Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Sep 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Please critique my West Coast itinerary!

Hi, we've finally bitten the bullet and booked flights for our West Coast trip 2020! We're West Coast virgins but it's something we've always wanted to do. There's me, DH and our daughter who will be 11 when we travel. We are flying MAN to SFR on 21st August and LAX to MAN on 5th September. I have put together a rough itinerary but would really appreciate some constructive criticism if possible:

3 nights San Francisco
2 nights Monterey
Drive down the PCH to Hollywood then:
5 nights Hollywood to do Universal Studios, Six Flags, the Warner Brothers Studio tour, day trip to Santa Monica and all the other usual Hollywood sights
5 nights Anaheim to do Disneyland/DCA, Knotts Berry Farm and some chill time at the hotel pool (and any recommendations for local shopping for my daughter!)

I know we have a lot of theme park days but we are theme park junkies and LOVE Disney so want plenty of time to do Disneyland at our leisure.

Is 2 nights in Monterey too much? Should we sacrifice a night there for one in Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara, and if so which one? Have I missed anything that we must do?

I'm keen to start booking some hotels so any advice or constructive criticism much appreciated, thank you!
flossdaisy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'd give up a night in Hollywood for Santa Barbara. Definately 2 nights in Monterey

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for us you have far to much time in LA/annahiem area.
Monterey for us is fantastic , are you planning to go whale watching. This was the highlight of our last 2 trips.
When leaving Monterey I think you need a stop somewhere on the way down, perhaps Santa Barbara.
Santa Cruz and Monterey are quite close so no benefit .san Fran to Monterey is about 2 hours .have you given yourself enough time in San Fran , you will only have 2 full days, and there is loads to do.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Monterrey to Hollywood is a long drive, as you plan to be going to Six Flags, you will be driving right past it and there are a couple of hotels on the same junction of the interstate. Maybe consider stopping there.

2 nights in Monterrey would be more than enough for us, so that is about right if you want to do some of the additional activities there and then get an early start down to LA.

You can easily do Warner Bros and Hollywood sights in a day at a fairly relaxed pace. Include Beverly Hills etc into your drive to Santa Monica as well.

So you could do Santa Barbara and get an earlyish start to get across to Six Flags which from memory doesn't open that early (10:30 IIRC).
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
I'd give up a night in Hollywood for Santa Barbara. Definately 2 nights in Monterey
Thank you. What are the main things to see and do in Santa Barbara?
flossdaisy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi for us you have far to much time in LA/annahiem area.
Monterey for us is fantastic , are you planning to go whale watching. This was the highlight of our last 2 trips.
When leaving Monterey I think you need a stop somewhere on the way down, perhaps Santa Barbara.
Santa Cruz and Monterey are quite close so no benefit .san Fran to Monterey is about 2 hours .have you given yourself enough time in San Fran , you will only have 2 full days, and there is loads to do.
So would you recommend an extra night in San Fran? We definitely want to go whale watching and to the aquarium in Monterey but what else should we do there? My thinking having 5 nights in Anaheim is 2 days at Disney, one day at Knotts Berry Farm, one day Santa Monica and a chill/shopping day. Thanks for your help!

Edited at 06:52 PM.
Old 4 Sep 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The drive from Monterey to Hollywood is extremely long and the northern part, spectacularly beautiful.

I would break at half way in Pismo beach, or our favourite Hotel in the USA, The Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo. In this way, you can take in some of Big Sur, Bixby Bridge, Pfeiffer State Park, Hearst Castle, Elephant Seals at San Simeon as you travel down..

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:02 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The drive from Monterey to Hollywood is extremely long and the northern part, spectacularly beautiful.

I would break at half way in Pismo beach, or our favourite Hotel in the USA, The Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo. In this way, you can take in some of Big Sur, Bixby Bridge, Pfeiffer State Park, Hearst Castle, Elephant Seals at San Simeon as you travel down..
That sounds like a great idea, thank you!
Old 4 Sep 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again for Monterey you will arrive say afternoon. You could do aquarium then but we would advise an early entry as it does get very busy and there is lots to see. We did an early whale watching cruise with sanctuary cruises ( 4 hours ) which goes from moss landing 15 min dr on the north side, this gives quicker time to main whale watching area. So what else to see , spend some time in Carmel and around 17 mile drive, the coast there is spectacular. If anyone in the party is into there sport then lunch or tea at pebble beech is well worth a stop. You can also go paddle boarding or canoeing in groups . In the area lots of nice restaurants bars, Monterey,pacific grove,Carmel .
Enjoy the planning

Edited at 07:37 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
flossdaisy
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again for Monterey you will arrive say afternoon. You could do aquarium then but we would advise an early entry as it does get very busy and there is lots to see. We did an early whale watching cruise with sanctuary cruises which goes from moss landing 15 min dr on the north side, this gives quicker time to main whale watching area. So what else to see , spend some time in Carmel and around 17 mile drive, the coast there is spectacular. If anyone in the party is into there sport then lunch or tea at pebble beech is well worth a stop
Thank you, I’ll have a read up on these places now x