Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jul 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Seriously... snow 😱 As Australian living in the UK, I totally misjudge the weather... all the time! I really feel for you 😬 I now keep a spare winter coat/gloves/beanie in the boot of my car, even in summer! You just never know!

I'm pleased that Poot was a brilliant guide and that you persevered despite the weather. Family time is just the best.

I have popped Pizza Regina on the restaurant 'list' I love a white pizza! There can never be too much cheese 😋 That is so sweet that Poot got extra anchovies too!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Seriously... snow 😱 As Australian living in the UK, I totally misjudge the weather... all the time! I really feel for you 😬 I now keep a spare winter coat/gloves/beanie in the boot of my car, even in summer! You just never know!

I'm pleased that Poot was a brilliant guide and that you persevered despite the weather. Family time is just the best.

I have popped Pizza Regina on the restaurant 'list' I love a white pizza! There can never be too much cheese 😋 That is so sweet that Poot got extra anchovies too!

R.C. was SERIOUSLY vexed with me. He keeps several pairs of gloves, a neck-warmer, scarves, etc...in the capacious pockets of his ski parka - but I took them out (I also took out the parka lining ) - because all the bulging lumps make him look like a bag lady with elephantiasis.

Had I left his clothing alone...we all could have stayed toasty-warm. Oops.

You (on the other hand) are smart to always be prepared - especially up in Yorkshire.

AND...

Both those pizzas were gorgeous - they really hit the spot on such a cold day. Because I am cheap, places like PR are my favourite. Delicious food - at reasonable prices. R.C. likes a posh restaurant - but it's really rare that I find them "worth it".

We have an overnight layover in Boston later this year - and Poot and I are going to back to finish the Freedom Trail. He is VERY excited to get his ranger badge.

Thanks for walking with us!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Finally, sleep!

And snow!

The cathedral's beautiful.

...How much you must be enjoying my comments today.

I've spent time on and off over in N. America. I remember once (on the East Coast, unsurprisingly) it being very snowy at the beginning of April and it reaching about 90F by the end of the month! Spring anyone?

Shame about RC's absent gloves, but it sounds like he did have several pockets from which to choose!

I think children make excellent tour guides; they can point out so many things that most adults have stopped seeing. And how fantastic that he loves grandmother so much. (That pic of the two of them says it all.) ...Boston Common looks lovely with a scattering of snow.

It had been well worth the effort to have Poot read a couple of books about Colonial/Revolution-era Boston - he got SO MUCH MORE out of our visit than he would have otherwise. ...Isn't this yet another selling point for homeschooling?

It was interesting to see Poot's close-up photo of Paul Revere's house before and then this one of it in its 2016 surroundings.

I don't drink beer, but it seems to be required that most Americans don't like British beer and Brits don't like American beer. It's obviously a serious matter. Pizza looks very good; that's far more vital, IMHO. Cookie dough cheesecake sounds verry good, too.

And all is well.

Until you pull the rug out from under.

NUTS!

Adding nuts to brownies is a sign of insanity!

Also, to chocolate chip cookies.

What is the world coming to?

Moving on...

Don't tell him (don't want to make him self-conscious), but Poot is fabulously photogenic. And I enjoyed his report for the day, too.
Ice down the back of your coat is not fun, especially when you're already shiverrrring.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 07:43 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Finally, sleep!

And snow!

The cathedral's beautiful.

...How much you must be enjoying my comments today.

I've spent time on and off over in N. America. I remember once (on the East Coast, unsurprisingly) it being very snowy at the beginning of April and it reaching about 90F by the end of the month! Spring anyone?

Shame about RC's absent gloves, but it sounds like he did have several pockets from which to choose!

I think children make excellent tour guides; they can point out so many things that most adults have stopped seeing. And how fantastic that he loves grandmother so much. (That pic of the two of them says it all.) ...Boston Common looks lovely with a scattering of snow.

It had been well worth the effort to have Poot read a couple of books about Colonial/Revolution-era Boston - he got SO MUCH MORE out of our visit than he would have otherwise. ...Isn't this yet another selling point for homeschooling?

It was interesting to see Poot's close-up photo of Paul Revere's house before and then this one of it in its 2016 surroundings.

I don't drink beer, but it seems to be required that most Americans don't like British beer and Brits don't like American beer. It's obviously a serious matter. Pizza looks very good; that's far more vital, IMHO. Cookie dough cheesecake sounds verry good, too.

And all is well.

Until you pull the rug out from under.

NUTS!

Adding nuts to brownies is a sign of insanity!

Also, to chocolate chip cookies.

What is the world coming to?

Moving on...

Don't tell him (don't want to make him self-conscious), but Poot is fabulously photogenic. And I enjoyed his report for the day, too.
Ice down the back of your coat is not fun, especially when you're already shiverrrring.
It was a good day despite the weather - the frigid temperatures helped to keep the crowds away, at least.

When we got down to D.C., though (SPOILER ALERT) - we had a day and a half that were just straight-up wasted because of the cold. The weather forecast before we left predicted 80 degrees - but it snowed! Where's The Weather Channel when you need it?

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard DH say, "But that's not beer - that's LAH-GER" to American waitresses - I'd have a lot of dollars. I don't really care for beer either, so clearly I underestimate its importance in the lives of many (including my own husband). I get the tea thing, though. Totally.

What types of tea do you have?

I'll go and check for you, Sir.

I've checked, Sir. It's Lipton.

My mother is Poot's only grandparent. He ADORES her. Even now (at age 10) whenever the phone rings he says, "Is it Grandma?"

Yet ANOTHER benefit of homeschooling - adults aren't chopped liver (as soon). He'll be a teenager one day, though.

And THANK YOU. He's a pretty cute chap - though over the last year he has begun to start to lose that "little boy look". It's strange to look at him and see the future as well as the past.

PS: Yes, NUTS. I was - as I was really looking forward to that cheesecake. It's the change in texture I can't abide. Lovely creamy, smooth and then...what? Did I just lose a filling? Oh, no - it's a NUT.
Old 7 Aug 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
PS: Yes, NUTS. I was - as I was really looking forward to that cheesecake. It's the change in texture I can't abide. Lovely creamy, smooth and then...what? Did I just lose a filling? Oh, no - it's a NUT.
That's exactly it for me, too. I'll happily eat nuts on their own - had a handful of cashews earlier - but they spoil a mouthful of brownie. Or cheesecake. Or mousse.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

That's exactly it for me, too. I'll happily eat nuts on their own - had a handful of cashews earlier - but they spoil a mouthful of brownie. Or cheesecake. Or mousse.
Nuts in a mousse! GAG!
Old 8 Aug 17, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Nuts in a mousse! GAG!
Precisely!

Also, whipped cream (or squirty cream) on ice cream With nuts.

Old 8 Aug 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Precisely!

Also, whipped cream (or squirty cream) on ice cream With nuts.

Well, now...let's not be hasty. I do like a dollop now and then.
Old 8 Aug 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Don't ya just love a bit of unexpected snow on your holidays? Even more fun when you haven't packed for it and have a day of sightseeing ahead. Still seems like you all had a great day.

I've jotted down some ideas for when I do get to visit Boston and am excited to move onto Washington with you. However, that's for tomorrow.
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Don't ya just love a bit of unexpected snow on your holidays? Even more fun when you haven't packed for it and have a day of sightseeing ahead. Still seems like you all had a great day.

I've jotted down some ideas for when I do get to visit Boston and am excited to move onto Washington with you. However, that's for tomorrow.

Yes - Ray Charles works evenings, and I have to go and make him some dinner!

It was a fun day despite the weather - much as I enjoyed the skating it was a bit full on...nice to see some of the city at last.

See you in D.C.