Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Sep 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Esta - that's a first

KLM check in lady refused to take our luggage at bag drop unless we provided proof of esta. Insisted that written proof was a condition of travel.
Had already checked in with API etc but she also insisted on us providing a US address
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Seems rather strange as they would already have a list of those that have a valid ESTA. Having a printed copy does not mean that the ESTA in question is still valid.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

This is not normal.
Old 4 Sep 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There's an extensive current thread about printing ESTAs and there's been similar ones over the ten years since they were introduced.

The simple fact is that there is absolutely no reason that the check-in agents should demand a print as a swipe of the passport will prove it. However, since Jan 2009, there's been dozens of Dibbers who have been asked for a print - mostly in the UK.

Here's the recent thread if you've got a spare 30 minutes. Be patient though as it starts asking about customs forms.

https://DIBB.in/14049152
Old 4 Sep 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Always print it
We got stuck once when the systems were down and people who didn't have a printed ESTA had to wait in line while each person's details were 'phoned through to check. Plane was an hour late taking off and it was a real mess. People who had a printed ESTA at least were allowed to board and wait in relative comfort
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Same thing happened to us at BA check-in desk at Glasgow. I was quite surprised as there is supposed to be no need to have a hard copy. She was really quite unpleasant, so I was delighted to be able to hand the ESTAs over, don’t know what would have happened if we hadn’t had paperwork.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Never print it and never been asked for it, and we nearly always fly KLM these days to the US. Sounds like you just got an ill informed check-in staff member.

I do however have a virtual copy of it on my phone should I ever need it.

No point in a digital world having physical copies of documents you don't need.

Edited at 09:23 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'd be contacting KLM about this. its not normal. i suspect some staff may need a refresher course in what is actually needed...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i'd be contacting KLM about this. its not normal. i suspect some staff may need a refresher course in what is actually needed...
And also some VS, BA, TC and Tui staff apparently judging by the scores of Dibbers who have been asked for a print out since Jan 2009.

The official ESTA web site suggests that you take a paper or digital copy - presumably to be prepared for such ignorant check-in staff.

Mick