Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Tix
Unread 19 Jul 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm considering buying an Antler hard shell Richmond case from TK Maxx for 70. I've always used soft cases and never had any issues but always worry when we land in bad weather (which has happened on a couple of occasions and I know the cases have been abandoned mid-offloading). I take a few bin bags to pack dirty clothes in for return and I use these to line the case so that hopefully if the worst happens and the cases are left to the mercy of the weather gods the contents have a little bit of extra protection.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Five Run Off to Florida
Unread 19 Jul 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a trip and IT hard cases, mine have been all over the place, the IT ones are 8 years old now, but huge one has a damaged wheel (the case itself it cracked around it), it was my fault though cause I slammed it down whilst it weighed close to 35kg getting it out the car changing hotels!
Anyways the other cases are pristine!
2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Plotting the next adventure:...
Unread 19 Jul 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FloridaFairy View Post
Interesting points there ...
Im looking at getting new cases and was leaning towards hard shell cases...
Always worried that they would crack tho...
Really good point about being waterproof ... even tho weve travelled to Florida many times I never really thought about the contents of my cases getting wet from rainstorms ... only from bottles leaking inside...
Quality seems to pay too as per another poster although DS has worked behind the scenes at an airport and has seen just how they handle the cases so isnt surprised when ours have dings.dents and damage to them ...

Has anyone bought cases whilst in Florida and if so from where.. what would you recommend ?
We have a set of soft cases which have been used for 5 Florida trips and are starting to look a bit worse for wear. We over did it with the shopping last year and had to purchase an additional case when in Florida. We bought a Samsonite hard shell case in TJ Max and it is great, Im going to try and buy some more before our next trip. The only thing I regret is buying it in black, I wish I had bought it in a brighter colour so it would stand out on the carousel.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Woo Hoo! Let the planning begin
Unread 19 Jul 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Always hard shell for us.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
5 do WDW for my 50th Birthday!
Unread 19 Jul 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
We have a set of soft cases which have been used for 5 Florida trips and are starting to look a bit worse for wear. We over did it with the shopping last year and had to purchase an additional case when in Florida. We bought a Samsonite hard shell case in TJ Max and it is great, Im going to try and buy some more before our next trip. The only thing I regret is buying it in black, I wish I had bought it in a brighter colour so it would stand out on the carousel.
My old Samsonite I spoke about earlier has an identifying fluorescent orange cross sprayed on it. I didnt mask the area, so its a bit of a mobile Banksy paint job. Looks rubbish, but helps me locate it and stops anyone taking it by mistake. 😀
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weeks RC Flying in Corfu
Unread 19 Jul 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris106
Apprentice Imagineer

The only trouble with hard cases is that they don't stack well together which is probably why there always seems to be more of them damaged than soft shell on baggage conveyors , but then as mentioned soft shell run the risk of getting the contents wet if left out in rain storms ... Good quality hard shells probably the answer for Florida on balance ?
Chris106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 19, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Soft for us. Much more flexible for packing. And large numbers seem to come off planed wrecked compared to duffles.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Apprentice Imagineer

We always used to have hard shell cases, but swapped to soft in recent years.

1 because they are usually lighter so we can fit more stuff in (which we need with 2 teen girls), but the main reason was about fitting four cases in our car. The hard ones wont fit, but the soft ones do.

Having said that our brand new Tripp soft suitcase was damaged last year on first use, but the airline replaced it. So there are advantages and disadvantages for both.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dominican Republic here we come...
Attraction Tickets Direct