Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I am still with my Pixel 2 XL which won me a photo competition a few months back. It still performs generally brilliantly with no slow down and I still get all the latest Android updates first and unlimited cloud storage for photos and videos at full resolution. None of this Apple nonsense of having to buy iCloud space.
Only thing really worth buying now Apple are iPads. The processors in them are phenomenal and as tablets they are pretty well priced. Editing 4K 60fps on LumaFusion on an iPad is great. The phones have very fast processors in them also, but I find no requirement to have that speed in a phone.
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I am still with my Pixel 2 XL which won me a photo competition a few months back. It still performs generally brilliantly with no slow down and I still get all the latest Android updates first and unlimited cloud storage for photos and videos at full resolution. None of this Apple nonsense of having to buy iCloud space.
Only thing really worth buying now Apple are iPads. The processors in them are phenomenal and as tablets they are pretty well priced. Editing 4K 60fps on LumaFusion on an iPad is great. The phones have very fast processors in them also, but I find no requirement to have that speed in a phone.
Fair point and that is a phone I wouldn’t discount. If I were to switch to Android I’d certainly consider the pixel range. My first smartphone was the google G1 and loved it.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
IPhones can download and use the Google Photos and Google Drive apps, just like Android devices. You don’t have to pay Apple for iCloud storage.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
IPhones can download and use the Google Photos and Google Drive apps, just like Android devices. You don’t have to pay Apple for iCloud storage.
I use google photos on my iPhone and it’s brilliant. Must try and learn about google drive.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Correct, but you don't get the unlimited full image storage that you get with the Pixel phones. That I believe was the point being made.

You get a limited amount of storage free, as with iCloud. This applies to non Pixel Android phones as well as iPhones.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Google photos will give unlimited photo storage at a reduced size. The size is big enough for most purposes and a very acceptable free backup option.

Google Photos gives users free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’ve just picked up my 11. It was a pretty painless process in the Apple Store. I’ve never upgraded to a new model before but it was cheaper than my 8 plus and I get a
Similiar size screen in a smaller phone so it seemed
a no brainer to me.

Not sure about no home button but no doubt I will get the hang of it.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’ve just picked up my 11. It was a pretty painless process in the Apple Store. I’ve never upgraded to a new model before but it was cheaper than my 8 plus and I get a
a no brainer to me.

It's much better without the home button, couple of days and you'll get used to it👍
Old 21 Sep 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dogken View Post
It's much better without the home button, couple of days and you'll get used to it👍
I agree without the home button using the phone seems much more intuitive.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
a no brainer to me.

I preordered my 11pro max with 3.
It’s been delayed 48 hours so far 🙄

Not had a home button on my iPhones for a while now. I can’t get used to using one with a home button now. Find it much easier without. Don’t take long to get used to.

Lee: QIP 1990; Fantasy world villas 1992; QIP 1996
Lee & Kerri: QIP 2008; QIP/AKL 2009; POR 2010; QIP/SSR 2011
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List