Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Tix
Unread 17 Mar 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Went through it all recently as my daughter is in her first year at uni now and will probably be going through it all again with our youngest in the next few years (2023)!
My advice is first think about what they want to study and whether they want to live at home or move out. These two things will be the biggest choices theyll make initially.
Next based on the above choices, visit open days applicable only to those choices. No point in looking at Unis/courses they have no intention of studying at (unless they arent totally decided of course).
Next, once all choices have been made, visit all applicants/taster days. IMO and based on experience, these are far more valuable than the open days. Your child will get a real feel for the Uni and course at these days, much more so than at the open days.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
Imagineer

Mobile

Have done this once with DS but DD is planning to go in 2020. TV and Film Production (not media studies or film studies... ). Weve been to Westminster. I didnt like it. Rank halls and Uni split across 4 sites so small student population where her course is held. The course seemed great however. We have York, Middlesex and Royal Holloway planned but she still needs to choose some others.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ July 2020
Unread 17 Mar 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsie25
VIP Dibber

Hi, my daughter is planning to go in 2020 too. She is hoping to study History and Politics. We also have the problem of most open days being on a Saturday as DD works every Saturday. So I guess we have to plan carefully.

Thank you FamilyGWales for posting the links, I've just signed up for UCAS parent info and saved the open day page to my favourites.

It's been along time since DH went to uni so we feel like first timers, will be following this thread with interest.
Unread 17 Mar 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Good luck - we have been through it this year! The 2019 thread has been a great help as we are not UK based!

We have also been through the Hong Kong and the French systems so it has certainly been a rollercoaster! Indeed, the French one is only just beginning!

Now we have the toughest part - the actual exams!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Visiting my boy in Hong Kong:
Unread 17 Mar 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck everyone, I really enjoyed our open day visits with Dd.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
We re going back
Unread 18 Mar 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Debsie25 View Post
Hi, my daughter is planning to go in 2020 too. She is hoping to study History and Politics. We also have the problem of most open days being on a Saturday as DD works every Saturday. So I guess we have to plan carefully.

Thank you FamilyGWales for posting the links, I've just signed up for UCAS parent info and saved the open day page to my favourites.

It's been along time since DH went to uni so we feel like first timers, will be following this thread with interest.
About open days, we have the opposite problem - most of the earlier open days have been set for week days, when our son will still be in school, after this years exams but will have started next years work. Some of the open days he can attend, the Saturday ones are later on in the year and he wants to get on looking at Universities.
Hope your DD manages to juggle her work schedule

Florida - 04, 05, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Cruises - 17 - Caribbean, 18 - Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Caribbean, Mexico, , , 19 - Med, China/Japan/HK+more
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Venice cruise - then Disney CSR in Jan!
Unread 18 Mar 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We found last year that a lot of open days are on Saturday or Sunday. However if the University only does weekdays, check out June dates as most exams are over by then, or students dont always need to attend school/college unless they have an exam, so weekday open days are easier to get to then. Word of caution on this though would be to check the exam timetable first as you dont want to book the open day then discover it clashes with an exam 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Adults only to La Pineda
Unread 18 Mar 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Ours were a mix of week day and weekends.
My daughter was allowed 2 days off during term time to attend these kind of days. Cant remember if it was for open days or applicants days, may have been both/either.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Attraction Tickets Direct