Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

Highs and Lows (29th August to 12th September)

Highs & Lows

Three nights Cabana Bay, 11 nights POFQ

Highs - Returning to Port Orleans French Quarter after 10 years (stayed in the All Stars Resorts in-between) just love this resort.

After bombarding hubby with lots of videos & photos (thanks to EE roam further which worked perfectly) he's said he's coming next time.

First stay at Cabana Bay, loved it. Enjoyed walking to the park from here.

British Airways WTplus on onward journey 14 people and 1 baby in a 52 seat cabin, bliss. Our steward was amazing, such a relaxing flight.

Low queues due to Dorian, meant everything was achieved quickly, so more time for relaxing.

We hired a car for the first time for 3 days during our stay. My Son got the black Mustang that he wanted. The lady in car hire said she'd disappointed people all morning with "Camaro's". We had a choice of black or silver. This was picked up at Disney Car Centre. All organised with Andy at DFCH, which he kindly rearranged for us at short notice due to the impending hurricane. Picked up car three days later than planned. Freedom of the road for a few days was great and son enjoyed the driving experience. Hotel gave us a complimentary taxi to pick the car up as Alamo didn't answer the phone to arrange a shuttle.

Had an additional 3 nights added to our holiday due to BA strike, we were due to fly home on the first strike day. I easily arranged this with expedia to keep within the BA limit of £200 per night. This booking was linked to my original in resort and we kept the same room.

Had disney dining plan for the first time. Perfect.

The crazy lady server in Via Napoli, so random it was very amusing.

Off site restaurants Texas Roadhouse and Manny's. amazing value compared to Disney.

Target shopping, my favourite, with a cheeky Starbucks thrown in.

Finally got to visit Ihop (twin) it lived up to expectation. Popped to the Davenport branch whilst visiting friends who now live there.

New rides experienced since last visit Slinky dog dash, Galaxy's edge, FOP and Hagrid. My favourites were FOP and Hagrid. Star wars is a bit lost on me.

Lows: Obviously all the hassle of having to rearrange return flight due to the BA strike, I originally asked to be rerouted via Dublin with Are Lingus but they refused as they had no agreements with them in place. The next day after sorting more annual leave it took 15 hours to get through to the call centre and they still only offered a return flight three days later. We had WTplus on the return flight, not many airlines do this, I'm sure they were worried I'd be after downgrade compensation (they must know I'm a "dibber")

Everyone at home worrying about the hurricane.

Walmart, Turkey Lane branch, just not very keen anymore. Target is much nicer.

The cabin was completely full on the return journey, I had an incident with the flight attendant who was downright rude. I'll address a complaint to them when I've received all my compensation bill which is approximately £750.

Overall:

It was a great holiday, enjoyed all the parks, although it was very hot. Due to anti sickness medication from my GP, I managed to avoid having any migraines during this holiday, which is a first on a florida holiday.

Disney restaurants visited: Grand Floridian Brunch, O'Hanna, Garden Grill Breakfast (loved the breakfast but the revolving aspect would probably prevent a return visit), I felt very dizzy. Splitsville lovely burger, Sanaa (my son did not enjoy this one), California Grill Brunch, the experience was lovely but I don't think I could pay out of pocket for this one. $190.71 with tax plus $36 tip. Two precious dining credits each. I had eggs benedict and I'm afraid it was nothing special. Yak & Yeti, Via Napoli and Rainforest Cafe.

Opted out of housekeeping it was fine, they gave me additional gift card for $30 for the extra three nights, they didn't deduct the one night as they didn't come and clean the room.

Thanks for reading.
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Glad you had a great time thanks for sharing 😊
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We flew out the same day as you and flew back a day later.

Sounds like a good trip, and the parks were great being so quiet. We also liked hagrids and FOP (we've previously done the latter), but having done Smugglers run 3 times we didn't overly rate it.

Good luck with your BA complaint as they are a nightmare to get hold of, and if I've been lucky enough to get someone on the phone it's usually an Indian call centre and it's easier holding a conversation with my cocker spaniel.

I am not impressed with the service from BA of late, and club going out for us was worse service than economy (very lazy cabin crew).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What a great and informative report, well done.

It sounds like you had a brilliant time and had very few issues. Bit unusual for Alamo to not answer the phone, must have been a busy period when you tried. I did chuckle when I read your Husband has agreed to come next time. Bet you are pleased about that.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List