Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 12 Sep 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
tiredmumof2
Excited about Disney

Mobile Medical devices on water rides.

My youngest has Type 1 Diabetes and needs to carry a monitor to track blood sugar levels from a sensor. It needs to be in close proximity, as a result we’re looking to buy a waterproof pouch for the monitor when we visit the water parks.
Does anyone have experience of using the pouches on the rides? I’m aware he wouldn’t be able to wear it around his neck on the rides but we’d hope he’d be allowed to wrap it round his wrist. Any experience? TIA
Going back! Universal Endless Summer Suites October 2019, Hawthorn Suite LBV October 2010, Villa in Davenport - April 09, Disney Animal Kingdom - April 06, Disney All Star Movies - April 05, Enclave Suites - Nov 02 and Mar 04, Rodeway Inn - Apr 98 and Mar 2000
tiredmumof2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Tj28
Getting Excited

It should be fine. DH tends to use one of these for car keys, $20 plus potentially things like mobile phones. He tends to pop around his neck and under clothes. He has lots of these little bags as a water sports enthusiast!

Although the pouches are really good, sometimes you can get small leaks, so for something critical like a monitor, I would suggest wrapping in a ziplock bag inside the pouch.

DH even uses his pouches at the water parks, so your water rides in the main parks will be fine.
Tj28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Depending on how big it is on SPlashM they give you a pencil case size zip lock bag for belongings.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Are you talking about a Dexcom or libre? My youngest son has T1, and the last few times we've gone he's disconnected his pump and left his kit in the lockers, and we return regularly (at least hourly) to check blood sugar and re-connect his pump and bolus if needed. He uses the omnipod now though, so no disconnecting.

If it is the Dexcom, you'll find the signal won't work if the transmitter is under water.

If you really do want to keep his receiver (phone, or actual receiver?) on him, I'd imagine a belt would be better than some sort of wrist band. Having said that, I'm sure I've seen GoPros being used on every Disney waterpark ride, so I'm sure as long as it's secure they'd be ok with it.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
tiredmumof2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Are you talking about a Dexcom or libre? My youngest son has T1, and the last few times we've gone he's disconnected his pump and left his kit in the lockers, and we return regularly (at least hourly) to check blood sugar and re-connect his pump and bolus if needed. He uses the omnipod now though, so no disconnecting.

If it is the Dexcom, you'll find the signal won't work if the transmitter is under water.

If you really do want to keep his receiver (phone, or actual receiver?) on him, I'd imagine a belt would be better than some sort of wrist band. Having said that, I'm sure I've seen GoPros being used on every Disney waterpark ride, so I'm sure as long as it's secure they'd be ok with it.
Hi,

Thanks for your response 😀.

Yes both Omnipod and Dexcom- and it’ll be the Dexcom receiver and PDM. We always put a temp basal on when we go to the water parks as he tends to hypo when he’s swimming/exercise. We’ve always used the lockers in the past but wanted to have the ability to monitor him whilst we we’re queuing for the rides etc. Just means we’re not tied to the lockers (I know it’s not a great problem but just means more time for rides &#128513.

Thanks again.
Going back! Universal Endless Summer Suites October 2019, Hawthorn Suite LBV October 2010, Villa in Davenport - April 09, Disney Animal Kingdom - April 06, Disney All Star Movies - April 05, Enclave Suites - Nov 02 and Mar 04, Rodeway Inn - Apr 98 and Mar 2000
tiredmumof2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

I know exactly what you mean! We've recently started looping, and worrying slightly about what we're going to do as he needs his phone and riley link for it to work. He used the animas vibe (tubed) before the omnipod so was always used to wearing a belt to carry it.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t do water rides so I queue with my daughter and then hold her diabetic kit whilst she rides with the rest of my family. We do the same for big rides like hulk etc (I don’t like scary rides lol)
I always queue with them because you just don’t know how long the queue will be, even though it’s given a time it could possibly longer.
We are hoping to get the omnipod & dexcom, I assume they are water proof like the libre?
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tiredmumof2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I don’t do water rides so I queue with my daughter and then hold her diabetic kit whilst she rides with the rest of my family. We do the same for big rides like hulk etc (I don’t like scary rides lol)
I always queue with them because you just don’t know how long the queue will be, even though it’s given a time it could possibly longer.
We are hoping to get the omnipod & dexcom, I assume they are water proof like the libre?
Yes, both are waterproof but may need additional tape to secure if they stay in water for a long time.
Old 12 Sep 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I use tegaderm or opsite Libre/Dexcom to keep them sticking to the body.

I'll be placing a Libre on my belly (rather than arm) as sun cream will make it come loose. Using a tegaderm patch to keep in place.

Used opsite when I was on the dexcom.
Old 12 Sep 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tiredmumof2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by ch1ps View Post
I use tegaderm or opsite Libre/Dexcom to keep them sticking to the body.

I'll be placing a Libre on my belly (rather than arm) as sun cream will make it come loose. Using a tegaderm patch to keep in place.

Used opsite when I was on the dexcom.
We also use the kinesis tape from Amazon. It’s excellent and comes in lots of jazzy designs.

Yes, sane here, tummy for us too (we actually get better readings). We also have sun skins for him to wear in the water parks so he won’t catch them on the rides.