Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Aug 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
3 Caballeros
Earning More Ears

Mobile Just back from a 2.5 week trip - thoughts and tips from a dad

My views based on the following itinerary (landed back today!):

4 nights LA
3 nights Anaheim
3 nights Vegas
3 nights Mountain Lake/Yosemite
1 night Monteray
2 nights San Fran

The good bits:
1. There was a lot of travelling but I wouldn't change a minute. Highlight by a long way was the drive from Vegas to Yosemite (we went to the East of Death Valley) - it was 6 hours and my wife and I planned to split the load but it was 5 hours in before I was ready to hand over, and I'm normally not a driving fan. Beautiful!
2. Yosemite. Can't put into words how beautiful this place is. 2 days doesn't give it justice and the one place I absolutely need to return to. Walks, views beyond compare, wildlife and a fantastic hotel at Tenaya Lodge. I had high expectations and they were surpassed a million times.
3. Whale watching at Monterey. A reasonable detour for one night and Monterey was so-so, but seeing plenty of whales so close was worth every moment.
4. Disneyland - I probably don't need to say too much given the many threads on here, other than to advise to get fastpass. Mid-August, pretty busy and we got on everything we wanted at least once over 2 days.
We arrived for rope drop and walked straight onto the Millennium Falcon. Also booked Cantina tickets on the day with little hassle - worth the experience.
5. LA - we had 3 days and loved strolling around. We're a reasonably active family so walked the 3 miles to Hollywood; walked from Santa Monica to Venice beach. Amazing and so many friendly people - My 10 year old is a gymnast and the locals at muscle beach spent ages coaching him on the rope climb - a massive highlight and nothing like I expected.
6. Baseball. Ok, we are already fans but we got Angels, Dodgers and As tickets. Combined cost was less than $50 ok, but a perfect way to experience US culture in my view.

The not so good bits:
1. The cost! As a family of 5 hotel rooms are never cheap - along with food costs this wasn't a cheap holiday (though admittedly we stayed in well located hotels in each location).
2. Vegas: I didn't get it, to out it bluntly. Too hot and dry to make it uncomfortable. The opulence of shops was almost offensive - a not too subtle way to lure gamblers into a "here's what you could have" mindset from the start. We stayed at MGM grand and a shelter by the pool was $300 (Yes - you read that correctly! ). The one exception was Freemont Street which felt so much more authentic and the zip wire was ace! Glad I've done Vegas, but not again.

I've not mentioned San Fran, because it doesn't fit into either bucket. Alcatraz is interesting, decent city to walk around (We did 15 miles in a day), but felt like we had done it after 2 days. Parking costs are horrific too ($40+ a day in the centre) - in hindsight we would have returned the car early.
3 Caballeros is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

All really useful info, thank you.
flossdaisy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Sounds like a really great trip. Can I ask where you stayed for the LA and Anaheim parts? We’re going next year, and so undecided on where to stay!
Old 26 Aug 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
3 Caballeros
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
Sounds like a really great trip. Can I ask where you stayed for the LA and Anaheim parts? We’re going next year, and so undecided on where to stay!
LA we stayed at Montrose West Hollywood. Pricy but great location - walkable (just about!) to Hollywood and 20 mins to Santa Monica. Food during happy hour excellent value and delicious.

Anaheim was Residence Inn by Anaheim. Again, very good - 10 minute walk to the parks. The breakfast is "complementary" as well. To be honest, location is everything around Disney as we hardly spend any time at the hotel!
3 Caballeros is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you, an interesting read.
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List