Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bouncing Tigger View Post
Our dog collapsed for the first time the day after we picked her up, even though we had signed papers, if the insurance hadn’t paid out we certainly weren’t going to, we’d have taken the bill and got the rescue centre to pay. My DH was fuming with the rescue centre, they’d checked us enough, why not the poor dog. If you do get a vet to check her out, take her to an independent vet. Our own vet rolled his eyes when he found what theirs hadn’t done.
That's awful. It must have been a horrific time for you all xx
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tre85 View Post
Good luck with the meet up.

Ref insurance whoever you choose to go with make sure it is a 'lifetime' cover! They tend to be a bit more expensive but we've learnt the hard way when we thought we had lifetime but it wasn't and our westie has ongoing skin problems which the insurance will not cover now.
Thank you. For an extra few pounds, I think it will be worth it x
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I did breed rescue for years and heard all sorts of reasons why the dog must go
So mine are
House trained / word to go iecours are be clever and bed time last pee
Cage trained or not how long can be left or not chewing
Control on off lead basic commands used
Feeding what food possessive / water possevive / tin bit training orientated / toy possive
On / off lead pulls walks to heel recall though idcrecommend several weeks on a flexi lead with a new rescue for recall
How are they in traffic if you live in town nothing worse than a dog bolting on the lead when you are doing the school walk because a bus or lorry whizzed by even a kid cycling to work or in the park or a mum walking with a buggy
Has thecdog been allowed on the sofa upstairs on the beds
What they are like in the car at the vets
Have they ever been in kennels
Rescue dogs are amazing I've rehomed some amazing dogs in to amazing homes
We had a fantastic 14 stone massive Rottweiler rescue Bruno who was 3 when he came in to our home with 3 entire male dogs a boss girl
And he was a complete teddy bear only vice if he got in the passenger seat of the car he seemed to double in weight and you couldn't shift him till he had a car trip
DS3 has a fantastic rescue staffie who was so badly abused when they got her the vet didn't give her the night she's amazing only issue she's
A Madame for drinking out puddles and picking up tossed kebabas on an early Sunday morning walk as she was so thirsty and starved when they got her
Our only other issue with Bruno he wouldn't walk on a lead but never left your side if we were out for a walk he stuck like glue to your leg
Thank you for all your advice.
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by SunbreezeFL View Post
We've always had rescue dogs and never ever for a moment had any regrets. our latest dog had some issues (skin related) that the home made us aware of and we could only adopt him if they could cover the skin issue if it were to cause him problems (we also had to go to an adoption meeting telling you how to introduce him to your home - we got him home and he has never had an issue since (3 years on) so we are assuming it was kennel stress. He and all of our other dogs have been an absolute joy and a very important family member (he's helped me through some quite challenging times) I'd never hesitate in taking on another when the time comes.
Thank you. She has a little bald part on her nose that they said was damaged when she was trying to get out the crate. The fur seems to be growing back but I will question this further.
Old 15 Sep 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

😊😊🐶🐶
2 hours until we go meet her properly!
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Good luck, we have two rescue dogs and they are fantastic
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Re the insurance, check exactly what life cover means. Some have a limit even though it’s life cover. Others (like ours) have life cover with a limit that resets each year and the gold standard is continued life cover with no limit.
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

We’ve had two rescues, both Spanish. We lost the first after two years as he had Leishmaniasis despite having been tested negative for it. The rescue hadn’t advised us that it could be dormant for up to seven years and we are still upset about that. We had already got our second so we got her tested immediately and again after a year. She’s still clear but we will continue to have her tested annually. If you rescue a foreign dog, you need to be aware of it as the tests can be quite expensive and insurance won’t cover them.
Old 15 Sep 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
We’ve had two rescues, both Spanish. We lost the first after two years as he had Leishmaniasis despite having been tested negative for it. The rescue hadn’t advised us that it could be dormant for up to seven years and we are still upset about that. We had already got our second so we got her tested immediately and again after a year. She’s still clear but we will continue to have her tested annually. If you rescue a foreign dog, you need to be aware of it as the tests can be quite expensive and insurance won’t cover them.
Thank you.
Old 15 Sep 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

So we have been to walk her, and unfortunately she is not the right dog for us.
She needs a bit of training which we would be happy to do ( lots if lead pulling, biting the lead) , however just as we were chatting to the volunteer at the end, she became very excitable, jumping right on us all and got my hubbys hand. Not a bite per se but was pretty sore. It was probably because she was excited. What really made me uncomfortable was the reaction of therehoming volunteer. She was really off with us when I mentioned it made me a little wary. It just didn't feel right.
Also when I asked about ticks, the volunteer said she probably had been checked as she had had all her checks etc