Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Aug 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks everyone. I believe I could trust him. And bless, he’s so eager and excited to stay home. He’s on about inviting nan for tea and saying that he’s keep the house tidy. He is good as gold.

It’s just a huge step. I’ll have a think and speak to my mum as well I think.

I wish he was little again…
Old 4 Aug 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

We left our kids for a week when they were 18 and 16 a friend and neighbour kept an eye on them and they knew they could go there for help with anything.
I was worried the whole trip but I need not have worried as they were both fine and sensible.
If you think hes a sensible lad and your sister is close by , then trust him , he will be fine , and he will feel proud to be trusted
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Our sons stayed home alone at 16, there was 2 of them (16 and 18) although the eldest stayed home alone at 17 too. My mum and my aunt did only live 5 minutes away by car.

Both boys were very sensible and worked on weekends, and managed to get up without us there and caught a bus to and from work. They did have friends over occasionally but no parties (to my knowledge 😂 ) and the house was never too messy when we returned.

If he’s capable of preparing a few simple meals (or warming up meals you leave for him) and he’s trustworthy then I think he should be ok (as your sister is close by too). It is sad when they decide not to come, but you could find in a couple of years time he may change his mind and want to go with you again. Our sons have had holidays with us again as they’ve got older
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

I say let him. You have family close by and if he is excited for it it will do wonders for his MH. My daughter who also is suffering with MH right now wanted to stay home whilst I went away for work overnight, my mum and sister are less than 5 minutes away so I agreed. It really perked her up and showed me that sometimes it's those small things where we show we trust them that can make a difference. The fact that he is making plans already that include his nan is amazing as I'm not sure many others at 16 would be planning to have their nan round for tea rather than having a party when home alone.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Kirsty2tt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

It sounds like you have every reason to be extremely proud of your son. He’s been mature and said what he wants and I think it’s amazing that he wants to invite Nan for tea and keep the house tidy .

I’ve worked with young people sustaining their own tenancy at his age.

He sounds like an extremely hard working, mature and sensible young man 👏🏻.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

You can only go with your gut, you know your son the best, I would be inclined to be concerned about his mental health as you mentioned he has had some issues.
I couldn’t and wouldn’t leave a 16 year old over night. 16 is not an adult and even though they think they are, they are not an adult and still the parents responsibility. I just couldn’t forgive myself if something happened and I couldn’t rest whilst away either.
I don’t think its a case of maturity and trust but rather a case of you never know what could happen. (Maybe I am over dramatic as I caught a burglar once in the middle of the night).
No offence to anyone who chooses to leave their children over night at all 🥰
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I would say let him, he sounds sensible and he’s old enough.

My mum went away for four nights when I was 15, almost 16. I stayed at home, but my now ex boyfriend’s parents lived down the road and so they kept an eye on me over the week (this was about 2011 so not that long ago!)

I think because it had always been mum and me, I was quite sensible for my age too.

16 isn’t exactly far off an adult and I’m sure he knows what to do in an emergency, just like an adult would. Some teens move out at just turned 18 for uni and legally you can leave home at 16 (although your parents are responsible until aged 18).

For me, age is just a number, it’s your maturity that counts. I think it’s good to teach young people independence and not to have them overly reliant on parents all the time.

Edited at 10:56 PM.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I feel like bad mum now reading some of these comments. We are going on a weeks cruise soon and our daughter is 16, her brother is 23 and will be in most of the time and they are both sensible. We left son at home from the age of 16. He was in full time work and didn’t get much leave.
It’s other people that worry me more. Just make sure your son doesn’t post on any social media that you are away.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I feel like bad mum now reading some of these comments. We are going on a weeks cruise soon and our daughter is 16, her brother is 23 and will be in most of the time and they are both sensible. We left son at home from the age of 16. He was in full time work and didn’t get much leave.
It’s other people that worry me more. Just make sure your son doesn’t post on any social media that you are away.
You are absolutely not! We all have to trust them at some point. And we all feel ready when we’re ready….or sometimes when we are forced to be. A 16 year old in full time work generally is mature and independent enough.
Mine has only just got to that point, which is why I’m a little hesitant. My son on the other hand feels more than ready 😂
Old 5 Aug 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

My DH and I are going away to London this weekend and leaving my 17 and 14 year old sons alone at home together. It is the first time we’ve ever left them, but I must admit until this thread it hadn’t really occurred to me that it might not be the right thing to do!

Both boys are really sensible and are looking forward to me leaving them money so they can order in takeaways! They haven’t got wild friends and so I’m not concerned about partying, (their ideal ‘wild night’ is staying up until the early hours gaming!) but perhaps I’m being negligent to not even be concerned?

Worried now! 😢😂

Edited at 07:01 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List