Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 10 Aug 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love all your reports sorry to say welcome home to Dublin!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Have really enjoyed your report, thank you for posting. I ❤️ the pretzels, I buy big bags of them at home, I prefer them to crisps 😋

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Final Thoughts and Plans for the Future..

Firstly, we had an absolutely brilliant time. A Florida holiday without Disney or Universal is 100% do-able. We didn't feel that we missed out on anything and there was never a moment where we regretted our decision – even on the day we went to Disney Springs. The fact we could have almost two weeks in Florida for the same price as 10 days in Lanzarote was a no brainer for us. In the past, we've done all the major parks, stayed onsite in both Disney and Universal, had the Dining Plan and also done the villa holiday. Would we do Florida on a budget again, with no major parks? Absolutely.

Weather – the end of June, beginning of July is SO hot. The average temperature was about 35 degrees with a real feel of about 40. At times it was stifling, particularly when we were in Clearwater. We had three rainy evenings, with massive thunderstorms – they were amazing. Saying that, on a number of occasions, we managed to dodge the localised rain storms. When we were driving to Daytona Market, the road was dry all the way, but when we arrived, part of the Market had been flooded in the previous hour. We never saw a drop of rain!

Traffic / Driving
– the traffic has gotten worse since our last visit in 2016. A 15 minute journey (6 miles) along the I4 took us an hour at least, on more than one occasion. Traffic on the 192 and 535 was constantly backed up – the roads were like a car park at times. Also, the amount of inconsiderate and dangerous drivers, was frightening. DH was convinced that when he indicated to change lanes, the driver behind would speed up to prevent him moving. This could have been to move into a lane to exit – shocking behaviour!

Actual I4 image!

Parks
– we visited Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Centre & Gatorland. It was so nice not to be faced with queues for rides, food and restrooms. There were no walls of people and plenty of shady spots with seats, to take a rest. We didn't have to plan every moment of our holiday around fast passes and ADR's, 6 months in advance. It made us think why we have spent thousands of dollars over the years on the major parks to queue for hours, in crowds, for everything. It's not value for money or the magical experience it once was.

Villa – we stayed in a fabulous Dibb villa in Chatham Circle. On myself and DH's first trip in 1998 we stayed in this community, so it was lovely to be back. The villa was everything we hoped for and we'd definitely stay here again.

Food – we proved that we could eat on a budget. We had read loads of trip reports and food reports from others who had done the same (dixonsontour – we're looking at you!), and set ourselves a challenge of $120 a day. The fact we spent just under $1,500 (excluding tips) for two weeks for a family of four, shows it can be done. We never felt we missed out and enjoyed (almost) every meal. We also surprised ourselves with the amount of ice cream we ate!

Our awards are as follows: -
Best Meal – Millers Ale House (Prime Rib French Dip Sandwich)
Best Meal Runner Up - Buffalo Wild Wings (wings!)
Worst Meal – Chilis on the 192 (all of it)
Best Breakfast – IHOP (pancakes!)
Worst Breakfast – Perkins on the 192 (Eggs in a Hole )
Best Value (Fast Food) Meal – Wendy's (Biggie Bag)
Best Value (non Fast Food) Meal – Frenchy's Original Cafe ($4.50 glass of wine & $7.95 pitcher of beer!)

Future Plans

We're hoping to return in October 2020 for Halloween Horror Nights. Our DS1 will be 16 and it's something he's always wanted to do. We're hoping to stay onsite in Universal for 10 nights in Sapphire Falls. The plan would be not to hire a car and rely on Uber and the iTrolley instead, which we've never done before. We hope to do Universal and possibly Seaworld and DH and DS1 will do one night, possibly two of HHN. Obviously we can't book anything until closer to Christmas, but we've already started pricing up park tickets, hotels etc..

We'd like to acknowledge everyone who's ever written a food or trip report. The amount of dedication required is enormous and all for the pleasure of those reading..! We found it so difficult to constantly remember to take photos, especially before anyone started eating..! Thank you for sharing your holiday and reports with us - it's much appreciated..! Reading all the reports we have, gave us the encouragement to write one of our own.

Lastly, thank you for reading. I know it hasn't been easy when we've forgotten to take photos or the photos are of half eaten food (or sausages and toast again..!) We hope you enjoyed our report and find some of it helpful in your planning.

DisDubs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Loved your report,thanks very much for doing it!.Glad you had a great time
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have loved reading along with your food trippie Thank you for taking the time to do it,

Joan
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Great report. 😊 Glad you had such a good trip.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Well done on your 1st report, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to do this, Ive enjoyed reading along 😃
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Thank you for taking the time to write this, I have really enjoyed reading it! You had some great sounding meals and all on a good budget. Can't believe the amount of sausage and toast your son at though!
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thank you for writing the report. We are onsite for the first time ever next year but your report has opened my eyes to the possibility of a trip in early June 2021 without Disney when DS is finished 5th year. Next year is only happening in May because he will be in TY.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List