Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#41
Lottie2004
slightly serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Apr 12
Mobile

Hi,
My Son attended a UCAS event on Wednesday and came home with prospectuses for Warwick, Royal Holloway,East Anglia, Bangor and Lancaster ! Wow ... weíve got a few long road trips ahead of us - as we are in Plymouth ! xx
Lottie2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
#42
ChoppyGirl
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
ChoppyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06
DD applied for the University of Surrey vet med summer school and got an email this afternoon to say she as been accepted. Itís for 5 days at the end of July and includes accommodation, food and travel. Hopefully it will help her for her applications next year.

On another note she spent a day at an abattoir on Tuesday and has a weeks residential lambing next week. All going well so far.

Edited at 07:13 PM.
ChoppyGirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
#43
Cloverlady
Imagineer
 
Cloverlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 12
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
DD applies for the University of Surrey vet med summer school and got an email this afternoon to say she as been accepted. Itís for 5 days at the end of July and includes accommodation, food and travel. Hopefully it will help her for her applications next year.

On another note she spent a day at an abattoir on Friday and has a weeks residential lambing next week. All going well so far.
Well done to your daughter! One step closer!


Our son still hasn't quite decided what he wants to do at uni yet!
He has been asked to a meeting with head of year next week as amazingly he has scored 90%+ in the most recent tests over the last fortnight in all his 5 of his Higher subjects. (Biology chemistry physics maths and computing science) We're in Scotland so not doing A levels.

Scottish final exams actually start this month!
T has his first one, Biology, on 30th April!
__________________

Florida - 04,05,06,08,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, Covid cancelled 20, 21...
Cruises - Caribbean x3, Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Mexico, Mediterranean x2, Greek Islands
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
#44
jdndt
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Apr 14
My son doesn't have a clue what to study. He was thinking of Physics but as he has gotten more into his a levels he is torn as he likes them all! He's studying maths, physics and chemistry so he'll do a STEM subject but that's as far as he has got. We are booked into York for an open day and he has already attended lectures at Leeds. School suggested looking at Durham and St Andrews but they are quite far away!
jdndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
#45
Cloverlady
Imagineer
 
Cloverlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 12
Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
My son doesn't have a clue what to study. He was thinking of Physics but as he has gotten more into his a levels he is torn as he likes them all! He's studying maths, physics and chemistry so he'll do a STEM subject but that's as far as he has got. We are booked into York for an open day and he has already attended lectures at Leeds. School suggested looking at Durham and St Andrews but they are quite far away!
Similar to my son then! T has been thinking Physics too, but like your boy he enjoys chemistry too. And biology!
T is doing fine at maths but it is definitely his weakest subject and he will be glad he can drop it next year. T says there's more than enough maths to be going along with in physics, (as you'll know!)
__________________

Florida - 04,05,06,08,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, Covid cancelled 20, 21...
Cruises - Caribbean x3, Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Mexico, Mediterranean x2, Greek Islands
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
#46
TINKERBELL44
slightly serious Dibber
 
TINKERBELL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13
Donít forget after the open days youíve got the interviews to follow ! Weíve been all around the country and my daughter accepted the offer from Cardiff for physiotherapy which is only 24 miles away! 😀😀
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
#47
jdndt
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Apr 14
We live in North Leeds (half way between Leeds and Harrogate) - I'd love him to go to Leeds or York but obviously it's up to him. I went to Leeds from Northumberland. 24 miles away is perfect - easy to get to in an emergency (or when they want something more likely).
jdndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
#48
Nimbus
Imagineer
 
Nimbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10
Location: South Manchester

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Similar to my son then! T has been thinking Physics too, but like your boy he enjoys chemistry too. And biology!
T is doing fine at maths but it is definitely his weakest subject and he will be glad he can drop it next year. T says there's more than enough maths to be going along with in physics, (as you'll know!)
Thereís certainly nothing wrong with studying Physics at university. Although it does tend to be a more academic subject and not quite so applied as some other subjects (eg. engineering). And thereís a lot of maths in it (I suggest avoiding Lagrangian Mechanics).

Looking through my DDís prospectuses, thereís quite a variety of courses - more so than I remember. Your son could do Biochemical Engineering, for example, which combines all three science subjects. Or I can recommend Medical Biophysics.
__________________
DLC: Jun 1995 // DLP: Aug 2013 // WDW: Dec 1997 | Feb 2000 | Mar 2001 | Feb 2006 | Oct 2010 | May 2012 | Aug 2014 | Apr 2016 | Aug 2020

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
#49
Cloverlady
Imagineer
 
Cloverlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 12
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Thereís certainly nothing wrong with studying Physics at university. Although it does tend to be a more academic subject and not quite so applied as some other subjects (eg. engineering). And thereís a lot of maths in it (I suggest avoiding Lagrangian Mechanics).

Looking through my DDís prospectuses, thereís quite a variety of courses - more so than I remember. Your son could do Biochemical Engineering, for example, which combines all three science subjects. Or I can recommend Medical Biophysics.
Hehe, my husband would agree with you as that is what he studied at university!
T has always been very academic and a high achiever so would certainly cope well with any science route we feel, and enjoy it too, even the maths involved, he does get all As in that too but isn't his fave subject, but does fine.

Good idea about biophysics, he has looked into biophysics and would find something incorporating both those sciences interesting for sure He was reading recently about P.E.T. scanners
__________________

Florida - 04,05,06,08,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, Covid cancelled 20, 21...
Cruises - Caribbean x3, Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Mexico, Mediterranean x2, Greek Islands
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
#50
Nimbus
Imagineer
 
Nimbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10
Location: South Manchester

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Good idea about biophysics, he has looked into biophysics and would find something incorporating both those sciences interesting for sure He was reading recently about P.E.T. scanners
I tried to get my DD interested in a Medical Engineering course - which was about design/making medical equipment such as PET scanners. She wasn't interested though.

I did a PhD in Medical Biophysics. It was around 10% Biology, 20% Physics and 70% computer programming. My research was in a novel form of x-ray tomography for breast cancers. Others were looking into image analysis (face recognition, mammogram analysis) and the mechanics of artificial knees/hips. This was 25 years ago, mind you.
__________________
DLC: Jun 1995 // DLP: Aug 2013 // WDW: Dec 1997 | Feb 2000 | Mar 2001 | Feb 2006 | Oct 2010 | May 2012 | Aug 2014 | Apr 2016 | Aug 2020

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Airlines
On 3rd August 9:48am
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has conducted a review into airline refund practices during the... Read More »
Posted in Disneyland Paris
On 1st August 1:13pm
With the new Ratatouille ride coming to EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Disney has released... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 30th July 9:26am
Disney has not only been welcoming guests back to their theme parks, they have also... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2808
CaxtonFX  $1.2714
Covent Garden FX  $1.2846
FAIRFX  $1.2775
John Lewis  $1.2845
M&S  $1.2587
Post Office  $1.2595
Sainsburys  $1.2768
TESCO  $1.2782
Travelex  $1.2737
Updated: 08:00 12/08/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0912
CaxtonFX  €1.0841
Covent Garden FX  €1.0949
FAIRFX  €1.0860
John Lewis  €1.0941
M&S  €1.0731
Post Office  €1.0728
Sainsburys  €1.0885
TESCO  €1.0901
Travelex  €1.0854
Updated: 08:00 12/08/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now