Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I sold mine immediately after the wedding- I'm not really sentimental about objects although I did keep my veil. I knew if I dithered and waited to sell it it wouldn't be worth anything as styles change so quickly. I paid £1200 for it and the 2nd hand dress shop sold it for £700 of which I got £450. It was still in the designer's current collection which is why it sold so well. Ebay etc you only get peanuts for selling dresses and Preloved sites there's sooo many time wasters/scammers. I was lucky to have a shop near me that sells them on your behalf in a bridal salon environment.

Anyway as yours is older now I was going to suggest the angel babies dresses but someone else already did. The other option is Oxfam as they do a huge line in wedding dresses. You never know what kind of vintage styles people are looking for.

Edited at 11:22 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum still has her wedding dress up in her loft so when I got married I just presumed that was the done thing. I had mine cleaned and folded into a storage box and it's been under our spare bed ever since. I'll never fit into it again but I think it's nice that our nieces (and possibly daughters) will be able to see it in years to come. I've opened the box a few times to have a look and couldn't imagine selling it or giving it away.

There are some fabulous display frames available but we certainly haven't got the space for one.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

I have still have mine although it is over 50yrs old. Every bit was handstitched by my mother including the 30 hand covered buttons down the back and the 10 buttons on each sleeve. The 5ft incorporated train hung just perfectly. She always maintained the back of a wedding dress was the most important view as it was what people saw most! I just can't part with it.
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

I arrived home from my honeymoon and was very surprised when I arrived at my parents house to collect my dress and veil only to be told here is the money for your dress - you won't wear it so I (being her without even discussing it with me) have sold it and with that she handed over what she said (but who knows if that is true) sold it for. Needless to say I was furious and have never forgiven her for taking any decision out of my hands.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

I kept mine and DH s suit, when we celebrated our silver wedding I hung them up for people to see.
My mum also had kept her dress so that was hung up too. After 25 years fashion had changed so much.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My wedding dress is 14 years old. I'm keeping it as I made it, at my parents house and my mum helped out with it. So my dress means a lot. My sister brought hers, was less attached to it and gifted it to a friend for her own wedding. I suppose what I'm getting at is if you have any emotional attachment then keep it (vac pack) if not let someone else enjoy it on their big day
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
I have still have mine although it is over 50yrs old. Every bit was handstitched by my mother including the 30 hand covered buttons down the back and the 10 buttons on each sleeve. The 5ft incorporated train hung just perfectly. She always maintained the back of a wedding dress was the most important view as it was what people saw most! I just can't part with it.
Ahh that sounds so lovely no way I could part with that.
Old 16 Sep 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Ahh that sounds so lovely no way I could part with that.
Thankyou, she was an amazing needlewoman.
Old 16 Sep 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
I am sorry for the loss of your DM. If I was inheriting my mum’s dress, I don’t think I could part with that. It was made into a Christening frock, which will be kept. But it was easier to part with mine. As you say, you have photos of two generations in your dress. When an ex colleague lost her mum, she switched out all her kitchen implements for her mums ( spatula, wooden spoons etc), you will keep the stuff that holds meaning for you and happy memories and photos of the rest. Wish you well with it. Xx
Aww thank you, I have definitely added some sentimental items that I can use and look at regularly. It is strange as these things mean more to me than the dress. My sisters think I have been harsh with some of the things of my own I have decided to part with. I have decided to keep my old school reports and am putting them onto a digital format. I feel like I want my children to know me and what sort of child I was rather than leaving them with loads of my things.

Originally Posted by MrsNobby View Post
My dress was made for me by my bridesmaid and then I had mine made in to a Christening Gown and bonnet. All three of my kids wore it and I had their names and date of birth embroidered on the hem in pink for my daughter and blue for my sons. The boys didnt wear the bonnet and its now hanging in the spare wardrobe.
That is a lovely idea what a great way to save your dress

Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
My mum in law used parts of it to make Christening dresses for my daughter’s and my Niece dress
I love this idea hopefully others reading who haven't got older children may be able to do this and not have as much guilt about getting rid of it.

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
My wedding dress is boxed up and I would not dream of getting rid of it and I don’t feel the need to do anything with it either. I very occasionally take it out and have a look, I am supposed to take it out and re-fold from time to time anyway.
That is lovely, I think if I had the space to keep it where I could access it it I may not consider getting rid of it

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I sold mine immediately after the wedding- I'm not really sentimental about objects although I did keep my veil. I knew if I dithered and waited to sell it it wouldn't be worth anything as styles change so quickly. I paid £1200 for it and the 2nd hand dress shop sold it for £700 of which I got £450. It was still in the designer's current collection which is why it sold so well. Ebay etc you only get peanuts for selling dresses and Preloved sites there's sooo many time wasters/scammers. I was lucky to have a shop near me that sells them on your behalf in a bridal salon environment.

Anyway as yours is older now I was going to suggest the angel babies dresses but someone else already did. The other option is Oxfam as they do a huge line in wedding dresses. You never know what kind of vintage styles people are looking for.
Fortunately it wasn't massively expensive so I'm not concerned about the loss of value. I think that the angel babies is a lovely idea and am looking into the options

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
My mum still has her wedding dress up in her loft so when I got married I just presumed that was the done thing. I had mine cleaned and folded into a storage box and it's been under our spare bed ever since. I'll never fit into it again but I think it's nice that our nieces (and possibly daughters) will be able to see it in years to come. I've opened the box a few times to have a look and couldn't imagine selling it or giving it away.

There are some fabulous display frames available but we certainly haven't got the space for one.
Wow that must be one large frame Maybe I could see if I could fit it under one of the kids beds (we all have ottoman storage beds)

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Oh wow sounds amazing ... there must be so much sentimental attachment to that I wouldn't be able to get rid of it

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
I arrived home from my honeymoon and was very surprised when I arrived at my parents house to collect my dress and veil only to be told here is the money for your dress - you won't wear it so I (being her without even discussing it with me) have sold it and with that she handed over what she said (but who knows if that is true) sold it for. Needless to say I was furious and have never forgiven her for taking any decision out of my hands.
I would be so mad as well not sure why anyone would make that decision on your behalf.

Originally Posted by llamala View Post
I kept mine and DH s suit, when we celebrated our silver wedding I hung them up for people to see.
My mum also had kept her dress so that was hung up too. After 25 years fashion had changed so much.
Awww that sounds lovely. My DH still has his suit and earlier in the year I was horrified that he suggested getting rid lol now I'm just numb to the emotion of it all

Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
My wedding dress is 14 years old. I'm keeping it as I made it, at my parents house and my mum helped out with it. So my dress means a lot. My sister brought hers, was less attached to it and gifted it to a friend for her own wedding. I suppose what I'm getting at is if you have any emotional attachment then keep it (vac pack) if not let someone else enjoy it on their big day
A handmade one is something I couldn't get rid of so there isn't any added sentimental value in that sense.

Thanks everybody although I am extremely confused

I probably should add that actually in some ways it makes me sad to look a my dress as we got married quickly so my dad could be there and unfortunately he was extremely poorly looking on the day. He passed a few months later. It is weird analysing all these feelings I am having at the moment.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
My wedding dress is boxed up and I would not dream of getting rid of it and I don’t feel the need to do anything with it either. I very occasionally take it out and have a look, I am supposed to take it out and re-fold from time to time anyway.
I can’t part with mine either. I had mine made for me so I feel quite attached to it actually.

I even put it on the other day! 😆
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List