Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Jun 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Graceland anyone?

Has anyone been to Graceland in Memphis?
If so, did you visit as part of a tour of the area and where else did you visit?
How long would you recommend staying in Memphis before moving on to somewhere else?
Any help/tips greatly received.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PIGLET38
Imagineer

Would be interested in this too. We are planning on doing Memphis & Nashville next year. Having a look at the things we would be interested in doing we are planning on staying 3 nights.

1993 & 1994 Kissimmee*1999 ASM*2000 Lindfields*2006 Pop Century*2010 Windsor Hills, AKL & ASM*2012 Villa Greater Groves*2014 Cabana Bay/Disney Cruise*Apr2016 Villa Whispering Oaks*Aug2016 Highlands Reserve & RPR*Apr2018 CBR*July2018 HR Villa & Anna Maria*AUG2019 HRH*Dec 2022 Regal Oaks*Mar 2023 HR Villa*
PIGLET38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jane2211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Also planning on doing this next year as well as New Orleans x
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tonigary
Imagineer

We did this a few years back, we stayed at heartbreak hotel, and did the VIP tour of Gracelands, and we enjoyed it so much and would love to go back one day. We also did Tupelo as well, which is where Elvis grew up, which took about an hour to drive too. I can highly recommend Marlows Restaurant which is near Gracelands, great ribs and steak. We also went to Beale Street, which was great. Also, we did the tour on Sun Studios. I have to say we enjoyed our stay in Memphis, the people were very friendly. But I will say some areas are not so good, hence Elvis singing about Geto, but I will say we never felt unsafe, and will go back one day.
We enjoyed the tour around Graceland, which also lets you go and see his aeroplane, Lisa Marie. His house is great, and so much history there. You will have a fab time
tonigary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
excitedbunny79
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve done it as part of a fly drive of the Deep South. Flew to Atlanta and did lots of stop offs inbetween the main cities, we spent 2 nights in Memphis and loved every second of Gracelands we booked tickets independently and you have headphones and commentary as a self guided tour. Spent a couple of nights in New Orleans, Chattanooga, Birmingham Alabama, and lots of small towns like Baton Rouge. I would go back to Gracelands in a heartbeat. We accidentally bumped into Priscilla Presley coming out of a lift at the Intercontinental having seeing Elvis Live the night before at the 02. I really wish I’d had the nerve to ask her for a picture but all I could say was how much we enjoyed the show and waffle a bit!

excitedbunny79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Yeah we did in 2017. Had a fabulous time. My trip index is here.

https://DIBB.in/12884630

Day 5 arriving in Memphis and Beale Street
Day 6 Graceland and Sun Studios
Day 7 Martin Luther King/Civil rights and setting off for Nashville

We also visited New Orleans on this trip and then the following March as we liked it so much. In fact we are back again in NOLA this October

Check out Crispy A,s Tennessee trippy as well
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi, we did Graceland last year during a 3 night stay in Memphis and 3 nights was about right.

We visited in August and had been warned that Graceland gets really busy so we arrived for opening (it's only 20mins from Memphis centre). At the complex there are all the musums (cars, planes, memorabilia) but head to Graceland house as soon as possible - you get a shuttle across (queues can be long) and are then let into the house in groups. We were in the first group in and it made a big difference going round.

You can buy VIP passes that get you fast track entrance but we wouldn't have benefitted.

For me the other 'must sees' in Memphis were the Civil rights museum and the Sun City studio tour.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

We left Memphis a couple of days ago having stayed 2 nights we booked Graceland via Expedia, we really enjoyed the tour it’s worth the visit, we also did the Sun Studio Tour and the Lorraine Motel. We stayed at theComfort Inn Downtown, great value for money and a big thanks to CrispyA for the heads up in her trip report. For us 2 nights was enough in Memphis.
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Thanks everyone
It’s my wife’s dream to visit Graceland so will hopefully be going in the next couple of years.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Hi. Wiley Coyote has a great trippie that includes Memphis and I think she’s given you the link. Have a look at my Tennessee report - we had 3 nights in Memphis and could have stayed longer - we really really enjoyed the city.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List