Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Just back from West Coast doing a bit of a different trip to you and our flights MAN-LAX direct with Virgin were £600pp, we got those in January sales. That includes luggage and seat bookings - economy classic.

Our car, a standard SUV was £650 for 16 days. Think Minivan is a bit more usually but for your trip I wouldn't think you should need to pay much more than £1,000. Price up Fly Drives with Virgin and BA as these can give good deals (but do check the proper level of insurance is included with Virgin)

Back in 2013 we did SF-LA-Yosemite loop and did find SF accomodation was expensive. Our family of 6 stayed at Travelodge By Bay which was an good location but fairly basic. Fine if you are on a budget.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again look at airbnb for San Fran
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

:)

Thank you everyone for your advice it’s greatly appreciated

I’ve startedplanning and can’t decide whether to fly in out of lax and do a circular tour (la,san Diego, up to sf and Yosemite) or fly into sf and out of la. I really want to include Yosemite. Which do you think is better? My husband is also a bit worried that the roads will be a lot busy than driving in Orlando and he doesn’t want to spend a long time in traffic with 3 kids!

Any advice appreciated thank you
jacko7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Into San Fran and drive to Yosemite and then down the PCH.

Circular route if doing LA and San Diego Is just a complete compromise, really best if doing Las Vegas.

You won't need a car in San Fran so pick one up when leaving. You won't really it busy roads until you are in LA. If you have driven in Miami then it's not really much worse than there. The rest is more like Tampa and Orlando really.

This is why people do two locations in LA. It means most places are then within an hour's drive.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jacko7 View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice it’s greatly appreciated

I’ve startedplanning and can’t decide whether to fly in out of lax and do a circular tour (la,san Diego, up to sf and Yosemite) or fly into sf and out of la. I really want to include Yosemite. Which do you think is better? My husband is also a bit worried that the roads will be a lot busy than driving in Orlando and he doesn’t want to spend a long time in traffic with 3 kids!

There is no right or wrong way. On ours, we flew into San Francisco (where you do not need a car), drove down the standard route to LA (having to miss the best bit of PCH due to a mudslide, on round the back of LA and then on to beautiful San Diego. We then drove back up the coast and spent our last night on the Old RMS Queen Mary before a Hollywood tour from Santa Monica in the day and home in the evening. We did not do Yosemite as..
1. We only had 14 days at Easter.
2. weather and road conditions can be marginal at Easter.

You are welcome to read my trip report ‘California N to South at Easter.

You are welcome to spreadsheets for both that vacation and also the one we have planned for next Easter.

When pricing up, you will find that it is swings and roundabouts.
Flights are cheaper.
Hotels cost more
Theme park tickets will cost less (if you buy any at all).
Cars cost around the same.
Food costs more.

All in all, I certainly spent less on mine than I would on a Disney vacation with a full set of tickets. It was also (we all agree) , the best USA vacation yet, eclipsing this years East Coast and most certainly any we have had in Orlando/Greater Florida.
California is fantastic and great fun.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

we have done lots of different routes:

NY - SFO - Yosemite - Disney - San diego - dana point (beauty condo)
Boston - LA marina del rey - Vegas - mammoth - yosemite - san francisco
Orlando - yellowstone - Oxnard - LA (disney)

Best just to pick places you fancy as a family (check the driving times and distances and then come up with a route!)

After our 'one off' trip - California has soon become our go to place

Sam
Aug 2015 - West Coast road trip number 2
July 2017 - East & West Coast trip No 3
samhartwell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

Thanks everyone really appreciate all that advice... think we looking at flying into sf , Yosemite (if I can find affordable accommodation for 5 of us), then maybe Monterey down to la and San Diego and fly back from la. Planning on three weeks although the accommodation for five of us seems to be expensive but I’m still looking!
jacko7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jacko7 View Post
Thanks everyone really appreciate all that advice... think we looking at flying into sf , Yosemite (if I can find affordable accommodation for 5 of us), then maybe Monterey down to la and San Diego and fly back from la. Planning on three weeks although the accommodation for five of us seems to be expensive but I’m still looking!
We stayed at Cedar Lodge, El Portal, just outside Yosemite. Much cheaper, short drive, indoor and outdoor pool and a river across the road that you can swim in.

Our route was
Lax
Vegas
Mamoth Lakes
Yosemite
SF
Monterey
Santa Barbara
LA
Annaheim,
San Diego
Back to LAX.

Flights were much cheaper in and out of LAX.
lovinit is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Jabbag
Proud to wear my Ears

There's some good prices on KLM at the moment but it seems to be only from London City to SFO. £357 for three weeks in August without hold luggage or about £80 more with luggage. Last night LA was also showing for the same price so it could change again today.
Jabbag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

Thank you all for your help, I checked out the klm flights but they were a lot more expensive for Manchester so I will just keep checking prices.

Decided on a rough itinerary just wondered what everyone thinks... so thinking 3 weeks

Fly in San Francisco 4 nights ( already booked Columbus motor inn family suite for $1400 was struggling to find cheaper for room for 5)
Then I’ve booked Yosemite view lodge for 2nights.

Then thinking Monterrey or Carmel ( can’t decide on 2 or 3nights)
Possibly then Madonna inn? Maybe 2 nights
Maybe Santa Barbara 1/2 nights
Hollywood for universal ( not sure how many nights?
Anaheim for Disney (how long I’m not sure we wanted to go to six flags also)

Then lastly San Diego poss thinking 5 nights to chill before flying back from la.

I’m just not sure how many night stops to have on the drive down as would not like to rush it with 3 kids but also don’t want to run out of time in la/ Hollywood either. I’ve not yet booked flights and I’ve just booked the first two stays after advice on here about getting booked up but they are on cancellable rates so hopefully will fit in with flights .