keep drinks and snacks in it in the car it’s amazing how thirsty you get on the way back to the car
Take a towel to cover the car seat nothing worse than sitting a child in a seat that may have clips or fastener that’s red hot
Don’t over pack use the villa washer and take spare clothes so they can cool down in the splash zones our Gds spent hours in them last week
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Firstly it's never as bad as you think it will be.
My only advice is accept you can't cram everything in. I think as adults we build up the expectations so high and plan to do so much when in reality the kids are just as happy splashing around in the pool
Totally agree.

Make plans, but accept they may go in the bin 10 mins after you arrive.

Better to miss half the rides and shows and have a happy family. Good excuse to return!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Charl_bb
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Go back to your accommodation if anyone has had enough. You can go back later if you want, or you might not want to! It's better to miss a few things on your to do list than drag grumpy people (including yourself) round a park.
Also, snacks. Lots of them. And water. Lots of it.
Charl_bb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

We’re going back with my nephews this time. He’s 6, but he likes to visit every toy shop. I’m thinking of creating him something visual so he understand how much money he has left. Maybe like a little colour diagram so he has a budget and every time he buys something we colour it in so he can see he’s halfway through his money, etc.
Alternatively I might do a chart where he has $10 a day, if he wants he can keep $10 to roll over into the next day and so on. But if he can’t wait then his limit is $10 and we cross it off his chart - not going to get him far in Disney! We’re giving him our $200 gift card as his spend money. So he will have left over, so we were thinking good behaviour = $5 bonus. Tantrums and say goodbye to it.
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Don’t over think things, just be sensible in what you do. If you notice the kids getting the grumps, then take some shade and shelter from the heat, get a cold drink and have some time out. The adults are more likely to get grumpy than the kids in my family lol. Again, if it gets too much, leave the parks and head back for pool time and some rest, and go back out in the evenings. Keep hydrated because I noticed when mine were younger they never drank enough and that would turn them into cranky little demons. You both just have to be firm with the kids about wanting to buy everything. Easiest way I found was giving them a budget every day, the youngest might not get it but the oldest will. If all else fails just keep feeding them and eventually they will fill too full to get aggy & go to sleep...hubby aswell 😂

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NeeNeeWong View Post
We’re going back with my nephews this time. He’s 6, but he likes to visit every toy shop. I’m thinking of creating him something visual so he understand how much money he has left. Maybe like a little colour diagram so he has a budget and every time he buys something we colour it in so he can see he’s halfway through his money, etc.
Alternatively I might do a chart where he has $10 a day, if he wants he can keep $10 to roll over into the next day and so on. But if he can’t wait then his limit is $10 and we cross it off his chart - not going to get him far in Disney! We’re giving him our $200 gift card as his spend money. So he will have left over, so we were thinking good behaviour = $5 bonus. Tantrums and say goodbye to it.
To me that is overthinking it. At 6 years old I wouldn't even bother explaining a money allowance and I reward good behaviour with a treat not money.