Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Aug 22, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStu
New Poster (5)

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PS

All hire cars, unless you're hired something specific like a Mustang, will only ever say "similar to ... " - pot luck on the day I'm afraid.

Mick

PS welcome to the DIBB
Thank you so much or the concise replies. I find it difficult to get exact answers, but you seem to have covered all bases there! :-D
DisneyStu is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyStu View Post
Thank you so much or the concise replies. I find it difficult to get exact answers, but you seem to have covered all bases there! :-D
In 40 trips we've never stayed a single night in a WDW hotel nor have we been to a park since 2010 so you'll never see me on those threads.

I have hired a car every time though and driven a bit.

Mick
Old 4 Aug 22, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStu
New Poster (5)

I am really excited to drive over there to be honest. I have been looking at maps, and street view, and some of the road down to the keys looks stunning! A big difference from Northumberland!
DisneyStu is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyStu View Post
I am really excited to drive over there to be honest. I have been looking at maps, and street view, and some of the road down to the keys looks stunning! A big difference from Northumberland!
To mention this again (I always apologise as I've edited it and added over the years and it looks like self-promotion ) but there is an excellent driving guide here on the DIBB.

I'll link it if you like.

The road to Key West is lovely especially the seven mile bridge.

Mick
Old 4 Aug 22, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Hi,

I booked my car through Virgin Holidays. Does anyone know whether I need to return it with a full tank of petrol?

It was full when I collected it but wasn't sure whether that was included or not and can't find anything in the documents to confirm either way.

Thanks 👍
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Steve Florida View Post
Hi,

I booked my car through Virgin Holidays. Does anyone know whether I need to return it with a full tank of petrol?

It was full when I collected it but wasn't sure whether that was included or not and can't find anything in the documents to confirm either way.

Thanks 👍
The default for every hire car in Florida (whoever you rent from) is take out full and return full.

However you can pre-pay with the broker i.e. VH to return empty or you can add fuel service at the barrier.

You might pay up to $10 more to return empty (slightly higher rate and airport taxes on top) but it saves you driving round looking for a gas station on your way back to the airport.

We always pre-pay because I don't lose much sleep if I've left a cupful of gas in the tank.

Mick

PS Just seen your writing in the past tense - you need to return it full unless you added fuel when you booked - only you can confirm that

Edited at 03:07 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Frenchie
New Poster (2)

Hi Folks, I have a question. I have a reservation made directly to Alamo on their Website with the Skip the Counter option. I've got the STC barcode which means that I can proceed directly to the parking lot and chooze the car I want and then drive to the Alamo to finalize and then Go.

My question is the following, since National and Alamo are sister companies and share the same fleet, If the Alamo proposed collection for Full Size SUV does not correspond to what I expected do you think it would be possible to just go to the National car park, pick a Full size SUV from their collection and then drive to the Alamo gate to register it under my reservation ? My question could seem weird, but it is just in case it is possible it would offer a larger range of car collection to Client. Thanks to share your experience if it is possible. Cheers
Frenchie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 03:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Abbey36
VIP Dibber

Abbey36's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Avis preferred Miami through DFCH

So landed late at Miami booked Mustang Convertible Avis via Andy at DFCH, registered with Avis Preferred & sent them a DM on Twitter to link the booking, name was on the board. First 2 cars engine oil lights on 3rd car lots of scuffs but so tired at this point, took some photos went back to desk they signed our paperwork to confirm damage & off we went! No hard sell not as bad as I feared as first time with Avis usually go with Alamo.

Cumbrian Lakes Villa 2 weeks March 2011

Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks April 2017

Hard Rock Hotel/Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks August 2019

Royal Pacific/Sunset Lakes 4 weeks August 2022
Abbey36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc2
Getting to know the DIBB

Just seeing the post about Sixt and "opp, your booking doesn't have CDW, pay up now" thread.

Thought I would check my Alamo booking.

I have a Alamo rental booking. It says

Damage Waiver Included
Extended Protection Included
Fuel Service Option Included
Additional Driver (x3) Included
This with a third party excess insurance make the rental comprehensively insured (with no excess liability other than maybe needing to reclaim it), correct?
Manc2 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 22, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
edu_afp
Serious Dibber

edu_afp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Manc2 View Post
Just seeing the post about Sixt and "opp, your booking doesn't have CDW, pay up now" thread.

Thought I would check my Alamo booking.

I have a Alamo rental booking. It says

This with a third party excess insurance make the rental comprehensively insured (with no excess liability other than maybe needing to reclaim it), correct?
I don’t believe you need a third party excess insurance, you have Extended Protection in your Alamo booking, find below an explanatory link from Alamo’s website.
alamo/en/customer-su...rotection.html

In the future to get faster responses create a new thread, this one hasn’t much traffic.

Have a good holiday!

Back with my DS May 2023
edu_afp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List