Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Aug 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
We add it on (an extra option through the booking process). My husband says we actually used Insurance4carhire last time so apologies for quoting the wrong one. We get the Annual Worldwide Policy which includes the SLI too. He's looked this morning and the price has gone up to £125, but that's still reasonable.

Just to say - I was in hospital when I replied and the morphine made me a bit foggy so my reply is a bit muddled, apologies for that!
Well done on the price you got. I hope you feel better soon. As Mick says we both try to stop Dibbers being caught out and sad to say I think some still are.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYorkshire
Staying in the Castle

This is what a friend advised me to do, she said that when they do the fly/drive with British airways, they just buy a policy in the UK which covers the damage waiver and upto $1million excess. When I've looked the quote for the excess insurance is £125, which is a lot cheaper than hiring another car or paying the extra insurance through alamo.

My only worry was that once I get to Florida, Alamo would say my insurance isn't valid etc... as it would be a 3rd party insurance?
DisneyYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyYorkshire View Post
This is what a friend advised me to do, she said that when they do the fly/drive with British airways, they just buy a policy in the UK which covers the damage waiver and upto $1million excess. When I've looked the quote for the excess insurance is £125, which is a lot cheaper than hiring another car or paying the extra insurance through alamo.

My only worry was that once I get to Florida, Alamo would say my insurance isn't valid etc... as it would be a 3rd party insurance?
Sorry but your friend was just wasting her money taking out a separate policy.

If you do a fly-drive with BA the cars are provided by either Avis or Budget and they are fully insured - CDW with no excess and $1m SLI. Done it twice in recent years.

Can't help on your final paragraph as we've always taken the full insurance offered by a UK broker or Alamo Brits. Hopefully KRBarnard can put your mind at rest on your concerns.

Mick
Old 30 Aug 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Originally Posted by Loubloo1 View Post
I wont ditch the free car. Mine has cost me £500 with full insurance for 11 days in May next year. You cannot compete with that
Your "Free" car cost you £500 for 11 days?
Super.
My separately booked Full Size SUV, with Full Insurance for 14 days cost me £475.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyYorkshire View Post

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry but your friend was just wasting her money taking out a separate policy.

If you do a fly-drive with BA the cars are provided by either Avis or Budget and they are fully insured - CDW with no excess and $1m SLI. Done it twice in recent years.

Can't help on your final paragraph as we've always taken the full insurance offered by a UK broker or Alamo Brits. Hopefully KRBarnard can put your mind at rest on your concerns.

Mick
So many people still recall the days of the free car meaning add-ons at the airport.
The add-ons ar still there with them, but they relieve you of your cash long before you arrive.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
So many people still recall the days of the free car meaning add-ons at the airport.
The add-ons ar still there with them, but they relieve you of your cash long before you arrive.
I recall the "script" from the Dollar agent at SFB 20 years ago.

"I see you've only booked an intermediate size car sir. It's not really big enough even though there's only two of you. To upgrade to a full size is usually $50 a day but for today only we have a special offer of only $25 a day".

Mick
Old 6 Sep 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I recall the "script" from the Dollar agent at SFB 20 years ago.

"I see you've only booked an intermediate size car sir. It's not really big enough even though there's only two of you. To upgrade to a full size is usually $50 a day but for today only we have a special offer of only $25 a day".

Mick
Yo Gadgey Mick, pre Fl banger ownership I'd walk to the counter, put my paperwork, driving license and credit card down and firmly say, 'no upgrades, no fuel, no nowt, give me what I paid for and I'm gone', very occasionally one would chance their luck to be met with a stoney stare and minute head tilt. Hubs refused to be at the desk with me as he couldn't handle my, ahem, firm attitude but always appreciated how quick I was. Oddly, if I have need of a one way/one day hire I'm never pushed to upgrade because there's nowt in the way of commission for them.

Hope you and Joan are very well Gadgey

Edited at 01:19 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List