Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jul 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

uEA is a fabulous campus location. The swathes of green offset the concrety nature of the buildings themselves.

My kids loved it. I found that the applicants day ( or a later open day as some we visited in sept too "to be sure") we visited / my DS visited using the same method he would have to use to go back and forth. 6 hours on a bus. He opted for Southampton as it was only 2 hours on a train 😉
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
DD visited Lincoln on Friday with a friend. She seemed to like it (although, surprisingly I think Liverpool is still the favourite with Chester the least favourite). DW will be taking her to Nottingham Trent on Wednesday. And then I think that might be it - unless I’ve missed another or DD suddenly fancies visiting a different uni.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:04 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

DD loved Leeds, wasn’t so keen on Liverpool Hope but loved the city so will be going back to visit John Moore’s. Still got Manchester and UEA to go...
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Hello! I've just discovered this thread and would like to join!
My DD is due to start uni in Autumn 2020.
She's currently studying A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science (doesn't get any of this maths/science stuff from me!) and has just got 4 A*s in her end of year 12 mocks.
We have looked at Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge and Southampton so far.
Warwick is first choice and Oxford 2nd. Cambridge was discounted.
In September we will be visiting Bristol and Nottingham and going back to see Warwick.

Exciting times! But nervous too!
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
She's currently studying A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science (doesn't get any of this maths/science stuff from me!) and has just got 4 A*s in her end of year 12 mocks.
In September we will be visiting Bristol and Nottingham and going back to see Warwick.

Welcome to the thread! What is your DD hoping to study at university?

It is surprising how many people discount Cambridge. My DD is hoping to do vet med and Cambridge is the one uni where the course is not rated and it is said that Cambridge produce vets with not enough hands on experience.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Wow. Congratulations to your DD!

(In hindsight I should've done a Computer Science A-level rather than Chemistry, but I stupidly thought computers wouldn't become as big as they did )

Unfortunately, my DD's got 3 Ds in her mocks. That was a bit upsetting.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
She wants to study maths - her passion is number theory. Warwick appeals to her as she can tailor the course to that and also bring in particle physics 😬

DD fell in love with the dreaming spires of Oxford and the course there. She had tasted days at both Oxford and Cambridge and I wandered around Cambridge while she was in lectures. I’d never been before and fell in love with the city and prefer it above Oxford - but it’s not about me!
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post

It is surprising how many people discount Cambridge. My DD is hoping to do vet med and Cambridge is the one uni where the course is not rated and it is said that Cambridge produce vets with not enough hands on experience.
My friends son is doing veterinary medicine at Cambridge. He's just finished his 2nd year. They insist you do practice in all of the holidays although you have to arrange it yourself. I know he's done dairy, horses, small animals and is literally on a pig farm now! He is also going to an animal sanctuary for the rest of the summer.
The Cambridge course is 6 year not 5 like others Unis as you do a year (in the 3rd year) of another course -he's doing zoology!
All I can say is that for a boy who went to his local comprehensive school, he absolutely loves it and in both his first year and second year exams has got a first.
Remember that going to Oxford or Cambridge will open up doors in the future. My husband did Physics at Hertford College Oxford. He went to our local comp as well -loved it there, has friends for life and in his chosen field of engineering it has definitely helped his career as people respect how hard he worked. Mind you he is pretty bright!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Ah! My local University, it’s grown a bit since I first went to “the milk bar” but the engineering facilities are fantastic, plus Warwick technology area is first class
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 11:25 AM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

She wants to study maths - her passion is number theory. Warwick appeals to her as she can tailor the course to that and also bring in particle physics 😬

DD fell in love with the dreaming spires of Oxford and the course there. She had tasted days at both Oxford and Cambridge and I wandered around Cambridge while she was in lectures. I’d never been before and fell in love with the city and prefer it above Oxford - but it’s not about me!
My daughter is studying the same subjects at A level however she has completed her maths this year. She also attended the taster days at Oxford and Cambridge. I felt the same as you about Cambridge on our first visit , however on our second open days we both felt that Oxford was the most likely choice. We also visited Warwick and Durham. My dd put Durham above Warwick. I really loved the campus at Warwick and my daughter liked the course. My dd also wants to study maths. Best of luck to your dd with the exams and university. It’s exciting and daunting at the same time.