Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Jun 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Winn Dixie 7840 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy

I was just watching video on youtube about the supermarket at Formosa gardens closing down on march 25th 2019

now I went into this store in november 2001 and I remember it being a winn dixie but I do not remember it being Chinese themed, so can anybody say was it just a normal Winn Dixie back in the day and if so when did it get the Chinese theme

I know the near by the Splendid China attraction closed in late 2003 so was this supermarket remodelled with items taken from Splendid China or was it always a Chinese themed supermarket and I walked around with my eyes closed on the day that I visited back in 2001
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I went in 2005 and remember there were little characters above the shelving. You would have to be looking up to see it so I guess if you were actually focussed on shopping you might have been able to miss it.

Edited at 07:26 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

It was mostly above eye level that all the decorations where, apart from the little pond near to the main entrance. As far as I know it was always like that.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

albertsonsfloridablog.blogspo...inn-dixie.html

I remember feeding the koi fish in the pond in the entrance to the store and the singing Dolls!
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The Formosa Village Gooding's was one of the stores the company sold to Winn-Dixie in 2000. By 2001, this store officially converted to the Winn-Dixie name...well, sort of. While this store is a Winn-Dixie Marketplace all the signs on this building use only the term 'Marketplace Since this store opened in 2001, it would have probably been one of the last, if not the last, Winn-Dixie Marketplace store to open
so I was right to say it was a Winn-Dixie and it looks like i did walk around this store with my eyes firmly shut
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
traleegirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Do you have a link to the video, we were devastated to find it closed last week, it was our favourite ‘quick shop’ supermarket...
Old 5 Jun 19, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

That's one thing DH and I always laugh about when we refer back to visiting Florida: "THE WEST IRLO BRONSON MEMORIAL HIGHWAY!" ... funny name roads.
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
albertsonsfloridablog.blogspo...inn-dixie.html

I remember feeding the koi fish in the pond in the entrance to the store and the singing Dolls!
Fascinating article. I was amused that the author thought it must be busier in prime season. It wasn't! Even when I stopped in the day before Hurricane Irma hit it was empty. The original permission for the site to be developed required a supermarket be included. I have long suspected they must have been paying little or no rent in recent years so the landlord could meet that condition. There is no way they could have been profitable!

For anyone interested, the Chen family still own the Plaza plus all the land behind it except Margaritaville. This includes the new winery and the undeveloped corners at the Formosa Gardens Blvd/Funie Steed crossroads. The article doesn't mention the residential developments either. The Chens were definitely involved in the development of Oak Island and Formosa Gardens at least. The street names all reference Chinese themes.

I miss the giant dragon at the intersection with 192. It made a great reference point for visitors.

I visited Splendid China years ago with my mother and grandparents. It was actually really well done and the evening show was incredible. The Marketplace however I won't miss at all.
Old 5 Jun 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by traleegirl View Post
Do you have a link to the video, we were devastated to find it closed last week, it was our favourite ‘quick shop’ supermarket...

that is the video that I watched

I still cant believe i totally missed the pagodas and the Chinese theme at this store

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Old 5 Jun 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

That was sad to watch. Brings back memories of our local Safeway closing down … and Woolworth … and British Home Stores ...
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List