Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 1 Sep 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Universal Hotels Advice

Next summer, the main chunk of our stay will be in a villa but are thinking of spending 4 nights maximum at a Universal hotel prior to the villa stay.

Initial thoughts are either:
3 nights Cabana Bay
1 night Royal Pacific for folp

Or

2 nights Cabana Bay
2 nights Royal Pacific for Folp

We stayed at the Portofino before for 1 night and loved it so hoping we won’t be disappointed with Royal Pacific.

My questions are:
1) Do you think we’ll need the night/2 nights for FOLP if we get early entry in to the parks? Should we just book Cabana bay for 4 nights?

2) Which sites have you used to book? The dates are 21/7-25/7 so it’s peak summer dates.

3) What should I be expecting to pay? We paid £345 in 2016 for our one night stay at the Portofino but obviously the economy is not as good as it was then.

4) Is it better to book sooner, rather than later?

Thank you all so much for any help you can give.
X
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Grainne80
New Poster (5)

Mobile

Yesterday we booked a family room in Royal Pacific for one night to make use of the universal fast passes for next Easter so peak time as well. Was £480 for the room but then we converted our Tesco vouchers so got £120 off that
Grainne80 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thanks. My Tesco vouchers currently convert to virgin flying club miles which I have a total of 25,000 ish. Don’t know if I can use them at all?
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Definitely need at least one night to get FOLP. We paid £350 at RPR
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

We did one night at RPR to get express pass and with just two days we got all the rides done and did IOA twice as we went back for the evening. If you’re going early summer July/early August you will need express pass.

Because we had a 2 week pass, we went back to universal after 6pm as parking is free and managed to get most of the rides done again at Universal without express pass (this was 3rd week in August)
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

So I’m getting the vibe from the replies that I need folp.. what a shame😂

Virgin holidays have currently come back at £650 for 3 nights at Cabana Bay for Volcano Bay View room? (This will be prior to my Royal Pacific Stay for the FOLP). Does that seem like a good price?

I’m eager to book if it is but I’m basing my dates on it currently being cheaper to fly on a Tuesday. Maybe I need to just wait until my flights are booked! I’m so impatient!😬 Plus I don’t want prices to go up...🤔
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mouskevik
Imagineer

If you book 4 nights or more at a deluxe hotel, the price comes down. I booked 4 nights club level at HRH for not much more than your Cabana bay quote (per night, that is). Can you book that bit independently so Virgin don't get a cut?
Sandy Ridge/Miami/HRH - Aug 2019

Edited at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typos
mouskevik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouskevik View Post
If you book 4 nights or more at a deluxe hotel, the price comes down. I booked 4 nights club level at HRH for not much more than your Cabana bay quote (per night, that is). Can you book that bit independently so Virgin don't get a cut?
I thought that was the case and so I put 4 nights in at Royal Pacific and it came back at over £1400! 😬😬

Not planning on booking flights with Virgin unless their prices are cheap. I did a flydrive quote and it came back at over £6000 for 2a 2c for 3 weeks.

Depending on BA prices, I might consider booking a combined package with them as they seem more reasonable.
Old 1 Sep 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I think 1 night with 2 full days of express would be enough. Have you considered instead of cabana bay the double tree or holiday inn which are both just outside of Universal and within easy walking distance. They are half the price of cabana bay.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
I think 1 night with 2 full days of express would be enough. Have you considered instead of cabana bay the double tree or holiday inn which are both just outside of Universal and within easy walking distance. They are half the price of cabana bay.
I haven’t. Purely because I really fancy the look of Cabana Bay and you get early entry in to the parks. I’ll check them out though. Thanks for the suggestion. 👍🏻