Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Sep 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Just using Disney transportation - no car

We went for 2 weeks at the end of August and for the first time we didn't hire a car. We relied entirely upon Disney transportation (we didn't leave the World) and a few Ubers to get us home quicker at the end of the night after meals at the Poly and the Boardwalk and also to get us to Fantasia mini golf for opening one morning.

For anyone thinking of doing the same it was completely fine. We had no issues and I would definitely recommend saving the pennies on car hire for anyone.

We did a lot of park and resort hopping and would regularly go to at least 2 different parks/resorts a day. I knew which Disney resorts were near to all the Disney parks so I knew which buses I could get if there were no direct buses to where I wanted to go. For example to get from Blizzard Beach to Disney Springs we caught a bus to Saratoga Springs. The bus driver thought we were mad and told us it was a long walk. Other guests at Saratoga Springs told us to get the boat from there to Disney Springs. The reality was about a 10 minute walk/about a 15 minute stroll. The only time we came a bit of a cropper was when we were squeezing in fastpasses on FOP in between Typhoon Lagoon and dinner at Epcot. I thought that AKL was within walking distance to AK. After a wonder round the hotel (which was planned) I was really surprised to hear that you couldn't walk to AK and had to get a bus. That was the only time we had to change buses our entire trip.

And we also had no issues using Uber just with the free Disney wifi in case anyone was wondering.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We did the same last October left our car on arrival and for 2 weeks relied solely on Disney buses, boats and walking between Hollywood and Epcot once. We actually enjoyed not having to worry about driving and never had to wait for the next bus always managing to get on the first one that came along. At the end of our holiday we caught the Magic Bus back to the airport. That was the only time we were worried as the bus got caught up in an accident on the road system on the way to pick us up from our resort. Will do the same next time we stay on site especially now the overnight parking charges will affect us so it is definitely cheaper to Uber if we want to go off site.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

We have been to Disney about 8 times now. Never hired a car.

We actually think using Uber/Lyft and public transport saved a small fortune over car hire costs, especially now they are charging for resort parking.

It was far more relaxing knowing you had no stress or worry over driving and didnt cause any inconvenience.

I am surprised that a bus driver thought you were mad as its very common way to get to Springs.

Some people say queuing for the buses is a nightmare, but at the end of a long day in the parks, I have seen massive queues trying to get out of those car parks, and standing and watching seems far easier.

After being told how easy the Florida driving test is, Im glad to not drive there.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I'm starting to consider this for next year. We've always been offsite and often get a flydrive, but this year we're onsite an no flydrive.

There are 5 of us - first 5 nights at Hard Rock Hotel, next 9 nights at AKL.

And I'm wondering if I need it. It'd save a lot, and would also save the $25 daily parking fee at the resorts/parks.

I do love driving in the US though, so would definitely miss doing it.

We are going home from Tampa though, so would need to work something out there...
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Here now been using Disney transport for onsite locations and Lyft for offsite has been absolutely fine.
Collecting car on Thursday to venture further afield. May next year will do without the car as using Lyft will be more cost effective than paying onsite parking fee.
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We love not having a car. It’s like being looked after to us getting ferried about. We only get an Uber for a shopping day and to get to universal. 👍🏻

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SmurfDestroyer7
Trying for More Ears

Going for 10 days at end of Feb and just doing it with Disney transport, staying at CBR and will probably only use uber to get to Vineland Outlets
SmurfDestroyer7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
I'm starting to consider this for next year. We've always been offsite and often get a flydrive, but this year we're onsite an no flydrive.

There are 5 of us - first 5 nights at Hard Rock Hotel, next 9 nights at AKL.

And I'm wondering if I need it. It'd save a lot, and would also save the $25 daily parking fee at the resorts/parks.

I do love driving in the US though, so would definitely miss doing it.

We are going home from Tampa though, so would need to work something out there...
Just hire a car for the last couple of days pick up at Disney and drop at Tampa . Could just be 24 hours or maybe longer if you want to hit the outlets too.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

To give an alternative perspective, we did 2 days with no car and got tired of waiting on buses very quickly. Currently sat waiting 15 minutes for a bus to Epcot as we’re staying at the Dolphin for 2 nights and don’t want to pay for parking. Definitely hiring a car next year.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Just hire a car for the last couple of days pick up at Disney and drop at Tampa . Could just be 24 hours or maybe longer if you want to hit the outlets too.
Considering it for sure.

Only thing I'm not sure about is there are 5 of us, which means I don't think we'll all fit in a cab if we go anywhere.