Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Car Hire & Transportation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.
Florida Escapes
Unread 14 Aug 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
I have no idea why people don't pick Alamo purely for skip the counter, that literally trumps pretty much everything including price for me.

It just saves all of the hassles after a 9 hour flight feeling like absolute poop.
Because Alamo led us a fine dance when our car was totalled through no fault of our own. They were dire and if it hadn't been for the Chief of Police getting involved we would have been carless for our 6 week stay.
Unread 14 Aug 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
I have no idea why people don't pick Alamo purely for skip the counter, that literally trumps pretty much everything including price for me.

It just saves all of the hassles after a 9 hour flight feeling like absolute poop.
My worst car hire experience was with Alamo skip the counter. Took a long time to organise from here (computer 'glitch' that wasn't fixed or weeks) and then back and forth from kiosk to car and back to the airport desk. Poor service.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Earning More Ears

What other company can I trust to get a decent car at a reasonable price . I looked at Hertz ,but the toll payments are bad so unless the tourist toll pass continues over August next year I don't know who to trust.
Pagan8c is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our Big Birthday Holiday.
Unread 14 Aug 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Apprentice Imagineer

Alamo skip the counter has it's good & bad points, it's good if you're arriving into an empty garage..it's bad if you're arriving into a busy garage as the cars can't be replaced quickly enough and everyone is sitting waiting hoping something suitable may come round.

People taking cars from outside their class or greasing the palm of the staff in the garage also causes issues.
Unread 14 Aug 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Wise words, I agree with you. A lot of us are guilty of not praising enough I know and I include myself in this.

It is interesting to see the ebb and flow in operation regarding rental companies and how as renters we shift our business around. Not always based on price either.
You cannot predict queues , its the same with immigration its all part and parcel of travelling to America , you might hit lucky and sail through, on the other hand you might not ,we have encountered all sorts of situations . I dont think we have waited so long to pick up a car as we did in Miami with Budget but there was a line of people waiting to be seen and you just have to deal with it , seeing as we had come from a hotel stay and not off a flight I wasnt expecting a queue , I have no idea why I was thinking that way as flights are landing constantly 🙄 unless there is some sort of priority queue that you pay for you just have to suck it up . My worry about a car rental company would be how they deal with any problems once you have the car not the queue to get the car .
We were stuck a few times in long traffic queues during our stay , cannot remember it being as busy as that ten years ago , we waited nearly an hour for breakfast in IHOP one morning , we actually asked for the bill when the waitress brought our food so we could exit the establishment quicker 😂 queuing / waiting just seems part and parcel of holidaying in Florida , we dont do the parks now so I have no idea what queuing is like in the Disney stores but we did venture into Goofys Candy Store in DS and you guessed it ... it was a long wait to be served , I think people were in there using up all their dining credits 😊
Aug 2018...Westridge

Edited at 11:06 AM.
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family Time In Florida
Unread 14 Aug 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

JoJo88's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
You cannot predict queues , its the same with immigration its all part and parcel of travelling to America , you might hit lucky and sail through, on the other hand you might not ,we have encountered all sorts of situations . I dont think we have waited so long to pick up a car as we did in Miami with Budget but there was a line of people waiting to be seen and you just have to deal with it , seeing as we had come from a hotel stay and not off a flight I wasnt expecting a queue , I have no idea why I was thinking that way as flights are landing constantly 🙄 unless there is some sort of priority queue that you pay for you just have to suck it up . My worry about a car rental company would be how they deal with any problems once you have the car not the queue to get the car .
We were stuck a few times in long traffic queues during our stay , cannot remember it being as busy as that ten years ago , we waited nearly an hour for breakfast in IHOP one morning , we actually asked for the bill when the waitress brought our food so we could exit the establishment quicker 😂 queuing / waiting just seems part and parcel of holidaying in Florida , we dont do the parks now so I have no idea what queuing is like in the Disney stores but we did venture into Goofys Candy Store in DS and you guessed it ... it was a long wait to be served , I think people were in there using up all their dining credits 😊
Expectations have a lot to do with it too. If youre expecting a ride line to be 90 minutes and youre on after 60, youre happy. Expect your wait for a car to be 30 and it takes an hour, youre raging. Same wait! I used to stress about these sort of things, immigration, delays etc, but ultimately, we always get there and a bit of hassle along the way is to be expected. Keep your expectations low and itll keep your stress levels low too
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
All over for another year...
Unread 14 Aug 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Expectations have a lot to do with it too. If youre expecting a ride line to be 90 minutes and youre on after 60, youre happy. Expect your wait for a car to be 30 and it takes an hour, youre raging. Same wait! I used to stress about these sort of things, immigration, delays etc, but ultimately, we always get there and a bit of hassle along the way is to be expected. Keep your expectations low and itll keep your stress levels low too
Completely agree with this Jo .
I was expecting a long wait in JFK when we were ushered to the immigration desk with our big black ✖️On the machine print out , so what a nice surprise when we got through quite quickly 😀
The Ihop breakfast , I was not expecting 😡 Im learning now though 😉😂
Aug 2018...Westridge
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family Time In Florida
Unread 14 Aug 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have a very clear expectation when I am collecting/buying/renting something.

It's my money and it's been paid for already or will be at the counter. I'm not paid to wait and if you haven't got enough staff to deal with me then there is a very real possibility that will be the last time you see me.

I don't queue for an inordinate length of time in John Lewis or M & S etc so I don't see why I should queue for a rental car. 5 or 10 mins yes, any longer then no.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Third Trip Of 2019 - Back To SSR
Discount Florida Car Hire