Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Hmmm, not good and such a shame, onwards and upwards, we always find it takes a few false starts before we find the right recue doggy. Have you any other rescue places around? I google forever by putting in different words to find centres, some are quite hard to find unless you know of them. Sometimes fb have pages too. Good luck.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bouncing Tigger View Post
Hmmm, not good and such a shame, onwards and upwards, we always find it takes a few false starts before we find the right recue doggy. Have you any other rescue places around? I google forever by putting in different words to find centres, some are quite hard to find unless you know of them. Sometimes fb have pages too. Good luck.
There are another couple near us. Just about to suggest a trip into Edinburgh to one. Thank you
I'm feeling rather deflated the now.
Old 15 Sep 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
goofysgirl
Excited about Disney

Hi Rachel - sorry it didn't go as planned, but best you get the right dog for your family.

Just a couple of other things - check with insurance as some cover behavourial issues as well - which can be a thing with rescue dogs. Also check what back up there is with the rescue centre for you - i.e. will they help you if you need it after you have the dog. Mine didn't unfortunately and I was left to it - and I hired a behavourist (not a trainer) but they are not cheap and unregulated.

If you can, check out some FB rescues - they do amazing work and have the most wonderful dogs - all ages, sizes, etc - and the good ones work with you to get the best fit for for your family and lifestyle.

Good luck - exciting times :-)
goofysgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by goofysgirl View Post
Hi Rachel - sorry it didn't go as planned, but best you get the right dog for your family.

Just a couple of other things - check with insurance as some cover behavourial issues as well - which can be a thing with rescue dogs. Also check what back up there is with the rescue centre for you - i.e. will they help you if you need it after you have the dog. Mine didn't unfortunately and I was left to it - and I hired a behavourist (not a trainer) but they are not cheap and unregulated.

If you can, check out some FB rescues - they do amazing work and have the most wonderful dogs - all ages, sizes, etc - and the good ones work with you to get the best fit for for your family and lifestyle.

Good luck - exciting times :-)
Thank you. I've just found a few Facebook pages xx
Old 15 Sep 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I'll get shot down for this no doubt but don't go to a rescue just because you feel it's to Noble thing to do. With a rescue you are inheriting a dog's worst behaviours, their greatest fears and personality traits without a clue of what they are. Rescues are set up to re-home dogs, it's how they keep in business and despite how transparent they appear before you take the dog their aftercare will be a different story. I had alwful problems with RSPCA when I rescued my first springer as they washed their hands of him the moment we walked out of the doors (wouldn't even help get him in the car let alone help with behavioural issues in the first week). My neighbour was recently looking to re-home a Romanian pup and only when they asked the question "do what do we do if the dog is incompatible with our year old daughter" the rescue became very funny about any potential return despite a trail of emails to the contrary.

If your heart is set on a dog my advice, get a pup, they are no more hard work than a rescue, come with no baggage and watching them grow and develop with your family is just like watching one of your children. Just make sure the bread is right for you and you buy from a reputable breeder and not someone who has sought to make a few quid out of their bitch
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
I'll get shot down for this no doubt but don't go to a rescue just because you feel it's to Noble thing to do. With a rescue you are inheriting a dog's worst behaviours, their greatest fears and personality traits without a clue of what they are. Rescues are set up to re-home dogs, it's how they keep in business and despite how transparent they appear before you take the dog their aftercare will be a different story. I had alwful problems with RSPCA when I rescued my first springer as they washed their hands of him the moment we walked out of the doors (wouldn't even help get him in the car let alone help with behavioural issues in the first week). My neighbour was recently looking to re-home a Romanian pup and only when they asked the question "do what do we do if the dog is incompatible with our year old daughter" the rescue became very funny about any potential return despite a trail of emails to the contrary.

If your heart is set on a dog my advice, get a pup, they are no more hard work than a rescue, come with no baggage and watching them grow and develop with your family is just like watching one of your children. Just make sure the bread is right for you and you buy from a reputable breeder and not someone who has sought to make a few quid out of their bitch
Thanks for replying. I understand what you're saying.
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Poor mite I hope she gets a good home.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Thanks for replying. I understand what you're saying.
No problems. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. I'm no expert but went through a lot with my springer and cocker
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Poor mite I hope she gets a good home.
I'm sure she will. Its a shame she wadmt for us. And TBH, I was uncomfortable with a few things the volunteers said.
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
No problems. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. I'm no expert but went through a lot with my springer and cocker
Thank you. I might do that.
One question, if we were to go for a puppy, I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions?