General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Jul 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
My best girlfriend and I used to come to London every January (because that's when the tickets were the cheapest) - and we absolutely DID get excited about Boots.

Back then there was way less crossover of health and beauty products - and we used to buy (a line of) smellies at Boots that were themed to English expressions. My favourite was a bath gel called "More Tea, Vicar?".

We would go to Boots and Woolworths (for all the different chocolate bars/sweets we couldn't get in America) - and then duck into M&S for coronation chicken sandwiches (which we couldn't get either).

I'm a little sad that most things are the same, now. Though you still can't get a coronation chicken sandwich in America.
Wow! You have totally cleared that up for me, I love all the quirky names of the bath products too.

Seriously Coronation Chicken is amazing. We recently had my best friend and her girlfriend visit from Australia. They Instagrammed me from London, it was a pic of an M&S Coronation Chicken sandwich We don't have it where we live in Australia either, it is such a novelty. Oh and walnut whips and Percy pigs from M&S. This is why I am not a size 6
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Wow! You have totally cleared that up for me, I love all the quirky names of the bath products too.

Seriously Coronation Chicken is amazing. We recently had my best friend and her girlfriend visit from Australia. They Instagrammed me from London, it was a pic of an M&S Coronation Chicken sandwich We don't have it where we live in Australia either, it is such a novelty. Oh and walnut whips and Percy pigs from M&S. This is why I am not a size 6
They smelled so good, too! Now everything seems to be the same - what we can get on the continent, what we get here - what we can get in America. So boring.

I have a problem with coronation chicken; I can't keep it in the house - or I will literally eat it until I am sick. But I always choose it as my "day out sandwich" - and in fact R.C. and I shared one on our way back from Dorset.

Instagram confuses me - I'm still not really sure what it is. I have it in my mind that it's like Twitter - but for photos...must look into that soon.

England gets such a bad rap when it comes to food - but there are a few things here that I would put up against any other foods on earth...

1. Coronation Chicken
2. (English) Strawberries ()
3. Sticky Toffee Pudding

And wait - what?...clothes come in SIZE SIX?! You mean children's clothes, right?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
They smelled so good, too! Now everything seems to be the same - what we can get on the continent, what we get here - what we can get in America. So boring.

I have a problem with coronation chicken; I can't keep it in the house - or I will literally eat it until I am sick. But I always choose it as my "day out sandwich" - and in fact R.C. and I shared one on our way back from Dorset.

Instagram confuses me - I'm still not really sure what it is. I have it in my mind that it's like Twitter - but for photos...must look into that soon.

England gets such a bad rap when it comes to food - but there are a few things here that I would put up against any other foods on earth...

1. Coronation Chicken
2. (English) Strawberries ()
3. Sticky Toffee Pudding

And wait - what?...clothes come in SIZE SIX?! You mean children's clothes, right?
Yes, this is me, I made Coronation Chicken to take for a picnic and ate it all before I could take it we ended up with vegemite sandwiches instead Now I just buy it when we have a day out!

English strawberries are delicious- the smaller ones taste the best. DH LOVES sticky toffee pudding, I don't like desserts so I will just have to trust you both

Instagram is basically photos. You take a picture and then upload it to your account. You can have a public or private profile. We use ours to update our family in Australia, so have a private account but lots of people post amazing pics - even Disney ones! I only know the basics, Cooper could probably make you a tutorial
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes, this is me, I made Coronation Chicken to take for a picnic and ate it all before I could take it we ended up with vegemite sandwiches instead Now I just buy it when we have a day out!

English strawberries are delicious- the smaller ones taste the best. DH LOVES sticky toffee pudding, I don't like desserts so I will just have to trust you both

Instagram is basically photos. You take a picture and then upload it to your account. You can have a public or private profile. We use ours to update our family in Australia, so have a private account but lots of people post amazing pics - even Disney ones! I only know the basics, Cooper could probably make you a tutorial

My sister from another mister!

That's also why I can't keep crumpets in the house.

Speaking of "mites" - we tried TF with some Marmite the other day - he was not impressed. I think that one - like Vegemite (and root beer, which I ADORE - and which R.C. says tastes like hair tonic) - is perhaps something you have to grow up with.

And thanks - that's helpful. I was watching a YouTube (Disney) video - and the hostess (?) was talking about all the "Instagram walls" at WDW. I'm getting old, I fear. Though I feel quite proud that I can now upload photos to the DIBB - it only took me two years to learn how...Cooper's tutorial would need to be of the "for dummies" variety!
Old 30 Jul 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
My sister from another mister!

That's also why I can't keep crumpets in the house.

Speaking of "mites" - we tried TF with some Marmite the other day - he was not impressed. I think that one - like Vegemite (and root beer, which I ADORE - and which R.C. says tastes like hair tonic) - is perhaps something you have to grow up with.

And thanks - that's helpful. I was watching a YouTube (Disney) video - and the hostess (?) was talking about all the "Instagram walls" at WDW. I'm getting old, I fear. Though I feel quite proud that I can now upload photos to the DIBB - it only took me two years to learn how...Cooper's tutorial would need to be of the "for dummies" variety!
Mmmm crumpets did you know they make double sized ones! As for the 'mites' I find people tend to prefer the ones they were raised on. Ooh root beer is not my favourite however DH loves it. Hair Tonic

You should be proud of your uploading capabilities- This is why I have never even attempted a trip report I am totally out of my depth
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mmmm crumpets did you know they make double sized ones! As for the 'mites' I find people tend to prefer the ones they were raised on. Ooh root beer is not my favourite however DH loves it. Hair Tonic

You should be proud of your uploading capabilities- This is why I have never even attempted a trip report I am totally out of my depth
We bought the massive crumpets - but R.C. did not approve - as they were too big for the toasting fork (That's right, we're old-school with the crumpets at our house. Crumpets in the toaster just don't taste as good!).

Lol...I was so excited to take R.C. to a proper root beer stand in America - and we got two BIG frosty mugs of it...and I watched expectantly as he took his first taste...

"That is UTTERLY VILE."

To be fair, though - I was probably no more gracious about Marmite. And Vegemite doesn't appear on my shopping list either.
Old 4 Aug 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

This has been the fastest week ever! If all the weeks leading up to our trips pass so quickly I'll be a happy bunny.

The stuffed animal halls are my favourite part of Natural History museums. We have never been in London! We'll have to put it on our to-do list when we're there for longer than just a few nights. You obviously didn't feign enough interest in the meteorites, if Poot is reduced to declaring 'even dad was interested'.

I was so excited the first time we ate Chick-Fil-A, then so disappointed because it was so bland! We did like all the dipping sauces though.

Eek Target! We always marvel over the Oreos and Pop Tarts too. Mint Thin Oreos are my favourites. Pop Tarts, I don't actually like any of them.

How amazing that the kids' books were free at the library! I love ex-library books and all their history.

So much foreshadowing for 'tomorrow'!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
This has been the fastest week ever! If all the weeks leading up to our trips pass so quickly I'll be a happy bunny.

The stuffed animal halls are my favourite part of Natural History museums. We have never been in London! We'll have to put it on our to-do list when we're there for longer than just a few nights. You obviously didn't feign enough interest in the meteorites, if Poot is reduced to declaring 'even dad was interested'.

I was so excited the first time we ate Chick-Fil-A, then so disappointed because it was so bland! We did like all the dipping sauces though.

Eek Target! We always marvel over the Oreos and Pop Tarts too. Mint Thin Oreos are my favourites. Pop Tarts, I don't actually like any of them.

How amazing that the kids' books were free at the library! I love ex-library books and all their history.

So much foreshadowing for 'tomorrow'!

Hopefully the speedy passing of the week has (partly) made up for the rather boring contents of this post!

We used to spend a lot of time in the stuffed animal halls - Poot loved to look at all the birds. Interactive this and that is all well and good - but when kids are small they like to really SEE the animals. The NHM is London is well worth a visit. I like to go in the side entrance rather than the main one - you go up an escalator into a fiery Earth...

...and it puts you near Poot's favourite thing - the earthquake room. Very tame I'm sure to anyone who's actually lived through an earthquake - but still lots of fun.

And yes - I fear Poot has become harder to fool when it comes to faking an interest. I've decided to start saying things like, "I love you - but I DO NOT love hearing about plane crashes. And it's important to remember that not everyone you meet will share your interests. So try and tread lightly at first."

He's definitely gotten to the age where people expect him to be able to make small talk (which he finds utterly pointless). But I perhaps set a bad example...I remember taking DM around the British Museum - and I was animatedly telling her about some historical artefact - at which point she stopped me and said, "April! - I. DON'T. CARE."

Bu what? You didn't like Chick-Fil-A? Them's fightin' words! I suppose it depends on what you have, though. And truthfully, my favourite is Popeye's (it's the biscuits ).
Old 11 Aug 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Eek hissing cockroaches you did well to last a few minutes, I would have thought a few seconds is enough.

Very odd warning from the concierge, perhaps she was worried you would blame her for sending you off piste.

Cookie dough...bad mother alert ... my kids thought I was being incredibly un-mumish when I allowed them ice cream from Florean Fortescues for lunch! But when you're on holiday normal rules are suspended aren't they?

Score on the kids books from the end branch library.

It sounds like you had a nice picnic in your hotel room. And great entertainment too.

Now onto Poots recollection of the day.

It seems you were not as cool as you thought with the Roach! The meteorite with the paperclips looked awesome. But the best bit of the day, and clearly I am not alone in thinking this as everyone has commented about it, The Escalator. This is a revelation I've never seen one like it, I'm glad you put in a picture. I didn't even know such a thing existed. There is a massive tesco about 20 miles from us that has 2 storeys and the trolley just goes up in front of you on the moving ramp escalator.

Oh and Sparksy if you're still here? While we were waiting at LHR there was an American family and the 2 girls spotted a Boots. They were talking about going and getting a meal deal for the plane and then shared a joke about how it sells everything you could want apart from...wait for it...boots! I was pretending to read while eavesdropping, I had to pretend to be reading a really cute and funny part as I couldn't help but chortle.

Somehow you're talking about coronation chicken again! I get it you like it! How many threads will this appear on? I guess you're allowed as it's your Trippie! Plus coronation chicken is rather tasty. It is my DD favourite filling for a sarnie, or for jacket potatoes.

If I read on will you start moaning about carrot cake?

Ah Collette here you are! I thought that about the 'even dad' comment. It's not long now for either of your hols. And now you can say it's next month.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Abby you're home! How was your trip? I have been looking forward to hearing all about it!

I loved the store about no boots at Boots, that had never occurred to me before. I might look up where the name came from.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List