Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Sep 16, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

American History Road Trip 2016 - Day 2 - 9/11 Memorial/Statue of Liberty/Central Park/TOTR

Apologies for the huge delay in having this next day up.
Life just sometimes gets in the way.
I do plan to finish this trippie before our next trip.
Oh and by the way...grab yourself a cuppa...it's a long one.
Thanks

Trip Report Index

NYC - DC- Virginia - Tennessee - Kentucky - Indiana - Illinois

Day 2 – Thursday 24th March 2016 - ''Oh the Sights & Sounds of New York''

Just to start, I'm Lisa - the planner and reporter. Ade is my hubby and he's our driver and there's Hollie who is 16 and Louis is 14.

So, my trippie notes start….

Ade loo 1.30am
Lisa loo 2.30am.
Both wide awake!

It must have been one of those nights.
You know you have to sleep as you know you will feel so tired later in the day, but the more you try the harder it is to sleep.

We were awake again at 5am and we’d both had odd dreams.
We could hear someone blowing their nose in the bathroom. Louis. I waited for him to come out of the bathroom and walked in to his room. It was dark and it made him jump and he screamed out loud.
Such a girl!

We were all up now.
I caught up with work emails.
We all caught up on social media, had showers and were ready to leave before 7am.

A few photos of inside the hotel.
It may be dated but it was spotless and smelt so fresh and clean.

It was our first time hailing a cab.
We were excited about doing this.

The cab was spotless. You can pay by card too if you wish.

Louis is a Chelsea supporter, so I had to snap this.

We drove down to the financial district.

It took about 20mins and cost $18. We gave him $25. He was very happy.
He was a really nice driver, very chatty. We asked to be dropped off near the 9/11 memorial.

We crossed the road over to the new One World Trade Center.

Seeing this was a highlight for Louis. He was in total awe with this building. It really was huge. He still talks about it now.

We walked past and thought we were going in the wrong direction. We were looking for the 9/11 memorial.
We stopped to take a look at the map.
It was about 7.30am by now. I was very quiet, just a few office walkers rushing to work.

One guy in a suit with ear phones stopped. Took his earphones out and asked if we needed help.
He pointed us in the right direction and rushed off.
He was so nice. We were so taken back by how kind that was.

We walked back in the direction that we had just come.

And we were soon at the memorial. It was literally just around the corner.

The last time I was in New York, I’d gone up one of the Twin Towers. So it was a really strange feeling being here.
I’m glad that we got here so early. It was nice it just being us here. Being able to wander and just take it all in. As we walked past and the wind blew, we got sprayed with the water from the fountain.

We thought it was so beautiful and tastefully done.

We walked across to Broadway which took just 2 mins. We’d already planned to go to McDonalds for breakie. It’s somewhere we don't go very often, so we knew it would be a treat for the kids.

It was quite busy in here and yet despite waiting in the queue we still hadn’t decided what we wanted to order when we got to the front of the queue. We didn’t want to delay other people so we panic ordered, not wanting to delay anyone and ordered way too much food.
$33 later….

We went upstairs and it was nice and quiet.

It was really clean in here.
The homeless seemed to only eat downstairs.

We had had a combo of breakfast muffins and hashbrowns, teas, juices….

We were all full and couldn’t eat everything.

Toilet breaks and back on to Broadway by 8.15am…

We headed in the direction of Battery Park stopping off at the Charging Bull on the way.
We’d figured it was better to get all this done before the Statue of Liberty knowing it was going to be so much quieter now.
We were right!

It’s supposed to be lucky to stroke the bull’s ‘balls’…..we never found out if it’s true….the kids would have disowned us!

We carried on walking to Battery Park just a couple of minutes walk.

Cool bin truck!

Food truck with a view!

Cool view!

We were now in Battery Park.

And this is where you go to collect your Liberty Ferry tickets.

I’d purposely booked the first ferry out. The crown access tickets sell out fast and go on sale 6 months before.

The last time I came I remember lots of people saying about the queues going up the Statue of Liberty, so we were on the first ferry out and there were no queues at all. That was my intention this time.

We had paid for the tickets online. You have to show ID if you want to go up to the crown, so the only option is to collect your tickets on arrival. This was another reason to get here nice and early in case of queues.
So if you see the previous 2 photos and this next one, you will see no queue.
Remember that later on in the day…….

The guy in the hat was working over on the island. Getting his boat to work.

It was really quick collecting our tickets.

We asked for some change for the lockers on the island. We had to go to the next counter for that, but no one else was there so it wasn’t an issue.

And when people laugh at you for all your planning……

HA! It’s well worth it!

This guy was wishing that he was as organized as us.
Doh!

The ferry was due to leave at 9am.
We had to go through airport type security, removing belts etc, going through scanners. But it was very empty and we were straight through.
The security staff were asking us about Brussels as that had happened just a few days before.
It was really big news there and we were asked about it a lot, which surprised us. I think they think of Europe as being so small.

Our first sighting of Lady Liberty herself.

And on to the ferry.

Cont…….

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!

Edited at 09:45 AM.
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont…..

We were on the ferry at 8.50am
Our view of Battery Park from the ferry.
So peaceful.

It was the perfect Spring morning. We were so lucky.
The sky was so blue.

Ellis Island. We were stopping off there later.

A lot of people stood on the left side of the ferry facing the statue as we left, but I knew the ferry would turn, so it was better to stand on the right side. So we got the great view.

Always makes me think of Titanic.

Now there were a few big groups.
You know the sort….leader walks upfront holding the flag.
I knew we had to be off that ferry and ahead of the groups.
All was going well until Ade needed the loo.
It’s always him!

We got off the ferry and he popped in to a building where the loos were whilst we waited anxiously watching the groups form around their leaders.
Thankfully he was out before the groups were on their way. They we still waiting around their person with the flag.
Last thing I wanted was to get stuck behind that lot on those teeny steps climbing up to the crown.
Now a quick march…

We walked through the Liberty Island store and showed our tickets again and were given wrist bands for crown access. We went through more security.
The staff were all so chatty and so friendly everywhere we went.

We had to put everything in to lockers.
You could keep your phones and cameras though.

Universal Studios flash backs!

We made our way up.

This was the original torch.
To think that years ago, people used to be able to climb up to the open aired torch and walk around!

Our warning….

The first lot of stairs were easy peasy. 176 to the pedalstool.

There is also the option of a lift to this point... but we were hard core!

Almost there...

Then it got to this bit... clearly no lift!

I’d done this last time in my early 20’s. It wasn’t a problem.
I was worried about the kids. More so Louis as he hates heights.
As it was I was the one with the problem, not them.

This photo sums up my feelings/head rather well.

Ok, going up wasn’t too bad. But it’s incredibly narrow. Ade is only 5ft9 and had to lean back slightly the whole time.

Cont…..

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 09:48 AM.
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont…

Then we were at the top.

This was the view from the crown.

The lady working up there was lovely. We were the only ones.
Last time I got up there, looked, took a photo and came back down as there was a constant flow of people, like a conveyor belt. But as we were the only ones we chatted with her for a while. Another perk of getting up here early. She was telling us about how hot it gets up here, how it sways, what to look out for. She offered to take photos of us. She was also the one that told us about people being able to walk around the torch years ago.

She told us to look down on the tablet. (Lady Liberty’s book, not her ipad!)

Ade asked if he could take a photo of her.

We named her American Nana, as she was an American version of my Mum. Little with black curly hair!

As we left and said goodbye, the next people came up. She told them to say goodbye to England. They were French and didn't sound very enthusiastic saying good bye to us
She was so sweet.

She’d also told us to look out for things on the way down.
Here you can see the inside of Liberty’s gown.

I really struggled on the way down. It was so hot. Ade took my poncho for me. My legs were so wobbly. The kids who I’d worried about had ran ahead and we could hear them giggling and chatting. They’d even stopped for selfies.

There are a few ledges that you can step on to, to get a rest, so we did do that a couple of times.

We met the kids down at the pedalstool.
They were busy taking silly selfies.

We wandered outside taking in the views. I felt so happy being here with my family.

You can see a teeny video that Ade took of the views here.
And also appreciate how nice and quiet it was at this time.

Cont…

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 09:52 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont….

The flag was at half mast for Belgium.

We then walked down the last steps. Thankfully these were much easier.

The boys were complaining of sore knees.

Hollie did a Phoebe (Friends) run down the stairs. She said it was the easiest and best way.

She has a point. It was so much easier.
We then walked around the base of the statue.

This was so sad to see.

Then we enjoyed the tacky gift shop.

Hollie’s biggest regret….she so wishes she’d bought that cap.

Louis spent his first dollars on this coke.
He was very excited about this tin bottle and it ended up coming home with us and lives on his memory shelf now. (he's a sentimental soul)

Ade treated himself to a key ring.
I’d hoped to buy a tacky statue tree deccie, but oddly enough they don’t sell them in March.

We left the gift shop and wandered around to the café.

There was quite a bit on offer here and the prices weren’t too bad.

But it seemed very disorganised.

All we wanted from the counter was a tea for Hollie. We waited and couldn’t be served where they serve the coffee and hot chocolate. We had to go to another counter. There wasn’t anyone there so we kind of just waited where we were told to wait, not knowing if this was correct or not until eventually we got our tea.

We bought 1 tea and 4 soft drinks for $13.

We sat outside and relaxed just taking in where we were.

We were very close to where we needed to get back to catch the ferry.

We took it over to Ellis Island.

I hadn’t visited this place on my previous visit so was looking forward to this.

It was a really pretty building.

Louis was complaining that his knees were hurting from the steps, so Ade and I left them sat down and had a walk around on our own for a bit.

Cont….

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 09:55 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont…
[/url]

I loved this story!

Resting!

We really enjoyed it and had the kids not have been with us could have spent much longer here.
The kids did join us for some of the little rooms where there’s lots of various information and examples of things that have been kept from the times when it was open.

Hollie is such a great student and gets great grades, but sometimes she is so funny.
She genuinely thought we couldn’t go through as the door as it had to be kept closed at all times.

It was 12.10 and we decided to head back to Manhattan. The ferry was already there.

We got straight on and at the right time looking at the queue once we had boarded.

Battery Park was a different park on our return. It was full but had a great atmosphere.
Lots of street performers.
These guys were great.
We stopped for a couple of minutes, clapped along and then left when they started coming around for tips.

Whoopsie ! The Statue of Liberty escaped!

We were so confused as to where this ginormous queue was heading. It went through the whole park and was very very slow moving.

It went on and on

And on and on

And on and on…..

We then realized it was the queue to go through security before getting the ferry over to Liberty Island!
How smug was I feeling?!
It was always my plan to get the first ferry out before the queues built up, but I never had expected this.
Crazy!
Go Me!
I still like to remind the kids that my forward planning really does pay off.

We walked the couple of minutes to Wall Street.

The buildings are beautiful.
Hollie had always planned to wear a wolf mask here so she could be the ‘wolf on wall street’. But she had changed her mind before the trip.

On our trip bucket list was to have street meat. This was as close as we got.

Louis having a pretzel.

We left Wall Street.

And walked towards our next adventure…..the subway.

We figured out how to buy tickets from the machine, which Ade found easy. $2.75 each up to 49th Street which was the street our hotel was on. Nice and easy.

It soon came and we got on. It was quite busy but the kids were able to sit down.

There was all different kinds of people on there. Tourists, locals, teens, older people.
No one made eye contact.
Then we heard singing, really good signing from the back of the carriage and turned to see this.

Click the link for the video.

These guys really were a highlight if the trip.

The atmosphere lifted on the subway, people were smiling and making eye contact.
I love this little video, seeing Hollie and Louis watching from their seats. At the end you can see one of the guys giving a lady change.
It was really cool. So glad we got to witness that. And yes… we tipped : ) They were very worthy.

We got off the subway at the end of our street and just had a couple of minutes walk to our hotel.
We’d already planned to stop and grab lunch at Toasties next door and take up to our apartment.
I fancied New York Pizza though.
We also had this place next door.

I ordered 1 cheese slice. $2.72 and it was huge.

This place played 50’s music outside all the time which I loved as it’s what we heard every time we left or arrived at our hotel.

Next door they were choosing their freshly made sarnies.
We also bought 2 waters and 2 lays too. $31
A handy place to have next door.

It was good to sit down in the apartment and rest our feet and chill.

The pizza was amazing.

Cont….

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 09:58 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont….

Hollie had tuna salad white sandwich.

Louis a bbq chicken wrap.

And Ade ham, cheese & pickles in a white roll.

They were expensive, but huge and very tasty and fresh they said.
They kids only managed half of their’s. They got wrapped and popped in the fridge and ended up being thrown away on our last day... as you do!

Whilst relaxing we decided to change the itinary.
We had planned to stay around Times Square and wander down to the Empire State Building and do Central Park tomorrow but the weather was good and was forecast to rain all morning tomorrow, so we switched plans.

After we’d rested for a bit we walked via Broadway which was at the top of 49th Street where we were.

We’ve saved Ellen’s for next time.

It just took a few minutes before we were at Columbus Circle.

It always makes us think of the Impractical Jokers around here.
We did look out for them!

There was a guy stood on the corner here. He did look rather ‘rough’. But he was stood there with 5 brightly coloured rats on him. 1 on his head and 2 per shoulder. All were died bright neon colours and were all real.
I wish I’d had the courage to photograph him.

The entrance to Central Park was completely full of bikes.

There was constant pestering to be driven.
Why do they see you being asked by one person and you say no, to be asked again less them 1 minute later and you say no, to then be asked again….why do they think on the 3rd, 4th or 5th time that you will say yes?

We managed to escape bike/lift free.

(I was so cozy at the time in my lovely black poncho and now looking back all I see is a phantom flan flinger. Look it up….was what my childhood nightmares were made of …no joke! )

I was so looking forward to this stroll and seeing all the beautiful bridges.
I’d found a site that told you which ones were used in which movies.

I think this one was Cloverfield (love that movie)

I think this was the Ghostbusters building.

We’d gone through everything that we wanted to see when we were at home and added a gold star on google maps, so we could wander with the phone and easily find everything. It made it very easy.

I think this was from Enchanted. My fave Disney movie.

And then we stopped at Strawberry Fields.

This place was packed. People everywhere, playing music, singing.

We carried on our walks.
The kids were lagging behind and looked like it was ‘effort’.
Not moaning but not running along gleefully sharing my same enthusiasm for the beautiful bridges.
They also kept moaning about the smell. There was a lot of fresh woodchip down. It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t the nicest smell. I’m guessing that’s what it was.

Cont….

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont….

Another great movie spot and Impractical Jokers place.

We saw 2 weddings here.

We also saw a grown woman dressed as a ballerina who was taking money from people to have their photo taken with her and she did them a little dance.
I watched a sweet little girl do it….and also a grown man!

Another bridge!

The kids were showing less and less enthusiasm.

Hollie told me here that the Alice in Wonderland statue was actually put here as a play area for kids to climb on. Glad she had said that otherwise I would have moaned about disrespectful kids/parents.

We ended up leaving the kids sat on a park bench, whilst we went off to see if we could see Belvedere Castle from a distance.
This was somewhere I’d really really wanted to visit.
But the kids were fed up and time was also ticking as it was late afternoon now and we had tickets booked for TOTR at 5pm.

We carried on wandering but we were nowhere near and we couldn’t see it, so we came back to the kids. Saving Belvedere for next time.

We walked back in the direction of the stores (south), but we were on the other side of the park from where we had started.

Louis spotted Hans Christian Anderson. I was impressed that he instantly knew him before reading the sign.

We saw the signs for the Central Park Zoo

It looked a really nice area.

And then we spotted this little fella.
A little black squirrel.

We now hot footed it a little to the Rockefellers Center.

It was really busy everywhere.

Ade loved the look of this Apple Store (but he does of every Apple store) but the fact that you had to get an elevator down to go in to an underground store.
There was also some filming going on out here.

We got to TOTR AT 4.50PM, just 10 mins to spare. We did good.

As we had tickets already, we were able to go straight up once we’d cleared security.

Louis was anxious about the lift, but it was up there so quick and it was so smooth.

The views were amazing.

Cont…

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 10:05 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Cont…..

Central Park one side.

And the Empire State and down to the Financial District on the other side.

There were 3 levels all in all.
There was so much room on each level.

Smiley Face!
There was also an area on the middle with glass walls that you could sit inside with seats. It was nice for those if it was cold.

We’d decided not to go up the Empire State.
As I’d been up years ago I thought this would be so much better and I would definitely recommend this now I’ve done both.
It was such a nice relaxed feel.

There was a little store up here that we had a nose in.

Cute! For little doggies!

Louis bought himself an NYPD T Shirt for $27

We were all shattered by now and had sore feet. We’d done so much walking today.
None of us felt hungry, but decided to stop at the Magnolia Bakery on the corner on the way back.
Tea and cakes for tea!

This place looked amazing and was also on my trip bucket list.
But boy they needed some tips in organization.
This was crazy.

There were people everywhere.
A kind of free for all around the counters on the left where you can see the cakes and order. When you have finally managed to do this you were handed over your box for you to fight your way to the front and join another free for all area and try and pay. But it was so narrow.
This was basically the width of the place.

We finally managed to see the cakes and order.
We tried to order a hot tea for Hollie and I but the only hot tea they did was smelly Earl Grey.
All right for blokes like Ade but not for commoners like Hollie and I. Yuk!
Hollie ended up with an ice coffee anyway.

Finally, Finally, we left with our cake boxes in hand.
What a stress that was!

We literally had to cross the road and we were back to our hotel/ apartment.

We popped in to Toasties again next door.

We bought my tea and big bottles of water. $10.62

And headed up to our apartment.
It felt so good to get in to pjs and relax.
Our feet were so tired.

Louis had a Cookie Stack.

Hollie has a blueberry cheesecake

Ade and I both had apple crumble bars.
These were the best and so big and so yummy.

It was a really nice ending to the day.
Just what we needed and I think that could have been the best cup of tea ever.

We all relaxed for the rest of the evening.
We could hear the kids laughing together watching Impractical Jokers whilst laid on Louis’ bed together.
Showers and baths, tv and in bed for 10pm.

It had been a very long but really good day. We packed so much in.
It had started off chilly but had warmed up to 15c in the day and was sunny.
A great start to our roadtrip. And this was the start of our love of New York.

Thank you so so much for reading

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 10:08 AM.
Old 25 Sep 16, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
disneylover
Imagineer

Oh Lisa, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Your beautiful pictures of the skyline and the Statue of Liberty almost look like it's Autumn with all the pretty colours. You certainly covered some ground today, no wonder you were tired! If we ever make it to nyc I shall be seeking your help. Or just come with us and be our navigator and guide!
Old 25 Sep 16, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Hello lovely Cheryl

Please can I choose the second option and just come with you?

Glad you enjoyed it. Especially as it took me sooooooo long and especially after my major fail when I lost the lot yesterday and had to do it all over today...silly me

Thanks xxx

@adeandlisadodisney