Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Sep 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great Lakes Grooving: Day 8 Keweenaw Peninsula and Marquette

Sunday 14 July

We were leaving Ontonagon today so we concentrated on packing once we were up. It didn't take long and then we walked to the other place to eat in Ontonagon - Syl's Cafe. This is a diner with a Finnish influence and their main breakfast is giant omelettes. It was really popular and we all had a hearty breakfast.

Then it was back to tidy up and empty the bins before we set off for Marquette, our next stop along Lake Superior.

We took a bit of a detour up the Keweenaw Peninsula, which is a former copper mining area. We had planned a stop off at Houghton which is the home of Michigan Tech and, as we found out, the birthplace of commercial ice hockey! We parked up and had a walk around, with Paul being pleased to spot the Keweenaw Brewing Company as we had been enjoying their beers so far!

It was a nice little town and you could see why it would be popular with students.

Then it was back on the road to Marquette. We called at a Walmart on the way into the town and stocked up on more bug spray and antihistamines and some Benadryl. No more would it be Bugs 1 Family 0 - we were prepared. Like Bear Grylls, we were going to Improvise, Adapt and most of all, Overcome!

Then it was on to Dairy Queen so Paul could have a Moolatte and Evan could get a Cotton Candy Blizzard. We also got a Royal Cheesecake and Brownie Blizzard. We love Dairy Queen!

Then it was on to our next AirBnB, Dragonfly Dunes. This place looked adorably quirky in the listing and didn't disappoint. It was a wooden cabin with lots of wood and on display and quirky decor. There were also squirrel/bird feeders on the window.

It was pretty spacious, with 2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms and we really enjoyed all the little touches.

There was also a "tweeting" clock which had a different bird sound for each hour. Fortunately the night time birds were very quiet and didn't disturb us.

It did have a "shared bathroom" which was a bit odd. The upstairs bathroom has a sauna and the hosts also have another property nearby and those guests are allowed to use this bathroom. It had outside access as well and we were advised to lock the door from the inside when we were using it. It was a bit strange and I locked it from the inside at night as I didn't want people coming into the property. In the end, nobody else used it but it was odd. The sauna was also extremely small and would have been very claustrophobic, so we didn't bother.

There was a beach nearby, so we headed to possibly have a swim. Our host had warned us that the steps had been destroyed in a storm so you had to climb down a sandbank to get there but that was fine and not too steep.

We did have a quick and fairly bracing swim in Lake Superior which was very cold but enjoyable, especially as it was so hot. We got out and began to dry ourselves off to get dressed when suddenly everything changed . . .

Yes, the bugs were back. This time they were stable flies which look at bit like houseflies and which bite. It was like a scene from a horror film with us screaming and flapping around and then running for the car while covered in the damn things. There was a desperate scramble up the sand and a race to the car, all the while feeling the evil creatures chomping at us. We had taken a lot of them into the car with us so there was more flapping and attempted squishings, then we set off and opened the windows to hopefully blow the little gits out.

So that's why there were some people walking on the beach but nobody was sitting down!

Fortunately it was only a couple of minutes drive back to the cabin and we could get changed out of our swimming stuff. What an experience!

Our hosts had recommended a Mexican place in Marquette, the Border Grill, so we headed there for our tea and it was really nice.

Back at the cabin, we liberally applied bug spray and lit some anti-bug torches that we found and sat outside with a beer. It was lovely - and far fewer bugs than at the beach.

Then it was time for showers and chilling inside before bed. There was a TV at this cabin but it only seemed to pick up one channel, so we gave up after a while!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

The flies sound vicious! We had similar with mozzies at one of the Canadian cabins - we went through a lot of bug spray that week!

What a strange set up with the sauna. Though the cabin looks lovely otherwise!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh no more bugs🙁 that sounds really rubbish and hope you didn’t get too badly bitten. The sauna/bathroom sounds a bit odd too but glad you didn’t have any visitors
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Your cabin looks amazing! Such a shame about the flies on the beach, I hate bugs they seem to ruin every nice outdoor activity for everyone! Still loving this trip though, your photos are lovely.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The flies sound vicious! We had similar with mozzies at one of the Canadian cabins - we went through a lot of bug spray that week!

What a strange set up with the sauna. Though the cabin looks lovely otherwise!
The sauna arrangement was quite odd and I may have reconsidered booking if I'd known at the time. However, it was a lovely cabin.

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Oh no more bugs🙁 that sounds really rubbish and hope you didn’t get too badly bitten. The sauna/bathroom sounds a bit odd too but glad you didn’t have any visitors
It would have been very weird to bump into someone else in there! I imagine they also thought it was weird and so didn't bother.

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Your cabin looks amazing! Such a shame about the flies on the beach, I hate bugs they seem to ruin every nice outdoor activity for everyone! Still loving this trip though, your photos are lovely.
The cabin was fantastic and we had such a lovely stay there, even with Bug Beach!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

You didn’t have good luck avoiding the bugs, I cringed reading about them, I do hate bugs. The log cabin looks lovely though. The sauna set up seems a bit strange though. I do love the photo of you all sitting outside relaxing, it looks very restful
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Oh you're making me scratch, evil little creatures they are. I'm not exactly sure what their purpose on this planet is!
Can you believe I've never been to a Dairy Queen?! Every time I read your reports I think to myself I really must try it out but I'm not sure we've ever spotted one. Will try harder next year

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
You didn’t have good luck avoiding the bugs, I cringed reading about them, I do hate bugs. The log cabin looks lovely though. The sauna set up seems a bit strange though. I do love the photo of you all sitting outside relaxing, it looks very restful
These flies were particularly evil, I can't believe they live at the beach.

It was such a restful place - we loved our time there.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh you're making me scratch, evil little creatures they are. I'm not exactly sure what their purpose on this planet is!
Can you believe I've never been to a Dairy Queen?! Every time I read your reports I think to myself I really must try it out but I'm not sure we've ever spotted one. Will try harder next year
Dairy Queen is great - you have to try it. The Blizzards are so good!
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I do like that Bear Grylls quote! I must remember it for our upcoming trip.
Glad you were ready to face the pesky biting critters today but oh my they sounded really dreadful

The cabin looks lovely. Although I can’t see if that’s an indoor hammock or giant underpants in the pic !
Totally not sure on the shared sauna business. That’s too weird .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I do like that Bear Grylls quote! I must remember it for our upcoming trip.
Glad you were ready to face the pesky biting critters today but oh my they sounded really dreadful

The cabin looks lovely. Although I can’t see if that’s an indoor hammock or giant underpants in the pic !
Totally not sure on the shared sauna business. That’s too weird .
We love that Bear Grylls quote and like to bust it out at every opportunity.

LOL - it was an indoor hammock but did look very much like a giant pair of underpants!

Just noticed your countdown - woohoo, you're nearly on your way!