Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Sep 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile Singapore and Malaysia

Not long back from my first time in thailand and absolutely loved it. I thought next year I could visit Singapore, Malaysia and bangkok.

Has anyone been to Singapore or Malaysia that can let me know the best areas to stay and recommend things not to be missed. I'm just starting my research on the places before I decide to book flights.

Thanks x
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

In April, we did a trip to Malaysia- overview of the trip: Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Langkawi, KL.
Previously we’ve visited Penang and Malacca. Also been to Singapore and Bangkok a few times.
Happy to help if you have some more specific questions.
There are some excellent trip reports - Melbatb and geordieprincess from memory.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Well I'm currently in Singapore...

Singapore is small - the whole island is smaller than Greater London if I'm not wrong. Generally fairly well connected by public transport, and taxis are fairly cheap as well.

Places to stay - my impression is that most of the hotels are concentrated in a few main areas:
- Orchard Road area - this is the shopping district with something like 2km of shopping malls and hotels
- City Hall/Marina Bay area - pretty well connected to most places, you can walk from this area to a number of downtown tourist sights, and there are quite a number of MRT stations in this areas as well to connect to other parts of the island.
- Other downtown area places like Clarke Quay
- Sentosa - island to the south of Singapore, probably more of a resort vibe. It's where Universal Studios and a lot of other activities are located. It's generally not as well connected by public transport though.
- There are also hotels in other parts of town like Balestier, Alexandra, Changi - these are a further away from the city centre, but will usually be quite a bit cheaper.

If you intend to get around by public transport I'd opt for somewhere near an MRT station if possible...

Things to see here might include
Zoo and Night Safari (and to a lesser extent the River Safari)
Gardens by the Bay and the night light show and maybe the sky walk
Botanic Gardens
Universal Studios and other parts of Sentosa
Parts of town like Chinatown, Little India, Kampong Glam, Clarke Quay areas
There are a few museums around like the National Gallery, Art Science Museum

Anyway I'm always happy to answer questions about Singapore!
Old 10 Sep 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

I went yo KL for a week - lots of info in my trip report in my siggy!

Shout if you have any other questions!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi,

In August we did a trip that was 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur, 10 nights in Borneo (Malaysian side) and then 4 nights in Singapore.

We booked everything independently and happy to provide any info / details.

Loved all the places we visited and would happily go back.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all the info. Once I can find reasonable flight prices and get something booked I'll really appreciate more information.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We've done KL 3 nights, Borneo (Kota Kinabalu) 7 nights and then 3 nights in Hong Kong.

We really didn't like KL but loved Borneo and HK.

I really didnt like the inequality between men and women in KL - despite it being 30+ and high humidity - the men were in shorts but 60/70% women were in full burkas and wooly gloves .

Its the only place we've been that we wouldn't go back to - although it was very clean and tidy and other than mentioned above we had a fab time.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Singapore, food and shopping heaven. Chilli crab, a Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel, amazing Changhi airport and the zoo by night is great
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

KL also great for good value food (Malay, Chinese and Indian), there were lots of counterfeit goods when we went (clothes, movies, bags etc.) depending on ifyou see that as an issue or a benefit!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We did Malaysia and Singapore last summer.
Here is my mini trippie.

Malaysia and Singapore, Aug 2018
Pretrip
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098062
Kuala Lumpur
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098063
Penang
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098064
Singapore
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098094
Final thoughts
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098100
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List