Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
My Magic Holiday
Unread 18 Mar 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As mentioned on another thread, my DD was considering doing VetMed in 2020, although she's beginning to adapt her thoughts and is considering BioVeterinary Science or Animal Biology (and similar courses) or maybe Veterinary Nursing as well.

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Our first uni visit is next Saturday (23rd) at Harper Adams. This new course is set over the 2 campuses and you can visit both on different days, choosing which one you want to live at as there is a shuttle bus apparently.
We're also planning on visiting Harper Adams on Saturday, although it depends on whether DD can get time off from her Saturday job. A lot of open days seem to be on a Saturday; it would've been better for DD if more were on Sunday.

She's also considering Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Chester, Staffordshire, Liverpool, Man Met U, probably several others I can't remember at the moment.
DLC: Jun 95 - Holiday Inn // WDW: Dec 97 - Gateway Inn | Feb 00 - Gateway Inn | Mar 01 - Best Western | Feb 06 - Embassy Suites | Oct 10 - Hawthorn Suites | May 12 - Homewood Suites | Aug 14 - CBR&Doubletree | Apr 16 - Caribbean Beach // DLP: Aug 13 - Sequoia Lodge

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 18 Mar 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Another one here, my son wants to do Electrical Engineering is automotive Engineering.
Hoping to get him a university apprenticeship with an automotive manufacturer to pay for his university fees lol.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
29th year of visiting Florida
Unread 19 Mar 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Ours were a mix of week day and weekends.
My daughter was allowed 2 days off during term time to attend these kind of days. Cant remember if it was for open days or applicants days, may have been both/either.
Useful to know T hasn't said anything about that, will ask him. His older brother is in year 2 of university now but he is no help with this stuff as he was adamant he wasn't going to university at all and decided at THE last minute to apply for his course, he was lucky to get anything sorted in time.

T will be missing the very last week of term anyway, for our holiday so reluctant for him to miss any more time, but I suppose there will be other students off.

T will only be applying to Scottish universities. We've had all the dates of Open Days marked on our diaries for ages now, we will go see them all but we are hoping he will be able to stay at home whilst studying

Florida - 04, 05, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Cruises - 17 - Caribbean, 18 - Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Caribbean, Mexico, , , 19 - Med, China/Japan/HK+more
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Venice cruise - then Disney CSR in Jan!
Unread 19 Mar 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Another one here, my son wants to do Electrical Engineering is automotive Engineering.
Hoping to get him a university apprenticeship with an automotive manufacturer to pay for his university fees lol.
Our elder son, who is 23, has recently gone back into education (Yay! after much persuasion from us! ) and is doing HNC in Mechanical Engineering hopes to do something similar to your son, hoping to get an apprenticeship to qualify to degree level
Good luck to him!

Florida - 04, 05, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Cruises - 17 - Caribbean, 18 - Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Caribbean, Mexico, , , 19 - Med, China/Japan/HK+more
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Venice cruise - then Disney CSR in Jan!
Unread 19 Mar 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Useful to know T hasn't said anything about that, will ask him. His older brother is in year 2 of university now but he is no help with this stuff as he was adamant he wasn't going to university at all and decided at THE last minute to apply for his course, he was lucky to get anything sorted in time.

T will be missing the very last week of term anyway, for our holiday so reluctant for him to miss any more time, but I suppose there will be other students off.

T will only be applying to Scottish universities. We've had all the dates of Open Days marked on our diaries for ages now, we will go see them all but we are hoping he will be able to stay at home whilst studying
Ive just asked her, and she said she was allowed 3 days (I thought it was 2) in Y13 for open or applicants days and they were all told this by the sixth form.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Ive just asked her, and she said she was allowed 3 days (I thought it was 2) in Y13 for open or applicants days and they were all told this by the sixth form.
I don't think my DD's college has a limit for going to applicant days midweek, we just let the college know when she would be absent on an applicant day.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I'll be there for my birthday!
Unread 20 Mar 19, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Hi all,

The previous thread about uni visits and the process has been really informative so I thought I would start a new one for those starting September 2020.

My DD wants to be a vet and so do a vetmed course. Only a few Unis actually do the course so it is hard to get in.

Our first uni visit is next Saturday (23rd) at Harper Adams. This new course is set over the 2 campuses and you can visit both on different days, choosing which one you want to live at as there is a shuttle bus apparently.

Anyone else got anything plannned?

Not involved in 2020 intake but just wanted to say that my cousin is in her final year at Harper Adams doing a vet/animal care based course and has absolutely loved it there!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First trip as DVC owners!
Unread 20 Mar 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DD18 is taking a gap year and applying this time around - the same year as DD16, so we have double trouble - arrrghhh. We found the best time for open days was June - the big unis often had the days on both a Friday+Sat or a Sat+Sun - giving options - then adding in the extras that they think about over the summer in September/October.

Spreading them out is good... nothing so demoralising as traipsing round uni campuses 6 or 7weekends in a row - make sure they limit their number of choices to the ones they have researched the courses on.

Early doesn't really help much unless for medical etc where they have to apply so much earlier.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
ResalesDVC