Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 3 Sep 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

Ultimately it all depends on your perception of value. I wouldn't go off the comments in here that the parks are run down and the newer rides aren't that good. It's generally accepted that Universal have upped there game in the last few years. The Harry Potter lands are the best theming I have ever seen. Hagrid's, Escape from Gringotts and Forbidden journey are at the forefront of ride technology and are hugely enjoyable attractions. Kong, Revenge of the Mummy and Fast and Furious are amongst my favourite rides in Florida. Volcano Bay (for me anyway) is the best water park. I have been visiting Florida for 20 years and IMO Universal is rivalling Disney now more than it ever has been.
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Universal is worth it, especially if you squeeze in a deluxe hotel and get the express passes. We are doing one day so purchased the one day pass from the Universal USA website.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It’s a very interesting and difficult question and of course it comes down to how often you will enter the parks as well as how many of the attractions within that you really WANT to go on or see. On a very first (possibly only) visit, I believe that any park in Orlando is good value as you haven’t been there. The problem comes when you are visiting a park for the 10th, 20th or 30th time. For me there is a downward slope on the ‘value graph’ for every subsequent visit.

As an example, for us, DIsney at £390 or so for a 14 day is an utter waste of money as, other than the great water parks (for which I could in any case get an annual pass at the gate for $125), We would only want to see Star Wars and Pandora. The rest holds less than no interest at all.. and then there are the outrageous parking fees, even if on site.

Universal, on the other hand has loads that we like doing and therefore, the ticket is worthwhile as there are plenty of attractions we relish, plus we prefer Hogwarts to anything Disney, plus we really like Volcano Bay. ( I must admit that the newish price increases make this a decision now, rather than a certainty.. plus the one night in a Premium hotel.. plus the outrageous parking fees).

A Discovery Cove Ultimate non swim is way and away the value ticket and the only certainty for us on an Orlando leg (and it will only be a leg), vacation. £162pp this August bought the days food and drinks in DC, Seaworld (our no1 other park), Busch Gardens, Aquatica and of course, free parking.

In our 11 days in the area, we did Universal (2 half days ), Islands (2 half days and an evening) Volcano bay (1), Seaworld (4 half days) Busch (1) Aquatica (1) DC (1).

Our new issue is that we now only believe that one of the three franchises represents value to us, rather than 2 or even 3. We all agreed that our best days in the area were in any case, Rainbow River at Dunellon, Horse Riding at the Lazy H ranch and (a bit further away) Delnor Wiggins State Park in Naples plus an airboat ride with Native American Indians on the Tamiami causeway.

So back to the question.. for us, no .. it does not represent value, particularly with your stated plan.

As for us, with only 1 franchise inow regarded as a worthwhile investment, Orlando is thus no longer in play and we are looking elsewhere in the coming years (mainly still in the USA for now). As my signature indicates, we have seen an awful lot of Florida including pretty much the whole coast. The greed displayed by the money men (Disney and Universal directors) has driven us away. .. probably for good. I feel they are picking my pocket mercilessly from the time I approach one of the parks until the time I leave. I can get mugged easier in Lewisham whilst spending less money to get there. Even on subsequent California vacations, we have no intention of entering any theme parks.

From a sad, former Orlando vacationer x9 since 2005

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:26 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mandco View Post
We haven't been to universal for quite a few years and oh has said about possibly adding it to our trip next year but as we would probably only do each park once I'm not sure that its really worth the extra cost as the tickets are now so expensive.
Is there a cheaper way to do it than the standard 2/3 park ticket - we wouldn't do volcano bay
For me, yes Universal is worth it. The two parks are excellent with some great rides.

And, yes, there is a cheaper way of doing it than buying the UK 14-day tickets. You can buy 2-day tickets from the likes of OrlandoAttractions or UndercoverTourist. For example you can get a 2-day Base ticket from UndercoverTourist for $232 - which is about £195. Note that they are cheaper but not cheap. Still worth it though, IMO.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Last 2 times we haven't went near Disney, just do universal, SeaWorld, DC, and some excursions.
Kids love universal
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

thanks for the replies

As we haven't been for so long its hard to judge cost vs experience and as much as there are things I like to see/do there we are already doing disney and have dc booked which is why I personally didn't think it was worth the extra cost as we just won't have the time to do more than a couple of visits.

Maybe we'll have to look at doing a return trip and just do universal to make it worth while
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It’s a very interesting and difficult question and of course it comes down to how often you will enter the parks as well as how many of the attractions within that you really WANT to go on or see. On a very first (possibly only) visit, I believe that any park in Orlando is good value as you haven’t been there. The problem comes when you are visiting a park for the 10th, 20th or 30th time. For me there is a downward slope on the ‘value graph’ for every subsequent visit.

As an example, for us, DIsney at £390 or so for a 14 day is an utter waste of money as, other than the great water parks (for which I could in any case get an annual pass at the gate for $125), We would only want to see Star Wars and Pandora. The rest holds less than no interest at all.. and then there are the outrageous parking fees, even if on site.

Universal, on the other hand has loads that we like doing and therefore, the ticket is worthwhile as there are plenty of attractions we relish, plus we prefer Hogwarts to anything Disney, plus we really like Volcano Bay. ( I must admit that the newish price increases make this a decision now, rather than a certainty.. plus the one night in a Premium hotel.. plus the outrageous parking fees).

A Discovery Cove Ultimate non swim is way and away the value ticket and the only certainty for us on an Orlando leg (and it will only be a leg), vacation. £162pp this August bought the days food and drinks in DC, Seaworld (our no1 other park), Busch Gardens, Aquatica and of course, free parking.

In our 11 days in the area, we did Universal (2 half days ), Islands (2 half days and an evening) Volcano bay (1), Seaworld (4 half days) Busch (1) Aquatica (1) DC (1).

Our new issue is that we now only believe that one of the three franchises represents value to us, rather than 2 or even 3. We all agreed that our best days in the area were in any case, Rainbow River at Dunellon, Horse Riding at the Lazy H ranch and (a bit further away) Delnor Wiggins State Park in Naples plus an airboat ride with Native American Indians on the Tamiami causeway.

So back to the question.. for us, no .. it does not represent value, particularly with your stated plan.

As for us, with only 1 franchise inow regarded as a worthwhile investment, Orlando is thus no longer in play and we are looking elsewhere in the coming years (mainly still in the USA for now). As my signature indicates, we have seen an awful lot of Florida including pretty much the whole coast. The greed displayed by the money men (Disney and Universal directors) has driven us away. .. probably for good. I feel they are picking my pocket mercilessly from the time I approach one of the parks until the time I leave. I can get mugged easier in Lewisham whilst spending less money to get there. Even on subsequent California vacations, we have no intention of entering any theme parks.

From a sad, former Orlando vacationer x9 since 2005
this sounds like us - totally gutted but our love affair with Orlando ended this visit .We spent nearly £2200 on tickets this year -universal, discovery cove non swim with the other three parks and MNSSHP party. We didnt get our moneys worth at all , we spent 1 day and 1 evening at universal , 1/2 day at seaworld and aquatica , a full day at volcano bay , around 4 1/2 hours at MNSSHP party and obviously discovery cove. Of course that was our choice not to visit more but it just didnt feel like it used to , it was too busy , car park prices were awful , food inside the parks (especially Disney) were not great value so we had no real desire to revisit the parks more than we did. Now I am home and think about it that £2200 could have paid for another holiday elsewhere for us and so Orlando will no longer be in our plans for some considerable time. We enjoyed parts of it but our best day was discovery cove and the pool days in the villa and I am not travelling all the way to Orlando to sit by a pool - rather take a short flight to Europe where I can be guaranteed a bit more sunshine.

Edited at 10:58 AM.
JLH is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
this sounds like us - totally gutted but our love affair with Orlando ended this visit .We spent nearly £2200 on tickets this year -universal, discovery cove non swim with the other three parks and MNSSHP party. We didnt get our moneys worth at all , we spent 1 day and 1 evening at universal , 1/2 day at seaworld and aquatica , a full day at volcano bay , around 4 1/2 hours at MNSSHP party and obviously discovery cove. Of course that was our choice not to visit more but it just didnt feel like it used to , it was too busy , car park prices were awful , food inside the parks (especially Disney) were not great value so we had no real desire to revisit the parks more than we did. Now I am home and think about it that £2200 could have paid for another holiday elsewhere for us and so Orlando will no longer be in our plans for some considerable time. We enjoyed parts of it but our best day was discovery cove and the pool days in the villa and I am not travelling all the way to Orlando to sit by a pool - rather take a short flight to Europe where I can be guaranteed a bit more sunshine.
I am saddened to read this. As our love of Orlando has dwindled, our enjoyment of the rest of the USA has increased.

Perhaps fresh fields such as a West Coast Trip might be the answer? We visited California in 2018 and it was our best USA vacation ever. .. other than we found the Theme Parks a bit of a let down.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am saddened to read this. As our love of Orlando has dwindled, our enjoyment of the rest of the USA has increased.

Perhaps fresh fields such as a West Coast Trip might be the answer? We visited California in 2018 and it was our best USA vacation ever. .. other than we found the Theme Parks a bit of a let down.
I may look into other parts , I do have a sister that lives in Boston so I will go back to USA - I used to combine trips to see her with a visit to Florida so could just tag another place onto Boston . I was booked for California a couple of years back but had to cancel so maybe I should relook .
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are just back from ..

A flight to Boston, A train to NY, a plane to Dayton OH, A drive down to Cincinatti, A flight to MCO, a drive to Miami via Naples and then a flight home.

Other than the normal theme parks (Discovery Cove was great), We had a brilliant time. There is so much to do in the wider USA and as you already know, travel is both cheap and easy to arrange. That is our future for the next few years.

Edited at 11:34 AM.