Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Aug 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 20: Durham world heritage site and Dalton Park for shopping and cinema

A bit of a different day today - The kids opted to have a lie in this morning so I decided to have a bit of me time, and take a walk into a Durham city and the world heritage site. I have to admit I enjoyed having a bit of time to myself!
The walk from the Travelodge into the main part of Durham took about 15 minutes, but again the sun was shining and it was lovely and warm, so I enjoyed the peaceful walk!
It didn’t take long to spot the cathedral in the distance
We have already seen Exeter, Glasgow and Gloucester cathedrals this trip, so was looking forward to comparing them.

It was easy to follow the route into the city, and a pretty direct walk. I came across the shopping area first and there is nice square with a mixture of mainstream shops and some quirky individual ones. There is also an indoor market which was much bigger than I expected.

I loved this Street with the colourful umbrellas

I enjoyed looking in some of the quirkier independent shops and there was a nice vintage one too. I picked up some gifts for my sisters birthday to send to her in the Netherlands.

I took the walk up to the Cathdral next - up a lovely street with lots of shops. There is a congestion charge to drive on the streets in this area, so there were very few vehicles, which was nice.
I arrived at the cathedral and there was a fairly big queue to get in. I was surprised as it as the first time I’ve had to queue at a cathedral. You can’t book tickets in advance on the website, you just have to turn up and give a donation on entry.

Eventually the queue moved and I went in after about 20 minutes, and paid the voluntary (but recommended ) £5.

There is an interesting gallery at the beginning with includes an exhibition on light.

It was quite a peaceful place and something a bit different. There was one feature which looked like a vertical single beam of light, but when you caught it right it flickered into the illusion of a cross.

The main part of the cathedral was beautiful with stunning high ceilings and gorgeous stained glass, but I still think Gloucester had the edge .

The cloisters and courtyard again were nice but not a patch on Gloucesters

However the shop was really good - a great assortment of touristy stuff but also hand made and unusual things. I bought a few bits and bobs here.
There is also a cafe and courtyards where you can eat outside, but I didn’t try this.

I took a quick walk to see the river and then headed back to the hotel, picking up some Greggs for everyone on the way. Just as I reached the hotel, it started to rain. It didn’t rain long and the skies were soon sunny again.

In the evening we went to Dalton Park Outlet shops for a quick browse round before the cinema. Everyone managed to spend some money, and there were enough shops here to interest us all.

We went into Cineworld for our 7pm movie, after stocking up in a Morrison’s (in the same carpark) on popcorn and drinks.
The movie we watched was a Disney’s Jungle Cruise and we all loved it - especially the cringey jokes made just like on the jungle cruise ride in a Disney world 😂

Back to the hotel then, and tomorrow we are off to York, with a stop at Whitby to see the Abbey and hopefully get some decent scampi!

Edited at 05:36 PM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Glad you got some well deserved you time. We all need that from time to time. Loved the umbrella street and the quirky shops. Its good you all enjoyed cinema night. I am sure you all needed a day at an easier pace.
Old 5 Aug 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Ahh I love Durham! Sounds like a nice day
Old 5 Aug 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Love a mooch around Durham. I’m pleased you got to see it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

My home city. Pleased you liked it.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a lovely relaxing morning for you Durham looks lovely and I love the umbrella street
Old 6 Aug 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Really great place to live! Loved the vibe there, and the people seemed really friendly
Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
My home city. Pleased you liked it.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I think you all deserved a relaxed day. Durham is great and even better in the sunshine, love the umbrella street.
We are all dying to see Jungle Cruise, pleased you all enjoyed it.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List