Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 30 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Cataracts

Just found out my Cataract Op which was postponed in June is now going to happen 5 weeks before we are due to go on holiday.

From what i have read it sounds like I will be over the worst but I don't want it to impact on my holiday too much especially as the sight in the other eye isn't at all good because of crvo's and macular oedema.

I doubt I will be able to get any new glasses before I go.

Any tips/advice anyone can offer please?
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have had both eyes done was a very quick recovery for both. Best thing I had done
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I had my eyes done a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. Because I am eye phobic I had a general anaesthetic (x2) and had to stay in bed at the hospital for the afternoon. Once the eye patch was off the next day and the drops finished my first eye was fine and the sight settled immediately. With the second eye I developed an allergy to the drops (over Christmas) and had to see the eye A&E unit at the hospital. My eye was sore and red for a few days, a bit fuzzy with the Vaseline type stuff I had to put on then once the drops finished I was fine.

I can’t remember any advice about travelling, the CAA recommendation is 24 hour after unless it is complicated. I was advised not to do high impact exercise for 6 weeks and not to get any glasses until 6 weeks - luckily didn’t need them. My MIL just took one lens out of her regular glasses for distance. Not sure what she did for reading - my consultant said to go to the £ shop if I needed anything.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

That's very reassuring, I just hope mine goes as smoothly. The reason my op was postponed is because of my complex medical history, and the fact I am prone to having blackouts. As a result they are going to have to do it in the hospitals main theatre where a larger medical team can be on hand rather than the eye clinic theatre. I also have to get thru a more advanced pre op assessment yet with a Consultant Anaesthetist as well.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I didnt have a General. It was painless albeit very strange. Couple of days it was like seeing the world in HD!
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I have cattaracts and odema's too - and other condition which exasperates it. I'd be interested on an update of how it all goes if that's OK? Good luck with it all! And as others have said everyone I know who has had it had a quick recovery so hopefully you will be fine.
Old 31 Jul 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Thanks Salmim, so pleased to hear it went well for you.
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi Sarah,

Of course I'll be happy to give an update once t's all done.

They are going to try and do my right eye cataract to see if they can improve the sight in that eye enough so I can start driving again.

My left eye I have 4 weekly anti-vegf injections in to help the oedema which does help a bit, but my vision in that eye is still quite poor most of the time. It's quite frightening when I can't see the eye chart let alone read any letters on it! I have a cataract on the left as well but no plans to operate on that one yet, not sure if it will even be possible given the other problems in that eye.

I also have Diabetic Retinopathy and Maculopathy affecting both eyes.

I am quite sure it will all be ok in the long term but was just more concerned about the impact if any on our holiday.
Old 31 Jul 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Completely! Hopefully recovery will be quick and you'll be fine for going! I haven't tried the odema injections yet as mine seem fairly stable so just been through the medication (pins and needles were awful so for now I'm off and they are monitoring).