Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jun 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Non drowsy hayfever medi

Evening all
So at the moment I’m taking cetirizine hydrochloride which is supposed to be non drowsy however I am exhausted by 2pm every day as soon as I pick James up at 3 I’m ready for a nap, I’ll have 10 minutes and then I’m absolutely fine.

It’s also not fully clearing my symptoms
I’m still have an itchy throat and sneezing.

Can anyone recommend anything? I’m so down about it at the minute because I just can’t be bothered to do anything

It came up on my Facebook memories that I’d written a status feeling the same this time in 2014 and I remember it does seem to happen the same time every year and it’s not been too hot so can’t blame the heat.

Louise x
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Loratadine is the non-drowsy one, Cetirizine is usually the drowsy one. I don’t find Loratadine works for me, but Cetirizine does, whereas my brother is the other way round.
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

I too have found the tablets all seem to knock me out. I find becanase nasal spray is better for me.

Other thing i do is take it before bed each day so the worst of the drowsiness is hopefully when i am asleep.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Fleurlur
Getting Excited

Cetirizine is supposed to be non-drowsy but it knocks me the heck out!
Loratidine is non-drowsy but doesnt work for me The steroid nasal sprays are good and eyedrops and tablets off the doctor!
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Loratadin is non drowsy & you can use Beconase up the nose as well, which is brilliant
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Brilliant thank you all, will nip to the pharmacy tomorrow, may try home & bargains first 🤓
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nic18076
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Benadryl allergy relief - it’s acrivastine - you can take up to 3 a day and it works in 15 minutes so it works really well for me. I like that you only need to take it when you are affected and that you don’t need to have all 3 doses if the pollen count is lower. It has never made me drowsy. You should definitely check you are ok with it with the pharmacist as it might not be ok for everyone and one of its downsides is that it tends to be really expensive compared to the other antihistamines available.
I can’t take the version of it with decongestant in though (it has added pseudoephedrine) - it’s acts on me as though I have had several large cups of really strong coffee and makes me feel super jittery.
Nic18076 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Cetirizine makes me drowsy too, I’m fine with Loratadine although when pollen count is high I still have some symptoms. All the supermarkets have their own brands which are cheaper than the main brand Clarityn I usually get them from Aldi or Lidl.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A pharmacist once told me that all the non-drowsy antihistamines do make 10% of the population drowsy, including me. So I am another person who had resorted to nasal sprays or, preferably, eye drops.

Edited at 08:55 AM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

They all seem to make me drowsy so I end up just suffering
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List