Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

2 weeks - Anaheim based

Hi all,

We are thinking about a West Coast trip next year in late August for around 2 weeks. Our youngest has autism and really needs a single base for the trip, he finds moving around very stressful so a road trip is out of the questions.

So we are thinking of a base in Anaheim, probably a house rental near DL, we saw this company and it looks like what we would want.

Other than DL we want to go to some beaches, my eldest boy wants to go to some skate parks and it would be good to get to Universal/Warner Bros if possible.

Is this achievable? Or is two weeks in one place too long? We don't mind long day trips, just we need a base to return to every night.

Cheers,
Peter
prthomas is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

It can be done if the situation needs, but will limit you to LA really.

You will be looking at between 1-2 hours to reach some places on the north side of LA.

Would one change be too much? Maybe a week in Anaheim and a week north somewhere like Burbank.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I have been going to LA / California / Disneyland for the last 10 years
  1. Basing in Anaheim in not advisable, you need to do a split stay
  2. LA and the So Cal area is far too spread out for you to use Anaheim as a base. You are looking at 60 to 90 minutes drive between Disneyland and Hollywood Walk of Fame.
  3. Stay in Anaheim for Disneyland
  4. Stay in LA / Hollywood for things like Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studio Tour, Santa Monica beach and Pier, Griffith Observatory and museums
  5. I would advise AGAINST short term rentals in Anaheim. The city council has banned many of the short term rentals. I have heard many horror stories of people turning up to a short term rental and having no where to stay. There are many hotels and motels around Disneyland for all budget ranges, many are 15 minutes or less walking to Disneyland entrance
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to say that we will be 6 altogether and we can't share a single hotel room without wanting to kill each other after a day or so. So we need something bigger - hence the idea of a home rental.

Can anyone recommend any hotels or condos which would provide something suitable
?
prthomas is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We spent 5 nights in Anaheim last August. We had been advised it was too long but it was our 6th hotel and last stop so we didn't want to do short stays towards the end of our holiday. I did not enjoy Disney it was so so crowded much more crowded than Florida and hotter than Florida. We could walk to the parks and restaurants which was a bonus but otherwise I actually found Anaheim not great.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

There are a good few places which have suites in the Disneyland area, many within a 20 minutes walk to Disneyland. Open Google maps and check out everything on Harbor Boulevard and Katella Avenue.

For LA, you can look at AirBnB. I have stayed at 2 places, both which I would recommend, but they probally wont be big enough for you. For AirBnB this is my advice
  1. Superhost with multiple recent reviews
  2. Good communication with the host before and after booking
  3. A property which is specifically for AirBnB rentals, not the hosts actual home
  4. Research the areas, in LA a nice area may be 2 streets or 2 blocks from a very bad area
  5. Check about parking, as its a premium in LA and many properties dont have parking facilities
  6. Self checkin is advisable, that way you are not dependant on the host
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
We spent 5 nights in Anaheim last August. We had been advised it was too long but it was our 6th hotel and last stop so we didn't want to do short stays towards the end of our holiday. I did not enjoy Disney it was so so crowded much more crowded than Florida and hotter than Florida. We could walk to the parks and restaurants which was a bonus but otherwise I actually found Anaheim not great.
That's interesting. We spent 4 nights there this August (staying at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel) and found quite the opposite. We felt it much quieter than previous August trips to Florida and it was quite possible to have a largely unplanned day in the parks.

Maybe it was easier because there were only 2 of us, but we would have happily had a 5th night there.

I do agree that it might not be the best base for 2 weeks, though.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I have been going to LA / California / Disneyland for the last 10 years
  1. I would advise AGAINST short term rentals in Anaheim. The city council has banned many of the short term rentals. I have heard many horror stories of people turning up to a short term rental and having no where to stay. There are many hotels and motels around Disneyland for all budget ranges, many are 15 minutes or less walking to Disneyland entrance
It seems the properties we are considering are legitimate and have permits from Anaheim council, you can search the registered properties here. But thanks for the heads-up anyway and we will be wary.
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

Thanks for all the comments - so maybe we could do a few days nearby to Universal and then a longer stay in Anaheim. How easy is it to get to the beaches from Anaheim - any good ones nearby?
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by prthomas View Post
Thanks for all the comments - so maybe we could do a few days nearby to Universal and then a longer stay in Anaheim. How easy is it to get to the beaches from Anaheim - any good ones nearby?
Universal Studios Hollywood is really only a 2 day park, I usually do only 1 day.

There are 2 hotels beside it, Hilton Los Angles Universal City and Sheraton Universal Hotel.

Its also very easy to get to on public transport from the Hollywood area. There is a Red Line Underground Metro Train station and its about 20 minutes drive from Hollywood if you hire a car or use Uber / Lyft.

You have 2 options, stay in Hollywood area, where things like Hollywood Boulevard, museums, shopping malls, Griffith Observatory, studio tours are easy access and travel to Universal Studios

OR
Stay at Universal Studios and travel to Hollywood Boulevard, museums, shopping malls, Griffith Observatory, studio tours etc.

The nearest beaches to Disneyland are Huntington Beach and Newport Beach. Both of these are beach towns and depending on time of day and traffic, they would be about a 40 minute drive from Disneyland.