Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jul 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

My friend who was a midwife developed a form of OCD/ anxiety and she became terrified she would drop a baby. She went back to General Nursing but hated it and left altogether. She did have treatments but could never go back to Midwifery but now runs a brilliant Nursery school without any problems.
Old 16 Jul 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

The good news is that this type of thing often responds well to treatments such as cognitive behavioural therapy. While on the face of it, it sounds very trivial (and people joke about it - "Oh I am so OCD about ..." when they actually aren't), it can really have a big impact on quality of life.

See your GP, and good luck
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Sorry to hear you're feeling like this MK, we're sending our best wishes x
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Haven’t read all the replies, but just a quick question. Do you have any ‘negative/bad’ thoughts about what might happen if things don’t go to routine etc? Apart from the hand washing, do you have any rituals that you must carry out? Counting for example?
If so, then you may have OCD - if not, then some kind of anxiety disorder.
A chat with your GP would be a good idea either way. Some GPs are better than others with this type of illness - mine is really good fortunately 🙂
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Haven’t read all the replies, but just a quick question. Do you have any ‘negative/bad’ thoughts about what might happen if things don’t go to routine etc? Apart from the hand washing, do you have any rituals that you must carry out? Counting for example?
A chat with your GP would be a good idea either way. Some GPs are better than others with this type of illness - mine is really good fortunately 🙂
A good point here. My DD has OCD and GAD. Her reaction and how she's feeling indicate which is at the uppermost at that time. DD has an issue with fabrics that are not hers (so, fabric chairs in restaurants, clothes in shops etc), she believes them to be covered in germs and the germs will get on her if she touches them. It sounds minor to people who don't suffer but it affects her life and ours when she's having an episode. CBT has been a huge help to her and well worth looking into.
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

My sister has OCD. She is a hand washer also. She has routines. She was convinced our brother died because a lemon fell off her lemon tree and became obsessed with the remaining lemons.

She is now medicated with a mild ant-depressant. It has turned her life around. Go see your GP and best of luck.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post

Yeah there are certain routines that I have to do, it’s weird, one is I have to pray everyday that all my friends and family are healthy and happy, yet I’m not even remotely religious, yet I panic if I don’t...

A lot of these only started the last few years, the only thing I used to do before DS was born was hand washing but was never excessive like now!

Thanks for all your replies, I guess I should get over the feeling of being embarrassed by some of these things and seek professional help...

I am trying really really hard to get over my holiday anxiety and routine for DS so I can take my family on a much deserved holiday to DLP next month!
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MK_club1987 View Post
Yeah there are certain routines that I have to do, it’s weird, one is I have to pray everyday that all my friends and family are healthy and happy, yet I’m not even remotely religious, yet I panic if I don’t...

A lot of these only started the last few years, the only thing I used to do before DS was born was hand washing but was never excessive like now!

Thanks for all your replies, I guess I should get over the feeling of being embarrassed by some of these things and seek professional help...

I am trying really really hard to get over my holiday anxiety and routine for DS so I can take my family on a much deserved holiday to DLP next month!
Always seek professional help. I have lots of experience of this. My father, who was a succesful businessman had a number of severe depressive episodes in his life, one when I was 16 that resulted in a suicide attempt (note I am not suggesting you are the same by any means, just giving this as an example). But he always came back, and had decades between incidents without any serious issues. He did get some short term help after the suicide attempt (well the police found him) but was quickly discharged, and never really sought help. It was all brushed under the carpet, because he felt some sort of shame.

Anyway, 30 years since his last main incident, fairly recently in fact (2 years ago) we thought he was acting a bit weird. I actually thought he had Altzeimers as he was really forgetful, but he didn't seem normal. Next thing I know I am getting a call from my mum terrified he had a carving knife out at home. He was immediately admitted to a secure psychiatric hospital. He had psychosis and severe depression.

Anyway this time, everyone knew. My father got treatment and is doing extremely well- back to his old self. He is on medication and they say he should be fine from now on with it, its a low dose. Difference is he now tells everyone what happened to him, and has no shame about it at all- he seems to enjoy telling people of his experiences and he laughs at some of the visions he was having in hospital (he was convinced he was coming down some dark stairway to see us when we went, it was a bungalow, and he saw men in black suits sat around once when we were there- all totally bizarre). I go for a pint or three with him every Friday and we nearly always talk about it in some form. He is so pleased he is now open about it and got the help he probably needed for decades.

So get your help, and best of luck. Remember the mind is the world's most advanced (organic) computer and sometimes it goes wrong and needs a bit of fixing.

Edited at 01:31 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am the same with the hand washing so i totally understand. Thank god for contactless because i wont touch a cash machine or money unless i really really need to. Going to disney is hard because after ever ride i’ve got the gel out for me and the kids. I’m trying to stop as its not fair on the kids. I hate going out to places as all i think about is germs. It really does take over your life
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MK_club1987 View Post

Sounds a lot like OCD, but obviously you'd need to see a professional to get a diagnosis. Don't be embarrassed, you're not going mad and you're not alone.

mind.uk/information-.../#.XS3N9OhKiUk