Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Beyond the Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.
Orlando Attractions
Unread 24 Aug 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Red Tide this year ?

Hi,
Has anyone seen or heard of Red Tide reports on the gulf coast this year
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
7th trip of a lifetime (nearly) sigh !
Unread 24 Aug 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yesterdays 23rd August very very low no fish kill safe swimming and no advisorys in place currently
Havent=checked to day
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 19, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Whilst no major reports, per last year's carnage (red tide's a few miles out), advisories are stay out of the water, unseen toxins became present once the Army Corp of Engineers began releasing Lake O algae laden waters in July.

Whilst there's currently no red tide (usually hits Gulf shores atween Nov to Feb), bear in mind Lake O is the final destination for a plethora of toxins, pesticides, human and animal waste, everything that runs down from north Fl ends up in Lake O where it ferments prior to release when Lake O reaches height limits. General release direction is West (brown stuff hit the fan re the East being affected last year too), think Mar-a-Lago!

The Army Corps of Engineers are regularly sued in the US, this year is no different with conservationists and even US Sugar lawyers sharpening their quills over the handling of SW Fl water. In June, courts rejected a lawsuit alleging Army CofE management of water flow from Lake O into the Caloosahatchee River caused pollution problems in the SW Fla waterway. It might have been an easy reject... Court; did you release filthy, toxin laden water from Lake O which bumped into red tide, causing cyanobacteria and a devastating ecological disaster? Yes. Why? Cos the Gov says we have to when the level gets too high. Nowt but right, case dismissed.

Sadly water toxins affect many areas. A trio of dogs recently died in NC after swimming in a pond with toxic cyanobacteria (blue/green) algae.
Unread 25 Aug 19, 05:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Im by no means scaremongering and certainly have no expertise in this area but we thought it was a bit smelly. Weve never noticed this before on AMI so we did wonder if it might be developing.
We still went in as there were plenty of others in the water.
Sadly it wasnt crystal clear this trip but the weather had been awful before we arrived there

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weddingmoon!
Unread 25 Aug 19, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Whilst no major reports, per last year's carnage (red tide's a few miles out), advisories are stay out of the water, unseen toxins became present once the Army Corp of Engineers began releasing Lake O algae laden waters in July.
Chris, where can I find these advisories, please?
They seem at odds with the latest reports from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
( myfwc/research/redtide/statewide/ ) and the Mote Aquarium (visitbeaches/#)

Edited at 08:05 AM.
JohnD is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cape Coral here we come
Unread 25 Aug 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisatink
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We have just come back from Marco island today. Lovely sea and beaches with no mention of red tide. This place is still recovering from Hurricane Irma but no mention of the red tide. We chartered a fishing boat, visited beaches and went kayaking. X
Lisatink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our orlando/Marco island holiday
Unread 25 Aug 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Chris, where can I find these advisories, please?
They seem at odds with the latest reports from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
( myfwc/research/redtide/statewide/ ) and the Mote Aquarium (visitbeaches/#)
Hi John, surprisingly the first link you post states K. brevis (red tide) was observed at background to very low concentrations in Sarasota County, as I recently read it was 'miles out' that link intimates red tide may be further inland.

Re the beaches, I didn't make comment in my post as I'm not monitoring. The info re water quality is coming from SW Fl Clean Water Activists, who regularly test various waters, and have been fighting Lake O discharges for a few years, plus island commercial fishermen/locals out boating keep residents water issues informed. The advisory to avoid swimming has been in place since last year, it's only an advisory, people can do as they wish, but be aware Lake O has been discharging since July.
Unread 26 Aug 19, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi John, surprisingly the first link you post states K. brevis (red tide) was observed at background to very low concentrations in Sarasota County, as I recently read it was 'miles out' that link intimates red tide may be further inland.

Re the beaches, I didn't make comment in my post as I'm not monitoring. The info re water quality is coming from SW Fl Clean Water Activists, who regularly test various waters, and have been fighting Lake O discharges for a few years, plus island commercial fishermen/locals out boating keep residents water issues informed. The advisory to avoid swimming has been in place since last year, it's only an advisory, people can do as they wish, but be aware Lake O has been discharging since July.
Chris, thanks for the reply. If I understand it correctly, there are no official advisories in force, only advisories from an activist group and only 1 recorded instance at very low levels. We need to keep things in proportion.