Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jul 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Avis Group W - Std SUV - What can I expect?

Starting to dream of our summer USA trip (not Florida this time - going West Coast to LA and driving out via Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Zion then back to Newport Beach).

Lot of driving so I will be taking more care choosing our car this year. Interested to hear what people have been getting from Avis in this class recently, and how you would rank the alternatives. This is the list from Avis website and my first guesses on how I should rank them.

1st Choice:
Ford Edge
GMC Terrain

Possibles:
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Toyota Highlander
Hyundai Santa Fe
Mazda CX-9

Ones to Avoid:
Kia Sorento
Dodge Journey
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota 4Runner
Nissan Murano
Chevrolet Equinox
Buick Envision
Honda CR-V

My preference when hiring in USA is to get a USA car and not something from Japan or Asia. Also some of the US cars in my avoid list look like they should be a class lower or have bad feedback.

Really appreciate peoples experiences and views as I haven't done much research yet, but will do in next few weeks before we go.

Shame GMC Acadia and Ford Explorer seem to be a class higher with Avis - they would top the list but I would be relying on an upgrade (fingers crossed! )

EDIT - just in case anyone suggests it, I have already upgraded from Group F (Ford Escape), and further upgrades via BA seem pricey or I would go for Group S (GMC Acadia type). I may give them a call on the off chance though!

Edited at 10:10 AM.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarentino
slightly serious Dibber

We had a CX-9 in November & a Terrain in May. I much preferred the Mazda, I'm sure it was a higher spec than the GMC.
Clarentino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
kipperphill
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We are group w and I am shocked at some of the cars on your avoid list. Are they really w cars? They seem more similar to the Ford Escape. I'd be gutted if we get one of those.
kipperphill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a Dodge Journey last year (actually a free upgrade from F) and a GMC Terrain this year.
I actually preferred the dodge.

The gmc boot was quite small. It did have leather seats, reversing camera and Sirius radio oh and heated seats!
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by kipperphill View Post
We are group w and I am shocked at some of the cars on your avoid list. Are they really w cars? They seem more similar to the Ford Escape. I'd be gutted if we get one of those.
I thought the same - got this list from here:
avis/en/cars/vehicles/us/w

Some of them did look far too small for the class when I googled for more details, so definately want to avoid those.

Comments from @Mr Tom Morrow have put me right off the Dodge Journey, but Mazda CX-9 does look OK so maybe that is a decent option.

All comments appreciated!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

The Dodge Journey is one to avoid there awful, the Honda CR-V is one of the most popular suv in America so getting one of them isnt a bad thing
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy View Post
The Dodge Journey is one to avoid there awful, the Honda CR-V is one of the most popular suv in America so getting one of them isnt a bad thing

It looks small though when the example car for the class is a Ford Edge - Honda CR-V looks more like a Ford Escape equivalent to me?
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have you phoned BA recently? I had originally booked a Group D (VW Jetta or similar) then upgraded to Group W but only a couple of weeks ago upgraded again to Group S for only £2 more so worth calling again if you haven’t done so recently
We too are going to the West Coast this year flying in and out of San Fran. I’m hoping for a cheeky upgrade to a Tahoe but we will see!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

The Honda CR-V is a lot bigger than the Ford Escape, the Honda CR-V is the same size as the Ford Edge
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
robotango
Proud to wear my Ears

We had a brand new Dodge Journey with Avis last year and it was really good, can't understand all the negativity
robotango is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List