Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
We stayed there in February and felt similar. We won’t go back unless it’s significantly cheaper than the other moderates (which it was in February). No issues with the rooms, food, buses but during the week it was majority convention goers and the atmosphere and vibe was not only not Disney, it wasn’t even holiday. I’m not sure what the convention was but the attendees were 99% middle aged men and they hung around the bars, the pool area and the food court all day dressed in suits so like you I didn’t feel comfortable going to the bar or into the food court in a swimsuit with cover up. I actually got “hit on” as the Americans say when I went down for some pastries one morning and a fella on the bus to Disney Spring asked me to dinner (husband was standing a bit down the bus). If it had been a convention of a kids team it would have been a different vibe. It didn’t really bother us overall and we were happy to have had a nice room onsite for a good price but it will never be our top choice.
Wow! That’s horrible to be hit on with your husband there.

That’s exactly my point. The hotel is lovely, facilities great and we still had a good time, it was just a different vibe and since there are so many other options, I’d rather go elsewhere. Even if I was looking for a couples/ adult hotel I think I would be looking at the new Riviera hotel to avoid the convention guests.

With the kids competition, I can only describe it as being back at pop century with the Brazilian tour groups. Was chaos. Which is exactly why I stayed value once and will never do so again.

Edited at 01:34 PM.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Consider the sesire to be sepate from conventioneers may be a cultural thing. I am American and have stayed at both the CSR and CR, both convention hotels, several time, with and without conventions present. It has never bothered me to have people in business attire in the same hotel as I. I usually dress in buniess attire, even on the weekends and hope it doesn't make people uncomfortable if I stop by the outlet mall in my suit during the workday.

As far as marketing, I think the issue should be raised with the travel agent with whom you booked and use another company or DIY next time.

I also think the first week or month of anything new will have kinks and they have to be expected.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Consider the sesire to be sepate from conventioneers may be a cultural thing. I am American and have stayed at both the CSR and CR, both convention hotels, several time, with and without conventions present. It has never bothered me to have people in business attire in the same hotel as I. I usually dress in buniess attire, even on the weekends and hope it doesn't make people uncomfortable if I stop by the outlet mall in my suit during the workday.

As far as marketing, I think the issue should be raised with the travel agent with whom you booked and use another company or DIY next time.

I also think the first week or month of anything new will have kinks and they have to be expected.
A mall is not a fair comparison imo. The reason most of us are comfortable wearing swimsuits at the pool, beach, water park is because everyone is there for the same purpose and similarly attired. Those of us who will wear a bikini/trunks at the pool wouldn’t wear them at the mall because it isn’t the expected attire for a mall.

So, when a pool/beach/water park has a group of people fully clothed in suits it changes the vibe and the power structure. There’s a vulnerability inherent when we’re all dressed for the pool. When someone is sitting in a suit watching people in swimwear it changes the power structure and it’s not comfortable.

Of course this isn’t the usual vibe at CSR and the conventions all have different demographics. Ok sure some times it’s overrun with kids groups or teen groups etc. We just happened to hit at the same time as a group that was overwhelmingly men, some of whom were open to a good time. I don’t want to suggest for a second that others going should be expecting a similar vibe or that nobody can wear business attire ever at a resort. I don’t think it’s cultural and I doubt many people would feel comfortable in their swimming/resort costume when the pool is mostly men in suits drinking beer 🤷
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post

Going to a mall in a suit is totally different from wearing bikinis in a hotel surrounded by people in suits. When you’re on holiday you want to feel like your on holiday and not be reminded of work all of the time being in that environment where everyone’s is stressed working on laptops. Besides my main complaint is that there were not enough facilities when the conventions were on.

All UK travel agents market Coronado springs the same way, towards families. Besides as I’ve said the hotel was lovely and it’s not a complaint, just an observation that i personally preferred the vibe in other hotels. I’ve stayed in Coronado springs before albeit years ago and loved it. Don’t remember any conventions and if there was it didn’t have any impact on us and we really liked the decor and atmosphere. That’s why we didn’t hesitate to go back, which is why it’s disappointing that to us it just felt like a different vibe to the hotel this year that would make me choose elsewhere.

Edited at 02:08 PM.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yes, indeed. And I think Disney has been reasonably upfront about that fact. It's aimed more at conventioners, whereas most of the other 20+ resorts are aimed more at families looking for Disney magic. They recently added the Gran Destino tower to encourage even more conventioners.
Does it mention this on the Disney UK website or any U.K. travel agency website? No

I would stick to defending the car parking fees🤪😀
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We've stayed at CSR 3 times, although a few years ago now. We actually thought it was quieter than other moderate especially during the day, we put it down to convention guests actually being in the conventions and not around the pools etc.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Does it mention this on the Disney UK website or any U.K. travel agency website? No
Disney UK

disneyworld.disney.go/en...ces-amenities/

chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lorr05 View Post
Going to a mall in a suit is totally different from wearing bikinis in a hotel surrounded by people in suits. When you’re on holiday you want to feel like your on holiday and not be reminded of work all of the time being in that environment where everyone’s is stressed working on laptops. Besides my main complaint is that there were not enough facilities when the conventions were on.

All UK travel agents market Coronado springs the same way, towards families. Besides as I’ve said the hotel was lovely and it’s not a complaint, just an observation that i personally preferred the vibe in other hotels. I’ve stayed in Coronado springs before albeit years ago and loved it. Don’t remember any conventions and if there was it didn’t have any impact on us and we really liked the decor and atmosphere. That’s why we didn’t hesitate to go back, which is why it’s disappointing that to us it just felt like a different vibe to the hotel this year that would make me choose elsewhere.
Are you saying that people in business suits shouldn't be allowed to stay at the hotel? Like nearly all hotels, CSR is open to all - whether they want to visit on holiday or are there on business. I'm sure when the business people are there they probably don't want to be reminded of vacation all the time being in that environment where everyone is enjoying themselves by the pool whilst they're stuck in a meeting.

Although it's marketed as a family hotel by travel agents who are selling the hotel to families, it's also marketed as a convention centre to those looking for a business venue. Clearly, UK travel agents are not going to market it as a convention centre to UK families nor are Disney's business agents going to market it as a family resort to business folk looking for a convention centre. The marketing is targeted at it's audience.

But even if it is primarily a family resort (and, tbh, it is) it shouldn't mean that business people can't have conferences and meetings there.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Erm, yes it does. In a number of places it states that CSR has a Convention Center.

As I say above, CSR won't be marketed as a convention centre to UK holidaymakers. Because that's not what they are interested in. You don't market aspects of a resort to people that aren't interested in that part of the resort.

Whatever it may say on the UK Disney website, Disney still makes it clear in lots of places that CSR has a convention centre and caters to business conventions. I've already pointed out that on Disney's own Meeting & Events website CSR is promoted because of it's extensive convention facilities. However, it's also on the sign right outside the resort:

(As for defending parking costs, I wasn't defending the parking costs. I was defending the people who don't moan about the parking costs. Equally, I'm not "defending" CSR having a convention center but merely pointing out that CSR does contain a convention center, it states as such on its website, and Disney does promote this to businesses).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Are you saying that people in business suits shouldn't be allowed to stay at the hotel? Like nearly all hotels, CSR is open to all - whether they want to visit on holiday or are there on business. I'm sure when the business people are there they probably don't want to be reminded of vacation all the time being in that environment where everyone is enjoying themselves by the pool whilst they're stuck in a meeting.

Although it's marketed as a family hotel by travel agents who are selling the hotel to families, it's also marketed as a convention centre to those looking for a business venue. Clearly, UK travel agents are not going to market it as a convention centre to UK families nor are Disney's business agents going to market it as a family resort to business folk looking for a convention centre. The marketing is targeted at it's audience.

But even if it is primarily a family resort (and, tbh, it is) it shouldn't mean that business people can't have conferences and meetings there.
For goodness sake at what point did I say people aren’t entitled to wear suits or go to conventions. Deliberately misinterpreting what I’m saying.

Like you said I’m sure business people don’t want to be sitting around people in swimwear and Disney T-shirt’s as much as people in swimwear don’t want to sit around people in suits, yet that is the situation with this hotel which was precisely my point to begin with! It’s a mix of business people and families on holiday and for about the millionth time I said my impression of this hotel is that’s it’s trying to cater more towards business people and conventions which is why as a family I would choose to stay elsewhere.
Closed Thread