Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Nov 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KATIEMAC
Apprentice Imagineer

New York New York half-term day 3 Hamilton stuff and One World Observatory

Sunday

Waking up a bit later, but still down to breakfast at a decent time. The weather forecast is dry and sunny, but a bit windy and chilly! On the news is talk of this billion dollar lottery that will be drawn on Tuesday night. A billion dollars, can you imagine winning that much money?

We walk down to the Flatiron building and yes it is windy and rather cold, and I can’t find my gloves (oh, that’s because they were left at home). It’s nice and quiet and we have an easy stroll down 5th Avenue. The park next to the Flatiron building has a dog run and there are plenty of dogs having fun, playing nicely in such a small space. The must be very well trained.

We make our way towards Herald Square, to the Manhattan Mall. We’ve forgotten a few things , DD - pyjamas, me…socks! So first drop into Target across from Macy’s, then into Aeropostale to see what deals they have on. I find their hoodies really warm and good value. We spend some time browsing, we’re not in NYC to shop (more on that later in the week) and then find a great diner nearby for a late lunch.

Back to the hotel to drop off shopping, then to the subway, our nearest station is 34th Herald Square, a couple of minutes walk.

I’ve mentioned Hamilton and our slight obsession with the musical, so before we go to the One World Observatory for 4.45pm, we have something else planned.

Trinity Church, next to Wall Street is where Alexander Hamilton is buried, along with his wife, his sister-in-law and his son. The graves are well looked after and we spent time, reading the headstones, then went inside the church. After seeing the musical and learning what this founding father achieved, it was quite special to be there. I wonder if the amount of visitors has increased since the musical came out? DH, is just going with the flow, since it’s making DD and I happy.

Stopping to buy some snacks, we thought we may as well buy a lottery ticket too, well you’ve got to be in it to win it, haven’t you?

Trinity Church is very close to the 9/11 memorial, which was our next stop. We had visited the museum a couple of years ago, so we walked round reading some of the names of those who lost their lives on that horrific day. Did you know that on people’s birthday, staff put a flower next to their name? Touching.

We walk through Oculus, the big white transit building and follow signs to the One World Observatory. I’d deliberately chosen 4.45pm, so DD could see the view in the daylight, sunset and finally at night. David and I had visited last year, so we knew what to expect.
As your tickets are zapped and you go through security there is a big map with visitor statistics as you arrive. That day, the largest number of visitors came from the UK, we heard lots of Scottish and English accents.

The day was completely clear and we could see to the horizon 42 miles away. Apparently last week, visibility was next to nothing!
Since it’s inside with 360 degree views, we spent several hours on the 102 floor just watching the landscape change and the lights come on. I just had my iPhone with me, so not the greatest of pictures.

We had decided to go to Little Italy for dinner as we hadn’t visited that neighbourhood. We took the subway, then following Google maps ended up not where we were expecting, near a Correction Centre and a park with groups of people hanging about, felt slight uncomfortable as it was very quiet. Did a quick about-turn and with DH in charge of my phone we go off in the right direction. I’m pretty tech-savvy, but walking with Google maps does my head in.

We finally arrive in Mulberry Street, which is full of Italian restaurants. We hadn’t decided on a particular one, we liked the look of a traditional one with a wood fired pizza oven, so decision made.

Great pizza for David and I and DD had pasta and tomato sauce, her vegan standy-by. We shared a dessert. $71.10 including the tip.

Felling suitably stuffed, head to the subway just a couple of stops to 34th Herald Square and feet up!
Distance walked 13.2km.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
2009 Villa, Clearwater and POR / 2011 Villa Lake Berkley 2013 Townhouse Lake Berkley 2016 New York - Nashville - Memphis - Tampa - Universal Studios
2017 NYC, 2018 NYC

Edited at 10:49 PM.
KATIEMAC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Another great day. I showed my daughter your photos of the graves - since seeing the musical she has more of an interest in the founding fathers so I bet you are right and there are more visitors now.

Great views from the One World Observatory.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Great day. OWO has great views😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Great pictures. We did it during the day - I think you made the best choice of seeing the sunset and the lights.