Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Are leasehold properties a no-go?

We're house hunting and frustratingly a lot of the houses we like are leasehold. They aren't new builds or even close so its weird so many of them are leasehold.
My husband thinks its an instant no, but I was looking for some insight.
If the property has a very long lease of around 1000 years, and the ground rent is a token amount under £100PA, is it really so much of an evil? What's the implications for things like mortgages?
I definitely wouldn't be interested in a newer build property with large monthly service payments but interested if anyone has any insight into what its like owning a property with a very long lease.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

If its a 1000 year lease then personally I wouldnt worry as it will outlive generations

if its only say a 60 year lease then I would avoid

We used to live in a lease hold new build , ground rent was iirc £200 a year, we sold it no bother
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
If its a 1000 year lease then personally I wouldnt worry as it will outlive generations

if its only say a 60 year lease then I would avoid

We used to live in a lease hold new build , ground rent was iirc £200 a year, we sold it no bother
Thats reassuring thank you. Did it affect the mortgage or legal side in any way?
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Is there any possibility that the leasehold could be purchased on completion?
I know quite a few sellers buy the lease when selling on older houses.
Some of the houses we’ve bought, including the one we live in now, have had the leases bought in recent years.
Personally, we wouldn’t buy a leasehold property, unless it was an apartment.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We were also in a newish leasehold and sold without issues.

Another option is to ask for the lease to be purchased as part of your sale. Negotiate it into the asking price.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I had no idea you could buy the lease- definitely something worth asking! The properties we are looking at are under budget so there's some wiggle room.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thats reassuring thank you. Did it affect the mortgage or legal side in any way?
Not that I recall , this was over 25 years ago so things might have changed now

legally no issues iirc, Mrs Novo worked in a lawyers at the time & we got all legal work mates rates/free but cant recall any probs

Edited at 03:53 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
C4rla
slightly serious Dibber

We've had a massive legal battle with our leasehold and no end of expense. I really wish we had never bought it as we're kind of trapped there now.

I'm aware the majority are absolutely fine, but given what's happened with us I would not go near one again. As we have learnt, the law seems to be quite different if you are in a leasehold house as opposed to a flat.

There is potentially some leasehold reform coming, so it may well improve the position.
Sep 2024 10th Anniversary SSR & SF Sep 2023 SF Post Accident Sep 2022 SSR, RP and ALK October 2019 Disneyland and San Diego Sep 2018 Back to SSR Sep 2016 With the Zebras - ALK Sep 2014 Honeymoon - SSR Sep 2013 Surprise engagement - SSR Sep 2011 Back for three weeks - Comfort Suites Maingate East Sep 2009 Trip one - Econolodge
C4rla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by C4rla View Post
We've had a massive legal battle with our leasehold and no end of expense. I really wish we had never bought it as we're kind of trapped there now.

I'm aware the majority are absolutely fine, but given what's happened with us I would not go near one again. As we have learnt, the law seems to be quite different if you are in a leasehold house as opposed to a flat.

There is potentially some leasehold reform coming, so it may well improve the position.
Thank you- I've heard a large amount of negative press but it usually seems directed against newer build properties with shorter and more expensive leases. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
We're house hunting and frustratingly a lot of the houses we like are leasehold. They aren't new builds or even close so its weird so many of them are leasehold.
My husband thinks its an instant no, but I was looking for some insight.
If the property has a very long lease of around 1000 years, and the ground rent is a token amount under £100PA, is it really so much of an evil? What's the implications for things like mortgages?
I definitely wouldn't be interested in a newer build property with large monthly service payments but interested if anyone has any insight into what its like owning a property with a very long lease.
We’re also house hunting and finding the same thing.
A lot of properties that have been done up recently seem to be leasehold. I wonder if it’s a way of making a bit of extra money on them.
We almost bought a leasehold property last time around but negotiated to buy the freehold because of the restrictions about what we could and could not do in the house without asking the landlord’s permission.
The purchase fell through for other reasons.
But I think those restrictions are the main reason I wouldn’t want to buy a leasehold house, even with a long lease and a low service charge.

Edited at 04:17 PM.
PopAlways is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List