Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Mar 14, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Harrods Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Review

I thought I would post a mini review of our Harrods BBB experience a couple of weeks ago as we have now done both Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques (our WDW visit was at Cinderella's Castle in 2012.) I have posted this as a reply in a chat thread too but I thought it might be helpful as a seperate thread in case any Dibbers are considering booking and would like to see pictures and hear about our experience

I must admit I was horrified by the price at Harrods and was very reluctant to book it, thinking it couldn't possibly be as good as BBB at the castle. We all (DH, me and our DDs 7 and 6 who had it done) actually came away thinking the Harrods experience was much better

For context, we had the 'middle' package at WDW which was $57.95 + tax each in the end in 2012 and included hair, nails and make-up but no outfit or tiara

BBB is much smaller and less chaotic at Harrods. There are eight 'stations' in the room and each one has a prop representing one of the Princesses which the Fairy Godmothers in training (FGITs) use to chat to the girls about, explaining that the relevant princess likes to sit in that particular seat when she's at the BBB. Seren was at Belle's station with the rose in the glass jar (what's it called? ) and Freya was at Rapunzel's with the artist's palette. They both ended up, completely coincidentally, at their favourite princess's station The stations in London are in the middle of the room with parents chilling on sofas around the edge, whereas in Florida it's the opposite way around (and therefore not enough seating for the parents in our experience)

Because it's smaller and less chaotic, the girls got a much more personal experience. Their FGiTs led them through some corridors to the room building a story with props and a special video (won't go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil it.) The girls were much less shy and more relaxed than I had expected them to be as their lovely FGiTs were such sweet friendly girls. They asked Seren and Freya about school, the Disney Princesses etc and really put them at ease, chatting throughout the makeover

When we walked into the boutique there were two other girls finishing off their makeovers and then we had the whole room to ourselves for most of the time (on a Saturday afternoon.) I think they stagger it so it does feel more special, I know if I was paying £1000 I would not want to walk into the crazy, loud, squashed room that we found ourselves in at BBB in the castle (and that was first thing in the morning)

We had gone for the cheapest package (£100 each which gets you a pink Cinderella BBB tshirt with sparkles and a pink tutu.) There was no way I was going to pay £200 each for the package which includes a princess dress and not much else added in extra. The idea of traipsing around London and going on the Tube in an expensive Disney Store dress did not appeal. The FGITs had hung the outfits in a dressing room by the makeover stations and did a very sweet big surprise reveal of them. We were all happy with the outfits (and I had taken leggings for the girls to wear underneath when we left since it was February)

The girls got to select their hair styles and face paint. Seren was given a choice of three hairstyles and Freya two (they offer styles suited to the girl's hair length / type I think.) There was a bun option but I didn't see the pictures to see whether it is as slicked back as the Florida style. My daughters both chose to have the top two thirds of their hair to be put in a twisted bun and the bottom section curled and left loose. They got to choose flowers or sparkly clips. The FGITs pinned in their tiaras so they didn't come loose. In my opinion the hairstyles offered were much better than in Florida where they basically cover the hair with gel and then either stick it in a bun or add an extension. Seren and Freya had the extension hairpieces in Florida and they were happy with them at the time but much preferred the Harrods hairstyle. The finished result was very impressive

They were able to choose pink or purple nail varnish but were not given the rest of the bottle to take home as they had been in Florida. They were asked to choose from four (I think) face paint styles rather than the eyeshadow / lip colour / stick on jewels they were given in Florida. Again I think the face paint looked much better than the make up they had in Florida. I thought they looked too pageanty and grown up in Florida whereas this was more of a costume-y face paint that looked like it was done for a special occasion. Seren went for a pink, blue and white mermaid style and Freya had white flowers on blue face paint. They could have also chosen a red rose which I think is what is shown in the TV ad and I'm not sure what the other choice was as it was all done directly with the girls without our involvement which was nice

There were a couple of girls photographing throughout and then once they were all ready they had a couple of shots taken with a castle backdrop and then one sat on a throne. The throne one is included (but it wasn't the best shot, the area was a little dark.) Then they show you all of the photos on a screen including a 'before' shot and ask you if you want to buy any more. They're £13.50 with a pink card frame, or £16.00 for four mini ones of the same print. There were some lovely pictures and we did buy a few more but it's a shame they weren't all included. They do offer a photobook with all the shots but that was £120 or £125 I think that's included in one of the more expensive packages. The FGiTs actually seemed quite uncomfortable trying to upsell the photos, bless them

So for £100 each, in addition to the hairstyle, nails and facepaint, the girls got:

BBB t-shirt
Tutu
Tiara
BBB lanyard
Certificate
BBB sash
Flower hair clips and flower hair decorations (but no take away nail polish or make-up)
1 x photo (I'd say it's about 10 x 8 or 9 x 7)

The whole thing took just under an hour whereas in Florida we were out in just over 30 minutes

I would say the Harrods BBB is a very special experience and is just about worth £100. We did it as a very special birthday treat for the girls. If it was £50 (as the boy's package is) or £75 (or if all the photos were included for £100), it would feel like a very good deal. Because of how much time it takes and how 'personal' it all feels, I do think the £100 is justified and I would recommend the experience as a special treat. Seren and Freya have already said they want to go back next year

The other four girls we encountered that day who were having makeovers had all bought packages with dresses included (so £200, £500 or £1000 ) so it certainly doesn't appear that everyone is going for the cheapest option. I guess it is Harrods after all

Here are the photos:

moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Some close-ups:

moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
The hair styles are much prettier.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Your girls look gorgeous...before and after their makeover
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
The hair styles are much prettier.
I agree. Much nicer. Great report. Sure it will help a lot of Dibbers. Your girls look lovely. X
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Fieryannie
Imagineer

They look fab, hair is amazing... What a lovely experience

xxx
Animal Kingdom Lodge - HRH - Aug/Sept 2012
All Star Music Resort - June/July 2009
Fieryannie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow, love the hairstyles! Looks like your girls had a great time. Can't believe some packages are £1000!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. I definitely think the hair and make up is nicer and your girls look fabulous x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

I do love the hair , think it looks more like the princesses Hair , beautiful thanks for sharing x

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 14, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Awww beautiful! Love the face paint and hair styles xxx

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List