Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Sep 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG New York Surprise - 16th August 2018 - SoL, 9/11 Museum & Brooklyn Bridge

Day 1

I was awake at 5.30 this morning, so not too bad for first day jet lag. It must have been the crazy long day we had yesterday!
Jim had woken in the middle of the night and gone to watch tv in the living room then promptly fallen asleep on the sofa, so I left sleeping beauty and sorted some bits out in the bedroom.

Once up, we all had showers and were ready to leave for 8.15am.
I ordered us an Uber to take us to Liberty State Park where we would be getting the Statue Cruises Ferry over to Liberty Island.

Only had to wait a few minutes before our driver turned up. When we drove round the corner we noticed that one of the adjacent roads had been taped off by police and a quite a few cop cars were present. This further fuelled Jim’s thinking we were in the ghetto as he was adamant there had been a homicide

The driver pulled up and I instantly knew we were in the wrong place. I was showing him on my phone where we should actually be but he spoke no English so wasn’t understanding! He finally got what I was trying to say but we had to pay him cash to get us to the boat dock . We were now cutting it very fine for our ferry time so I just agreed to give him $5 before he kicked us out in the middle of the park!
5 minutes later we finally got to where we needed to be.

We walked through the historic railway terminal that was devastated by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. After $20 million and 4 years it finally reopened. It was at this terminal that millions of immigrants from Ellis Island boarded trains to their new lives. Very interesting!

We needn’t have rushed as there was a bit of a queue and the next boat hadn’t arrived yet.
First had to go through airport style security then join the back of the queue. We didn’t have to wait long for the boat to arrive and we were soon onboard. It was nice and empty at this time in the morning.

First stop was at Ellis Island but we didn’t get off as wanted to get to Statue of Liberty before hanger set in!

We were soon pulling into Liberty Island with some amazing views of the Statue

Once off the ferry I got the kids some crisps from the kiosk to tie them over before breakfast.
However to go up the Pedestal we had to put drinks and crisps in a locker, only water is allowed up.
We went through airport security again but it doesn’t take long at all.

Hope and I wimped out and took the lift up but Jim and Sam braved the 192 steps to get to the pedestal
Absolutely stunning views of Manhattan from the top!

Something I had really noticed was the amount of helicopters circling the city, it was very obvious from here on the island. It did make me feel safer though.
We spent a little time admiring the view and taking many photos before going back down. I’m very glad I hadn’t booked Crown tickets as I wouldn’t have made it up there . It was high!

Hanger had now set in with Jim so we missed the museum . I told him he should have got some crisps!
I retrieved our belongings from the locker and bought myself a magnet and postcard, $5.12 for both.

We walked back to ferry stop, but had just missed one. It didn’t take long for the next one to arrive.
We sat up top which was a bit of a mistake as the very annoying crew member who was in charge of getting everyone on board was practically shouting the same instruction over and over. We were sat right by the speaker and he would just not shut up . People as far as Philadelphia got the gist that he wanted people to board quickly and that there were 2 entrances into the boat!

It was now 11am and I was also ready for something to eat. I probably should have planned breakfast for before, oops
We stopped again at Ellis island but we stayed on to get off at Battery Park.

From here we followed the iPhone map and walked up to George’s Diner for breakfast, we were all starving by now. This place had come highly recommended on here and I couldn’t wait to try it.
We got seated straight away upstairs.

I had a hankering for an omelette so ordered a cheese one with hash browns and an English muffin for me, a chicken & bacon club sandwich for Jim, Cheeseburger for Hope and a BLT for Sam. 3 x Diet Cokes, a Coffee and an Oreo milkshake for Sam.
We had to wait a little while for it to arrive but we didn’t mind, we were very happy just soaking up the atmosphere of this very locals place.
The food was really very good, we attacked it like wolves we were that hungry

The bill came to $69, we left $81 with 18% tip.

With very full bellies we slowly walked up to the 9/11 memorial pools now. What can I say, seeing them were very moving. There was a very sombre mood around the area apart from the few idiots taking selfies and fluffing their hair to get the best picture

We hadn’t pre booked tickets to the museum as we weren’t sure how the kids would feel but when asked they wanted to go in.
We used the ticket machines located at the side of the building, the total was $91 for the 4 of us.

To start we went to watch a short film that started at 1pm and was a series of interviews with key figures at the time from George Bush to Condoleezza Rice, Mayor Giuliani and the Commissioner. It was really very moving, with them talking about where they were that day and the events that unfolded in the aftermath. It was very informative, even George Bush came off well...

We now went down to the exhibition. We read loads of interesting facts and timelines of exactly what happened on that fateful day. Some bits I could remember but some were new to me or I had forgotten about. The photos and film footage were particularly thought provoking. Sam was so interested in learning everything he could. I don’t think his relatively innocent mind could digest all that he was reading. He was asking so many questions, some I could answer but some we had to read to find out.
Again there were idiots taking selfies in front of certain exhibits, very disrespectful I thought

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say I’m not entirely comfortable with the whole museum idea and making huge profits from the disaster. Whilst very educational it seemed very commercial. We did learn lots though, I can’t believe it was 17 years ago.
We had spent over 2 hours in there!

Hope had spotted a tacky NY shop close by that she wanted to look in. She bought a t shirt for $18, I bought a NY license plate, magnet and postcard and Jim 3 mini license plates with his, dads and friends names on for their golf trollies

We now walked to Fulton Street subway station.

We got very confused again trying to get tickets. No notes were accepted in these machines and it was asking for a zip code again. Just tried last years villa’s one by chance, 34747. It worked! Hooray

We got on the 8th Av Express train towards Brooklyn and got off at High St, it was only one stop.
Not really knowing where we were supposed to be going we just headed down towards the water to stop for a drink. We were still full from brunch which was a shame as I wanted to try a slice of pizza from either Juliana’s or Grimaldis.

We sat down for half an hour to rejuvenate before the mammoth walk back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge. We had a stunning view of the city and bridge from here.

Once rehydrated we now tried to find the entrance to the bridge. We couldn’t find access up at all. I was under the impression you could get up from near the water but nooooo you have to practically walk right back to the beginning and go up from there! Slightly fraught moment that resulted in crossed words with Jim

As expected it was very busy walking trying to avoid the vicious cyclists and pedestrians coming the opposite way.
Fantastic views of Manhattan skyline though that made up for it!

We were getting hungry now and our feet were aching so joint decision made to get dinner now. It was 6pm already!
I had Ryan Maguire’s Ale House noted down for dinner so put that in my Maps. It took about 10 minutes to walk there so not far.

We were seated straight away in the back of the pub in the restaurant part. It was very popular with business people coming in for an after work drink
I spotted the cocktail menu straight away so ordered a Brazilian Cosmo, Jim pint of Guinness, Hope a Diet Coke and Sam a Lemonade.

I had already perused the menu online, obviously so knew what I was having. I went with the chicken pot pie, Jim the fish and chips, Hope chicken tenders and fries and Sam only wanted a portion of onion rings.
OMG the pie was amazing! Chicken, veg and potato in a creamy white sauce topped with flaky puff pastry. So good and just what I needed.

The Cosmo hit the spot too, nice and strong! We had a lovely Irish server who we got chatting to throughout the meal.
The bill came to $100 including full 20% tip.

We now walked back across to the World Trade Center to catch the PATH train back to Hoboken. The station is in the brand new Westfield shopping centre. It’s huge!

Hope spotted someone with Victoria Secrets Pink bags so asked if we could have a look. Unfortunately it’s not a big store and it didn’t have the hoody she wanted. I told her to wait for the outlets in Florida as it would probably be cheaper. The shopping mall was mostly high end stores which are out of our price range so we went to catch the train.
As we are now experts, tonight was much easier in buying tickets. 4x single journeys $2.75 each.

It was 3 stops back to Hoboken and only took 10 mins.
We really liked the look of Hoboken so went for a wander. Found Carlos Bakery but nobody fancied anything though

Cold Stone Creamery was just over road so we went there for dessert.
Ooh the choices

I went with Cake Batter and Cookie Dough ice cream with white choc chips and whipped cream, Sweet Cream and Oreo ice cream with fudge sauce for Jim and vanilla milkshake for Hope. Sam didn’t want one, weirdo
OMG so good! Just looking at them is enough to send someone into a sugar induced coma
My eyes were definitely bigger than my belly though as I couldn’t finish it. Fail!

Once done we ordered an Uber back to apartment, thankfully we had a really lovely driver tonight who knew exactly where he was going! Back home for 8.30 where we chilled out watching Netflix for an hour or two.

My phone had registered 17,568 steps today and my feet are feeling every single one of them

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 12:06 AM.
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Loving your report and your fabulous photos !

I have been having serious doubts about my trip to New York, thinking I have made a mistake booking. Your report is actually making me feel a lot better and I am looking forward to it again now.

Have noted down Ryan Maguires. Your meals all look good and $100 is pretty good for 4 adults in a major city.

Thinking of the security getting in to buildings I take it you always have to carry your passport around. I will be worried sick about carrying them about !

Edited at 04:47 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Really enjoying your report 😀
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another good day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The statue of liberty looks beautiful in the sun. I can't believe you didn't do the stairs...How lazy! We had rain the whole time we were on liberty island and had to run back to the boat dock. It looks like you had a much more pleasant morning.

The views from Brooklyn over to Manhattan are awesome aren't they? It's great walking over the bridge back into the city. Everywhere you look seems to be familiar, I guess it's because we've seen so many episodes of Friends or movies set in NYC.

It sounds like you had a brilliant day and the dinner looked delicious, then ice cream for pudding. Yummy.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Loving your report and your fabulous photos !

I have been having serious doubts about my trip to New York, thinking I have made a mistake booking. Your report is actually making me feel a lot better and I am looking forward to it again now.

Have noted down Ryan Maguires. Your meals all look good and $100 is pretty good for 4 adults in a major city.

Thinking of the security getting in to buildings I take it you always have to carry your passport around. I will be worried sick about carrying them about !
Thank you! I'm sure you will absolutely love NY as did I.
Ooh you must try Ryan Maguire's, when I go back it will be a must do restaurant to return to.
Don't worry we didn't carry our passports around with us, its just airport style security scanners that they have in most major tourist attractions. They are very well organised though

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
Really enjoying your report 😀
Thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 29 Sep 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
another good day
Thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 29 Sep 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The statue of liberty looks beautiful in the sun. I can't believe you didn't do the stairs...How lazy! We had rain the whole time we were on liberty island and had to run back to the boat dock. It looks like you had a much more pleasant morning.

The views from Brooklyn over to Manhattan are awesome aren't they? It's great walking over the bridge back into the city. Everywhere you look seems to be familiar, I guess it's because we've seen so many episodes of Friends or movies set in NYC.

It sounds like you had a brilliant day and the dinner looked delicious, then ice cream for pudding. Yummy.
Haha yes I'm extremely lazy . We had lovely weather for the first couple of days but then it rained for the last 2 which wasn't great but thankfully didn't ruin any plans!
Walking around NY really does make you think you're in a giant movie set. Since coming home, any programme we watch that is set there I keep looking out for places we have been to and getting very excited when I recognise somewhere
Pudding is the most important meal of the day and Coldstone Creamery is just amazing
Thank you as ever for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 30 Sep 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

Aww, we have so many similar photos, it makes me happy and sad at the same time! We can’t wait to go back. I regret not buying NY stuff, the magnets, cups, T-shirt’s, yours look fab.
Everytime something NY comes on the tv, I shout “I’ve been there!” 😀
We had a similar first day, we did the Staten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, Battery Park and walk back over Brooklyn Bridge. We ate at Juliana’s, and it was delicious.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List