Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Syjen
Very Serious Dibber

Help! DD suffering with anxiety and travel

Looking for help and advice from you lovely Dibbers. My DD was involved in a car accident in Jan on the motorway, luckily she walked away with no injuries but back/pelvis pain (which she's having physio for). Unfortunately she suffering from the psychological effects, which seem to be getting worse!We booked this trip a few months ago to give her something positive to focus on, now I'm unsure it was the right thing to do.
She was originally diagnosed with anxiety and depression but now has PTSD, and struggles with all forms of transport. Heavy rain and overtaking reduce her to tears on the motorway, trains and buses are no go, and last week she revealed she's having sleepless night about flying followed by this weekend raising concerns about 'what if the monorail falls off the track'. She's also struggling with things like having to spend time alone or working shifts were she hasn't the comfort blanket of her brother being there. She saw the mental health nurse today who tried to prescribe her beta blockers for the plane journey, but the GP has revoked the prescription saying they are no longer prescribed for this.
Has anyone any experience of similar situations with people struggling with similar conditions who can offer tips on damage limitation for the flights?
Syjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach78
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Hi, I was involved in a car accident at 19 and even now 20 odd years later, in similar situations it can still have an effect so I can sympathise with your DD. I also am not a great flyer. I do not see why a gp would not prescribe beta blockers if the nurse thought they would help, I dont think all gps would have this opinion, I have taken them in the past for anxiety and found them useful. I also take diazepam for flying which does help me. Your DD obviously needs support and time. Her anxiety levels are clearly high. Does she want to go? My opinion is that it is best to try and face these things head on, but that is just my opinion, doesnt mean that it is the right thing to do for everyone. I really hope that you manage to get there and she can enjoy a holiday that it sounds like she badly needs xxx
Rach78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi, so sorry to read about your dd. I can totally understand as I have ptsd due to life events. Is your daughter on medication/receiving treatment for it? if so it sounds like her care plan needs reviewed.

Please see another gp as she is able under the ptsd protocol to get help with flying. Maybe the gp refused as it might not be something she can take with her ptsd meds.

Always here if you need to chat or if I can help in anyway.

Sending hugs to you all.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Syjen
Very Serious Dibber

MASSIVE thanks to both of you for the advice and support.
She is desperate to be there... it's just the fact she really needs a plane to get her there!
She's on medication (as of a couple of weeks ago, so still waiting for it to take effect) seeing a mental health nurse and is due to start more counselling soon.
Hopefully Dad's calming influence will get here there, then as the Magic kicks in, she'll hopefully be able to forget everything for a few days while we're there
Syjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I hope all works out well and your dd gets some much needed rest.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

I had CBT for PTSD a few years ago and it worked wonders. You could also get a private prescription for medication. Might be worth a consideration
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
shimmers
Proud to wear my Ears

Hello there. My daughter is 13 and similarly struggling with anxiety and very low mood although she has not been in an accident. We are due to fly with Thomas Cook (despite impending troubles they are in) and I called them a wee while back on their "special assistance" number and they were very helpful. I actually booked special assistance on the flight for my daughter as she struggles badly in crowded in airports etc. I also looked up Manchester airport special assistance page and they operate a sunflower lanyard scheme as do most airports now and this is a symbol that there is a hidden disability or anxiety/PTSD and staff are trained to recognise this. Have a look at the airport website for info on this and other things they do to assist anxious passengers. My daughter wants to go on holiday but is very worried about the flight and getting there. I actually have purchased my own sunflower lanyard now to help her in busy places. There is a facebook group called hidden disabilities sunflower lanyard scheme which is very helpful and you will find others on there who struggle with anxiety too. Hope this is of some help.
shimmers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
shimmers
Proud to wear my Ears

I should mention my daughter has sensory processing disorder so there are other things going on for her but it leads to anxiety and panic attacks in busy and crowded places.
shimmers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Would something like Rescue Remedy help at all? Obviously in a different league to prescription meds, but my son has had sleep anxiety (resulting in hysteria until gone midnight sometimes) and it has really helped him. He also KNOWS it helps him, which is half the battle. And you can't have too much, so we just keep spraying if needs be (although 2 sprays usually does the trick now) x

ETA they also do blackcurrant pastilles too which just look like a tin of sweets if she's conscious of people looking/ watching x

Edited at 09:35 AM.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I was in a car crash a few years ago so can really understand what your daughter is feeling.
One thing that has helped me recently with a lot of anxiety is to try meditation. You can download the headspace app that she might be able to use on the plane and in the lead up. It really does have a very calming effect on me so might be worth her trying it to see if it helps. Hope you manage to get her there.
craaazyuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List